Free Agency 2020

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The Suns have until Saturday to extend qualifying offers to Dario Saric and Jevon Carter.

I definitely hope there is one for Jevon Carter. I'd like to keep Saric as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona Sports has an article that explores options for the Suns to create cap space.

Below is a snippet:

By Kellan Olson | October 15, 2020 at 4:03 pm
UPDATED: October 15, 2020 at 4:35 pm

There are only six teams that project to have cap space. This is “projecting” some clear-cut moves, such as Anthony Davis’ return to the Los Angeles Lakers and Brandon Ingram re-upping with the New Orleans Pelicans, so keep in mind that this could change with some unforeseen free-agent decisions and/or trades. For now, though, it’s six teams.

The Miami Heat are one of them, and could easily choose to retain players like Jae Crowder and Goran Dragic instead of creating that room. In New York, the Knicks have $41 million in non-guaranteed contracts to decide on that will predicate which direction they go in.

The Suns are in this group. Cap numbers are tricky and the actual cap, while expected to remain flat, hasn’t been negotiated yet with so much up in the air for 2020-21. The most likely scenario is the cap stays at $109.1 million, the same number as last season.

https://arizonasports.com/story/242...ns-is-an-effort-made-to-create-max-cap-space/

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Arizona Sports has an article that explores options for the Suns to create cap space.

Below is a snippet:

By Kellan Olson | October 15, 2020 at 4:03 pm
UPDATED: October 15, 2020 at 4:35 pm

There are only six teams that project to have cap space. This is “projecting” some clear-cut moves, such as Anthony Davis’ return to the Los Angeles Lakers and Brandon Ingram re-upping with the New Orleans Pelicans, so keep in mind that this could change with some unforeseen free-agent decisions and/or trades. For now, though, it’s six teams.

The Miami Heat are one of them, and could easily choose to retain players like Jae Crowder and Goran Dragic instead of creating that room. In New York, the Knicks have $41 million in non-guaranteed contracts to decide on that will predicate which direction they go in.

The Suns are in this group. Cap numbers are tricky and the actual cap, while expected to remain flat, hasn’t been negotiated yet with so much up in the air for 2020-21. The most likely scenario is the cap stays at $109.1 million, the same number as last season.

https://arizonasports.com/story/242...ns-is-an-effort-made-to-create-max-cap-space/
So he did not address the Oubre issue, which is kind of a cop out because that is the major decison in my humble opinion that drives the remaining decisions. Keep Oubre you build them team one way, trade Oubre you go another direction.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he did not address the Oubre issue, which is kind of a cop out because that is the major decison in my humble opinion that drives the remaining decisions. Keep Oubre you build them team one way, trade Oubre you go another direction.

If I read the article right, the premise was keeping Oubre until they mentioned it at the very end.

I'd like to keep Oubre to see what he brings this season and the financial flexibility he could bring next season if they part ways. Also the Suns have time to make a decision until the trade deadline.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If I read the article right, the premise was keeping Oubre until they mentioned it at the very end.

I'd like to keep Oubre to see what he brings this season and the financial flexibility he could bring next season if they part ways. Also the Suns have time to make a decision until the trade deadline.

We need to decide ASAP if we are going to pay Oubre what he wants or not. If not, we need to trade him while we still can. We cannot afford another repeat of Tyson Chandler and Tyler Johnson.

BTW, the line-up mentioned in that article misses the playoffs...again...thanks to a total lack of size/bulk/strength in the frontcourt and lack of a legitimate power forward.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to decide ASAP if we are going to pay Oubre what he wants or not. If not, we need to trade him while we still can. We cannot afford another repeat of Tyson Chandler and Tyler Johnson.

Unless the Suns can significantly improve the team with a player as good or better than Oubre, you keep him. Chandler and Johnson were not big contributors to the team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Unless the Suns can significantly improve the team with a player as good or better than Oubre, you keep him. Chandler and Johnson were not big contributors to the team.

If they keep him, it needs to be for the long term. One year of Oubre, followed by letting him walk, is a step backwards, in my opinion.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they keep him, it needs to be for the long term. One year of Oubre, followed by letting him walk, is a step backwards, in my opinion.

I was hoping the Suns would have signed Oubre to a multi-year contract. Now we are faced with this dilemma. The Suns cannot control his destiny as he will enter unrestricted free agency after this coming season.

This is the most convincing argument to trade Oubre but it can't be any old trade. It has to maintain or improve the talent on the team. Otherwise keep him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping the Suns would have signed Oubre to a multi-year contract. Now we are faced with this dilemma. The Suns cannot control his destiny as he will enter unrestricted free agency after this coming season.

This is the most convincing argument to trade Oubre but it can't be any old trade. It has to maintain or improve the talent on the team. Otherwise keep him.

We do have his bird rights though so we can go over the cap to resign him after this season, which shouldn't be ignored or forgotten. I know having the ability to match would be much better but knowing we can offer more than anyone else by going over the cap, and offering an extra year, is good.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We do have his bird rights though so we can go over the cap to resign him after this season, which shouldn't be ignored or forgotten. I know having the ability to match would be much better but knowing we can offer more than anyone else by going over the cap, and offering an extra year, is good.

Indeed, but management then needs to decide sooner rather than later whether or not they are willing to do so in order to give Oubre what he seeks. Otherwise, at best it is another Joe Johnson situation, and at worst it is a repeat of Tyson Chandler and Tyler Johnson.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I was disappointed they didn't go at least four years. A two year deal, I think unless Oubre's side wanted him to be a free agent in a certain year, you either commit or let him fly. A two year deal is just kicking the can down the road a year. Now we have the same conundrum a year later with him. Unless there is a trade that we can do with him that helps both teams, I am not sure what they were thinking. Yes we kept an asset short term, but why? Either he's your guy or he's not.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was disappointed they didn't go at least four years. A two year deal, I think unless Oubre's side wanted him to be a free agent in a certain year, you either commit or let him fly. A two year deal is just kicking the can down the road a year. Now we have the same conundrum a year later with him. Unless there is a trade that we can do with him that helps both teams, I am not sure what they were thinking. Yes we kept an asset short term, but why? Either he's your guy or he's not.

Only my opinion, but I don't think the Suns and Oubre could agree on a longer term contract for more money so they settled on a two year contract. Pulling figures out of the air, maybe Oubre wanted something like 4 years $75 million and the Suns said no.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Only my opinion, but I don't think the Suns and Oubre could agree on a longer term contract for more money so they settled on a two year contract. Pulling figures out of the air, maybe Oubre wanted something like 4 years $75 million and the Suns said no.

If that's the case, the Suns need to decide if they are willing to pay him long term moving forward. If not, they need to trade him ASAP, as in before the draft.

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
New coaching staff and GM wanted two years to see if he fit. They have one more year to see. If he leaves thats fine its not like a four year deal would make him stay. BLEDSOE, Goran Johnson

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
New coaching staff and GM wanted two years to see if he fit. They have one more year to see. If he leaves thats fine its not like a four year deal would make him stay. BLEDSOE, Goran Johnson

If he leaves for nothing, that's not fine. Following in the pattern of Tyson Chandler and Tyler Johnson, we lose an asset for nothing, and the loss doesn't give us cap space to sign anyone worth signing. We can't repeat that. If management isn't sold on him long term, or if he isn't sold on the Suns long term, trade him now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyson and Tyler assets. HaHaHa

I know I incorrectly thought they would be assets when they were entering the last year of their deals, Tyler more than Tyson since he could still contribute as a rotation player. Expiring contracts don't have the value they did 5-6 years ago, maybe even longer. This latest CBA with shorter contracts has ended the days of expiring deals being valued highly by a good number of teams around the league. Nowadays you might be able to fetch an often injured overpaid "star" like John Wall, Blake Griffin, or Kevin Love with them but getting anything of real value isn't happening.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know I incorrectly thought they would be assets when they were entering the last year of their deals, Tyler more than Tyson since he could still contribute as a rotation player. Expiring contracts don't have the value they did 5-6 years ago, maybe even longer. This latest CBA with shorter contracts has ended the days of expiring deals being valued highly by a good number of teams around the league. Nowadays you might be able to fetch an often injured overpaid "star" like John Wall, Blake Griffin, or Kevin Love with them but getting anything of real value isn't happening.

Which is why now is the time to trade Oubre unless the Suns and he are prepared to commit to each other long term.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Which is why now is the time to trade Oubre unless the Suns and he are prepared to commit to each other long term.
Would you commit 20m per to extend Oubre now or wait for a year to dish it out elsewhere? They're also gonna have to max out Ayton soon after that.

Who's available? They were trying to get Aaron Gordon last year from Orlando.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chandler was given away like a gift. If the Suns attached a first round pick and the salaries worked, Tyler Johnson's contract could have been an asset. Sometimes the right trades do not come along.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Would you commit 20m per to extend Oubre now or wait for a year to dish it out elsewhere? They're also gonna have to max out Ayton soon after that.

If they don't use it on Oubre with Bird Rights, they won't have it to use elsewhere. If Oubre walks for nothing, the Suns will be under the cap, but their cap space will be less than the MLE, which means they are actually WORSE off than they would be if they are OVER the cap. This is what happened to them cap wise with both Chandler and Johnson leaving for nothing. The fact that it gives the Suns cap space for a big free agent signing is a total myth.

The Suns' only viable options are to commit now or trade him now.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If they don't use it on Oubre with Bird Rights, they won't have it to use elsewhere. If Oubre walks for nothing, the Suns will be under the cap, but their cap space will be less than the MLE, which means they are actually WORSE off than they would be if they are OVER the cap. This is what happened to them cap wise with both Chandler and Johnson leaving for nothing. The fact that it gives the Suns cap space for a big free agent signing is a total myth.

The Suns' only viable options are to commit now or trade him now.
Who's available?