CP3 Rumored Trade

Chris Paul for Oubre/Rubio/Jerome?

• Yes I would make the trade

• No I would not make the trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Would you be in favor of the Suns trading Kelly Oubre, Ricky Rubio, and Ty Jerome for Chris Paul (age 35) and his 2 year 85 million dollar contract?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really dislike cp3, BUT in a suns uniform, he might be a great addition to our core. We have a core right now, who aren't rookies, who aren't veterans but right in that spot where its make or break time. Time to get over that hump. Are we already headed that direction, yes. Will we lose Oubre anyway, probably.

Rubio: good vision, a little injury prone, bad shooting at times
CP3: great vision, a lot injury prone, better shooting

I'm not sure how we make up for Oubre, unless we move Cam up and fill with a draft pick.
CP3 is the singular reason why OKC had a better season that anyone could have imagined.

I voted yes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless it's the cost of keeping Devin Booker, I'd say no. It feels like a major reach.

I'd rather add a starting power forward in free agency.

If the Suns are intent on trading Oubre, let's clear cap space and add another draft pick. That way the Suns can add another big man and a point guard in the draft.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would you be in favor of the Suns trading Kelly Oubre, Ricky Rubio, and Ty Jerome for Chris Paul (age 35) and his 2 year 85 million dollar contract?

If that is the exact trade - it is not outrageous, but I would not make it if I was in charge.

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
If you had to choose a single player in the entire NBA that could push Ayton to reach his full potential, that player would be Chris Paul. Just sayin’.
This may be the #1 reason why I would make the trade.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One thing to consider: Giving up Oubre and getting an old Chris Paul in return makes a team already severely lacking in speed and athleticism that much slower and less athletic. It would put a premium on speed and athleticism in the draft and free agency, lest we get run out of the gym.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man I donknow i like Paul but he is 35 and would hate to give up obure....

What kind of num did paul put up last yr

When healthy obure is a good weapon

So meh on this

Isn't point of rebuild get younger not older lol

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Key considerations in favor of it:

1. Oubre is likely gone after this season. Who could he realistically be traded for who would have more of an immediate impact than Paul?

2. Paul instantly makes us a legitimate threat next season.

3. As for cap considerations, I am having a hard time imagining a Suns team that does not improve substantially by next season as being a destination for any free agents of note. Actually, it will be quite a challenge with the ownership here, regardless... but darn near impossible if the Suns are mired as a 30 win team again. So, in that case, what would we saving our cap space for for the next two years? To sign more Frank Kaminskys and Trevor Arizas?

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Classic case of recency bias and buying high. Suns have done this 1000x in recent years. Buying assets at a high and selling them at a low. Cp3 had one over achieving year (last year), other than that every one of his teams has underperformed. Not to mention hes an all world deusche with a huge contract and wed be giving up a young player. Pass.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Classic case of recency bias and buying high. Suns have done this 1000x in recent years. Buying assets at a high and selling them at a low. Cp3 had one over achieving year (last year), other than that every one of his teams has underperformed. Not to mention hes an all world deusche with a huge contract and wed be giving up a young player. Pass.

I'm not excited about the trade. I've made that clear.

However, the counter argument is the Suns get a star player without giving up a core piece. If not now, when? The clock is ticking on Devin Booker.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not excited about the trade. I've made that clear.

However, the counter argument is the Suns get a star player without giving up a core piece. If not now, when? The clock is ticking on Devin Booker.

Granted there aren't that many opportunities to acquire an NBA star but it's anyone's guess whether Paul will actually be a star next year and beyond. It's nice that he finally had a season where he didn't break down during the year or disappoint in the postseason but last year was highly unusual. The shortened season along with the delayed bubble games and playoffs allowed for the kind of rest he will never see again as an NBA player.

I know you're not arguing in favor of it but I just don't see why we would want to throw away, Rubio, Oubre and 85 million dollars (minus the outgoing) on the off chance that Paul has enough mileage left to move us forward. And for a team that has had locker room problems in the past, both Rubio and Oubre are high chemistry teammates - that cannot be said about Paul.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Granted there aren't that many opportunities to acquire an NBA star but it's anyone's guess whether Paul will actually be a star next year and beyond. It's nice that he finally had a season where he didn't break down during the year or disappoint in the postseason but last year was highly unusual. The shortened season along with the delayed bubble games and playoffs allowed for the kind of rest he will never see again as an NBA player.

I know you're not arguing in favor of it but I just don't see why we would want to throw away, Rubio, Oubre and 85 million dollars (minus the outgoing) on the off chance that Paul has enough mileage left to move us forward. And for a team that has had locker room problems in the past, both Rubio and Oubre are high chemistry teammates - that cannot be said about Paul.

The second paragraph is where I'm at. If the Suns are going to spend, let's look at other options. I would be content with Rubio starting if the Suns improved the rest of the team like adding a starting power forward and depth at other positions.

I'm afraid the Suns are enticed by the name and resume of Chris Paul. Our best hope is that Paul may choose another team but since Wojnarowski and others have run with it, it does not look encouraging. Now I'm hoping the Suns do not add to the problem by including the number 10 pick.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ditto. But not if we give up the #10 pick (even if we get #18 and/or Shamet back).

Actually for this draft and most drafts 18 plus Shamet is likely better than the 10th pick - and I would actually prefer that to just Oubre and Rubio.

I have this feeling Jones wants to draft Desmond Bane, but doesn't want the criticism of taking him 10th.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Paul might not be a star next year.
Rubio and Oubre will definitely not be stars next year.

This is so difficult for folks to understand.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is so difficult for folks to understand.

I don't really agree with this. I think there is a chance Oubre is a star next year if he progresses as much as he did last season.

I think if the Suns are making this deal, the primary reason is due to the leadership they think he will provide.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oubre is ~never making an all star team; especially not in the next two years. If you’re using the word “star” be specific or that’s the implication.

Chris Paul is better than a coin flip to do so and/or to provide top25 player value.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I love the kvetching...Paul makes us immediately relevant. Neither Paul, nor Rubio/Oubre are likely to be here in two years. I'll take the gamble that Paul will get us closer to where we want to be than the Rubio/Oubre duo.

(and maybe he'll get DA to play like more like Tarzan, less like Jane)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the kvetching...Paul makes us immediately relevant. Neither Paul, nor Rubio/Oubre are likely to be here in two years. I'll take the gamble that Paul will get us closer to where we want to be than the Rubio/Oubre duo.

(and maybe he'll get DA to play like more like Tarzan, less like Jane)

this.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe. But your assurances to the contrary, I'm not the person that first pointed out that you go broke paying for stars that are nearing the end of their careers. A lot of GMs hang on to their jobs by never taking that kind of risk. Fortunately, we're all just fans with our own opinions. Mine differs from yours.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave