CP3 Rumored Trade

Chris Paul for Oubre/Rubio/Jerome?

• Yes I would make the trade

• No I would not make the trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Was he? This idea that they had nothing there is just wrong. Paul might have been their best overall player but it was really close. SGA and Adams both had great seasons, some want to credit that solely to Paul but I think that does those players a disservice. Strong coaching and the play of SGA, Adams, Noel, Gallinari, Schroder and yes, Chris Paul, took them to an unexpected season.
SGA was good but it doesn’t take a genius to see that OKC only went as far as Paul would take them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SGA was good but it doesn’t take a genius to see that OKC only went as far as Paul would take them.

Anyone with any sense at all can see I'm right. Only an idiot would disagree with my point. I'm sure anyone with a brain can see that this is the way it is. It doesn't take a genius to load up a post with absurd absolutes like I just used, in response to your attempt to do the same thing.

In my not so genius opinion, take SGA off that roster and they are severely weakened. Take Billy Donovan out of the Head Coach position and they are nothing like what we saw. Take Steven Adams out of the lineup and they are a far weaker team. And so on, genius or not.

How important was Chris Paul? Very. But he didn't carry that team and he didn't get them where they were by himself. And it has no relevance to my previous points about Paul, which had to do with the fact that over his 7 most recent non-shortened seasons, he's missed a boatload of basketball games. And as he ages, that tendency is likely to worsen. No guarantees one way or the other, but the pattern greatly concerns some of us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was he? This idea that they had nothing there is just wrong. Paul might have been their best overall player but it was really close. SGA and Adams both had great seasons, some want to credit that solely to Paul but I think that does those players a disservice. Strong coaching and the play of SGA, Adams, Noel, Gallinari, Schroder and yes, Chris Paul, took them to an unexpected season.

come on... it was NOT close as far as who their best player was. Putting Adams in the conversation is really out there. Chris was the engine that made that team go.

also, next year will be shortened and there’s talk about figuring out a schedule in which they can limit travel so maybe there won’t be the wear and tear on him.

steve... we know you flat out HATE Chris Paul as a player. Do you think that’s clouding your judgement a little bit here. As good as SGA is and going to be, he’s not the leader or geneRal on the court on both ends of the court that Paul is. Trying to take the lions share of the credit for him there would be like doing the same for Nash in his first MVP year because his stats only showed him averaging 16/11.

also, Rubio has been banged up the last two seasons as well, playing only 58 of the first 65 games, missing 7 games before the pandemic this year and missing 14 the previous year.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I’m not even saying I’m 100% behind this possible trade, but minimizing Chris Paul’s contributions to OKC doesn’t help the argument against him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
come on... it was NOT close as far as who their best player was. Putting Adams in the conversation is really out there. Chris was the engine that made that team go.

also, next year will be shortened and there’s talk about figuring out a schedule in which they can limit travel so maybe there won’t be the wear and tear on him.

steve... we know you flat out HATE Chris Paul as a player. Do you think that’s clouding your judgement a little bit here. As good as SGA is and going to be, he’s not the leader or geneRal on the court on both ends of the court that Paul is. Trying to take the lions share of the credit for him there would be like doing the same for Nash in his first MVP year because his stats only showed him averaging 16/11.

also, Rubio has been banged up the last two seasons as well, playing only 58 of the first 65 games, missing 7 games before the pandemic this year and missing 14 the previous year.
And even if he wasn't their best player, who cares. He would be a great fit next to Booker and Ayton. Also any lineup with Paul, Bridges and Ayton could be very strong defensively.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Going out on a limb and stating neither Paul nor Rubio play 60+ games next year. Both are aging/injury prone coming off a short offseason. Paul’s soft tissue issues aren’t KJ-bad but it was a yearly occurrence before last season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I dislike pretty much everything I know about Chris Paul, you're right there and I haven't tried to hide it. My bias probably does have something to do with my hesitation to just let posts I disagree with go by without comment but I don't believe it's colored my actual comments.

IMO I've tried to limit my more recent responses mostly to the facts, I haven't spent much time talking about his negative impact on teammates (OKC notwithstanding, maybe) or the possibility that he won't be able to get away with his flopping and ref-baiting when he's wearing a Suns uniform (can't help but think of Kurt Thomas having to adjust to no longer being able to play the game the way he had in New York).

Anyway, in response to several posts suggesting that Paul basically did it all by himself, I've pushed back with opinions here and there but it's mostly been with facts. Along the way, I've also acknowledged that Chris is probably the main reason they won 44 games. But Adams is huge for that defense and the presence of SGA allowed Paul the freedom to do what he does. Take either of them off that team and IMO we're not talking about how great Paul was last season.

As for Rubio, yeah, he isn't the most dependable player and with the (possible) upcoming olympics, I have even greater concerns about our future with him. But as bad as his injury history has been, it's really nothing like Paul's and he's also far less likely to succumb to Father Time in the next two years than Paul is.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, would I trade Oubre and Rubio for Paul if we knew that we'd get one healthy season from him and he'd miss every game the next season? Yes, I would. But I would not trade for him if we had reason to expect we were getting the Chris Paul that missed more than a quarter of his team's games, as he did in each of the 3 seasons prior to the Covid year.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's ALOT of ifs for 85 mil.

Granted CP would be great when/IF he played.

IF he stays healthy
IF he and Book are compatible
IF we can keep the #10
IF we can get the PF we need
IF he's the same CP that played last year with a 3 month break
IF he can bump his assists over 6.5(with our shooters should be ok)
If our offence doesn't slow too much.
If he doesn't strangle Ayton for being too soft and go to jail
etc

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I will again reiterate that the best player in the entire NBA to get Ayton to come out of whatever shell he is in is Chris Paul. That means something.

I’m not sure why you are so confident of this.

I am pretty sure all the coaches and probably several players have been yelling at ayton to get more aggressive and it hasn’t worked so far.

just because Paul might take it to another level doesn’t mean it will suddenly work. Some people just don’t respond to that.

I hope your right but my experience is people that aren’t self motivated typically never reach their potential.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am pretty sure all the coaches and probably several players have been yelling at ayton to get more aggressive and it hasn’t worked so far.

just because Paul might take it to another level doesn’t mean it will suddenly work. Some people just don’t respond to that.

I hope your right but my experience is people that aren’t self motivated typically never reach their potential.

maybe he means if there’s anyone who could it would be Paul who can get him there?

man, it blows that questions about his motor is even part of the conversation. That kid has so much natural talent, size and athleticism.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Ayton’s “issues” (and this is splitting hairs, really) are not because of lack of self-motivation.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ayton’s “issues” (and this is splitting hairs, really) are not because of lack of self-motivation.
This. Not so much motivation, but a lack of an aggressive mindset at times or sometimes can lose focus.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And I will again reiterate that the best player in the entire NBA to get Ayton to come out of whatever shell he is in is Chris Paul. That means something.
The best player in the NBA to get Ayton out of his shell is Ayton.

When did Chris Paul become the Center Whisperer?
Just because you say it doesn't make it fact.
CP wont be handing Ayton any more assists than Rubio does.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns should pay attention that there is not a lot of interest for large salaries.

See this about Russell Westbrook from Brian Windhorst of ESPN.

Westbrook is three years younger than Chris Paul.

From RealGM:

"I've got bad news for him on both of those fronts," said Brian Windhorst on Sports Center. "New coach Stephen Silas has said he does not intend to change the offense very much. I've surveyed a significant part of the league today and I don't think there's a lot of interest in Russell Westbrook trades out there. Not because they don't think he's not much of a player, but because of his contract."

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...Find-Much-Interest-In-Russell-Westbrook-Trade

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the trade for Chris Paul is more about adding a star to make the Suns more attractive for future free agents and perhaps convince Booker the Suns are set on improving the team.

The Suns can make a statement with Booker, Ayton and Paul at least on paper. Also not to be forgotten is Paul's huge expiring salary after two seasons which makes the Suns a player for future free agents. It makes them a player in free agency.

With all this said, I wish the Suns were more intent on improving the team at power forward and quality depth at other positions. Also it says the Suns do not value Oubre, much like TJ Warren, as a player. I think this is wrong and they will regret. Also Rubio is a very solid point guard on a more reasonable contract.

It feels like the Suns are trying to catch the Steve Nash magic again when they signed him from Dallas. Maybe they can but there is a huge risk involved with Paul's age, salary and propensity to miss games.

Again I think it's all about the Suns adding another star and hoping it works. It also implies Oubre and Rubio are disposable.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Warren situation isn’t remotely similar. The Suns traded Warren for NOTHING. They literally did it to create space to maybe possibly sign someone.

If Oubre and Rubio are traded for Paul, they will have been traded for a HoF PG that finished 7th in MVP voting last year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warren situation isn’t remotely similar. The Suns traded Warren for NOTHING. They literally did it to create space to maybe possibly sign someone.

If Oubre and Rubio are traded for Paul, they will have been traded for a HoF PG that finished 7th in MVP voting last year.

If the Thunder didn't think Oubre and Rubio had value they wouldn't trade for them. They are probably going to flip one or both for more assets.

Hopefully Chris Paul will live up to his resume or he could be in decline much like Steve Nash was when he was traded to the Lakers. Except Nash was signed to a reasonable contract.

I think Oubre has tremendous upside and Rubio is a very competent point guard perhaps near the same level as Paul going forward. So if it doesn't work out with Paul we may be watching Oubre explode like Warren did with the Pacers. Also remember the Suns sent an early second round pick to the Pacers to trade Warren so they could sign Rubio.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Thunder didn't think Oubre and Rubio had value they wouldn't trade for them. They are probably going to flip one or both for more assets.

Hopefully Chris Paul will live up to his resume or he could be in decline much like Steve Nash was when he was traded to the Lakers. Except Nash was signed to a reasonable contract.

I think Oubre has tremendous upside and Rubio is a very competent point guard perhaps near the same level as Paul going forward. So if it doesn't work out with Paul we may be watching Oubre explode like Warren did with the Pacers. Also remember the Suns sent an early second round pick to the Pacers to trade Warren so they could sign Rubio.

Just as long as we get a power forward...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as long as we get a power forward...

A starting power forward is a must.

I wouldn't mind going forward with the same Suns team after tweaking the roster with some added depth and improvement through the draft.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Nash was 38 when he went to the Lakers. His age 35 season was 2009-10. We got 3 good years out of Nash after hitting 35. Hopefully we would get something similar with Paul.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash was 38 when he went to the Lakers. His age 35 season was 2009-10. We got 3 good years out of Nash after hitting 35. Hopefully we would get something similar with Paul.

This is the gamble. If the Suns get good production out of Paul for a couple of seasons the trade will be viewed as a success.