CP3 Rumored Trade

Chris Paul for Oubre/Rubio/Jerome?

• Yes I would make the trade

• No I would not make the trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am in favor of the trade but I won't believe it until it happens.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul on The Tonight Show doesn't reveal any clues.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Indeed. The Suns put themselves in this situation when they signed Oubre to only a two year contract. I think most of us realized at the time it would come back to haunt us. IMO, Oubre is a better and younger player than Warren.

Any team that wants to keep Oubre should offer a first round pick. If not the Suns should keep him. Who knows what can happen during the course of a season. Maybe the Suns decide to keep him.

yep totally agree. I was shocked when that negotiation with Oubre went on as long as it did and only was a 2 year deal for a guy, by all accounts, actually wanted to be here. Could have signed him to 5 year reasonable deal and hed have major value right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep totally agree. I was shocked when that negotiation with Oubre went on as long as it did and only was a 2 year deal for a guy, by all accounts, actually wanted to be here. Could have signed him to 5 year reasonable deal and hed have major value right now.

It was a mistake not signing Oubre to at least a three year deal. I don't want to compare it to the Joe Johnson situation before he became a RFA but it reminds me of that.

I'd dislike seeing Oubre go to another team and blossom like Warren but I really think it's more probable than Warren's success.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just think we were too far apart to reach a long term deal so we took a risk on a show me contract instead. And it could have worked out well for both sides if it hadn't been for Kelly's season ending knee injury and the fact that the development of Bridges and Cam Johnson made him a little more expendable.

That said, I'm not convinced that he's out the door even now. He loves being here and he's loved by his teammates and the fans and while he's only a "star" on occasion, he's enough of a serious threat most nights to keep the defense from tripling Booker. When your point guard is Ricky Rubio, you need a real scoring threat at the other spots or the defense gets a free run at Devin.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We know at the time the Suns were looking forward to free agency 2021, and that's why he signed the 2 year deal. It's why we signed Rubio to a 3 year deal at the time as well. I'm not sure why the confusion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We know at the time the Suns were looking forward to free agency 2021, and that's why he signed the 2 year deal. It's why we signed Rubio to a 3 year deal at the time as well. I'm not sure why the confusion.

not sure this tracks. If they were only looking at 2021 FA, why wouldn’t they have given Rubio a 2 year deal also? How does giving Rubio 3 years and still taking up cap space during the 2021 FA period point to that’s what they were thinking of? If cap space in 2021 was the driving factor, seems like they’d want both contracts to expire at the same time. I thought that talk was we’d have a lot of cap space THIS off-season and none of us were too crazy about that because it didn’t look like a good FA year.

all the talk I remember at the time was they wanted Oubre on a longer term deal but the two sides couldn’t work it out.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure this tracks. If they were only looking at 2021 FA, why wouldn’t they have given Rubio a 2 year deal also? How does giving Rubio 3 years and still taking up cap space during the 2021 FA period point to that’s what they were thinking of?

all the talk I remember at the time was they wanted Oubre on a longer term deal but the two sides couldn’t work it out.

This is how I remember it.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rumblings that I have read make me think the Suns would only bring in CP3 as part of a larger contending move, possibly using their cap space to bring in another big piece to a contending team. The Flex guy on twitter is eluding to the possibility that Paul is orchestrating a bigger move to Phoenix than just him.

This makes more sense. If you just get CP3, maybe you make the playoffs in the next two years, but if you can add CP3 and a player like Gallo or Aaron Gordon, that might be enough to thrust us into contention in the west.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but any ideas on realistic players that could be added into a CP3 deal with the cap space we have?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumblings that I have read make me think the Suns would only bring in CP3 as part of a larger contending move, possibly using their cap space to bring in another big piece to a contending team.

This makes more sense. If you just get CP3, maybe you make the playoffs in the next two years, but if you can add CP3 and a player like Gallo or Aaron Gordon, that might be enough to thrust us into contention in the west.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but any ideas on realistic players that could be added into a CP3 deal with the cap space we have?

so, one theory I heard on the jump yesterday was that we could have a deal in place for Paul but not pull the trigger on the trade until AFTER FA, where we could make a big splash there, use up our 20 million in cap space and then make the trade.

if that is the plan and the hope is contend now... guys to play that PF spot could range from Ibaka, Gallo, Wood, hell, maybe even Draymond.

that said, that plan would seem to be a little too bright for our Suns, not to mention ridiculously expensive.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so, one theory I heard on the jump yesterday was that we could have a deal in place for Paul but not pull the trigger on the trade until AFTER FA, where we could make a big splash there, use up our 20 million in cap space and then make the trade.

if that is the plan and the hope is contend now... guys to play that PF spot could range from Ibaka, Gallo, Wood, hell, maybe even Draymond.

that said, that plan would seem to be a little too bright for our Suns, not to mention ridiculously expensive.

Yeah, I didn't consider the timing aspect. Maybe Paul is actively recruiting.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rumblings that I have read make me think the Suns would only bring in CP3 as part of a larger contending move, possibly using their cap space to bring in another big piece to a contending team. The Flex guy on twitter is eluding to the possibility that Paul is orchestrating a bigger move to Phoenix than just him.

I think you just named them, Gallo and Gordon would be the most likely, and we know Orlando likes Oubre.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If Chris Paul is actively trying to sweeten the pot in a possible trade to the Suns, I would be speechless. It's been so long since anyone of that pedigree has put in that kind of effort.

You could possibly use Tyson Chandler/LaMarcus Aldridge as the example, but Chris Paul now is a lot different than Chandler was at that time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would not make this trade. I think Rubio will be better than CP3 next year. It's not about what they have been but what they will be. I am fine with including Oubre, but putting all our eggs in the CP3 basket with his age and history of health is too dangerous IMO.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
not sure this tracks. If they were only looking at 2021 FA, why wouldn’t they have given Rubio a 2 year deal also? How does giving Rubio 3 years and still taking up cap space during the 2021 FA period point to that’s what they were thinking of? If cap space in 2021 was the driving factor, seems like they’d want both contracts to expire at the same time. I thought that talk was we’d have a lot of cap space THIS off-season and none of us were too crazy about that because it didn’t look like a good FA year.

We were desperate for a pg.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would not make this trade. I think Rubio will be better than CP3 next year. It's not about what they have been but what they will be. I am fine with including Oubre, but putting all our eggs in the CP3 basket with his age and history of health is too dangerous IMO.

What if he could find a way to get us a starting power forward, though, in addition?...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What if he could find a way to get us a starting power forward, though, in addition?...

We will be able to sign one of Gallo, Grant, or Bertranz with or without making the deal for Paul.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes primarily - but they would probably get a 1st rounder also.

It comes down to whether you think Gordon is an upgrade over the FA PF we can sign, and how much you would be willing to give up for that.

I might do a lottery protected future first for Gordon.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were desperate for a pg.

I’m aware. that still has nothing to do with signing him purposefully to a 3 year deal along with Oubre two year deal so we could have cap space in 2021.