Free Agency 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Grant at 8-9 million per year, but now I’m seeing he is projected to get 15+ million a year. I don’t really like him at that number at all.

I'm not sure Grant brings any more to the table than Oubre and I have been a fan of Grant.

If the Suns traded Oubre and signed Grant to a multi-year contract, it makes more sense.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not sure Grant brings any more to the table than Oubre and I have been a fan of Grant.

If the Suns traded Oubre and signed Grant to a multi-year contract, it makes more sense.

If the trade is for an athletic power forward, like Aaron Gordon, that might work. Otherwise, we cannot afford to give up Oubre and not replace his athleticism. Ayton and Oubre are all we have in that department, at least in terms of our primary rotation players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns would need more backup toughness especially at center with this rotation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns would need more backup toughness especially at center with this rotation.

Agreed. Two rotational guys with some beef and athleticism, plus a back-up shooting guard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Two rotational guys with some beef and athleticism, plus a back-up shooting guard.

And an extra point guard unless that guard is a combo guard.

I don't think we are going to get everything in our Christmas stocking.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And an extra point guard unless than guard is a combo guard.

I don't think we are going to get everything in our Christmas stocking.

I actually think we are okay with Payne and Carter as the back-ups. That said, if we get our beef up front (and no, that does not include Grant, who is roughly the size of Cam Johnson) via free agency or trade, and Hayes or Haliburton falls to 10 in the draft...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think we are okay with Payne and Carter as the back-ups. That said, if we get our beef up front (and no, that does not include Grant, who is roughly the size of Cam Johnson) via free agency or trade, and Hayes or Haliburton falls to 10 in the draft...

Hayes or Haliburton falling to #10 would make me feel better, at least in regard to the guard position. As much as I like what I saw of Cam Payne, I don't want to take chances. We have seen how important the backup point guard position is.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Grant can guard guys that Oubre has a tough time dealing with, bigger, longer stronger guys. Can you say that Oubre can block a LeBron fadeaway?

Weird, least to me that, they have the same wingspan and Oubre is an inch shorter. Yet Grant just looks bigger and taller, and proves (to me) that he can guard bigger/longer/stronger players.

I'm probably in the minority here saying we should go for Grant. I wish we had gone for Butler when he was available, and i'm having that same feeling about Grant. He'd be a more than solid pick up for us.

Cam and Bridges still have some developing to do and i dont see this as stunting that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grant can guard guys that Oubre has a tough time dealing with, bigger, longer stronger guys. Can you say that Oubre can block a LeBron fadeaway?

Weird, least to me that, they have the same wingspan and Oubre is an inch shorter. Yet Grant just looks bigger and taller, and proves (to me) that he can guard bigger/longer/stronger players.

I'm probably in the minority here saying we should go for Grant. I wish we had gone for Butler when he was available, and i'm having that same feeling about Grant. He'd be a more than solid pick up for us.

Cam and Bridges still have some developing to do and i dont see this as stunting that.

You are not alone as I have been a fan of adding Jerami Grant in free agency early on. Also he is still a young player.

I wouldn't mind one bit signing him to a multiyear contract. However, the Suns are going to be small at forward with Bridges, Oubre, Cam Johnson and Grant.

My guess is the Suns trade one of the forwards if they add Grant, probably Oubre. Personally I do not see a lot of difference between the two players though.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You are not alone as I have been a fan of adding Jerami Grant in free agency early on. Also he is still a young player.

I wouldn't mind one bit signing him to a multiyear contract. However, the Suns are going to be small at forward with Bridges, Oubre, Cam Johnson and Grant.

My guess is the Suns trade one of the forwards if they add Grant, probably Oubre. Personally I do not see a lot of difference between the two players though.

Ideal offseason in this scenario would be to sign Grant, trade Oubre and filler for Gordon, draft Hayes, Haliburton, Vassell or Nesmith at 10, sign a back-up center with the MLE and re-sign Saric and Carter with bird rights.

Probably way too much to hope for, though...

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I was out front on the Jerami Grant bandwagon earlier in the summer but I am still not a fan of signing Grant at the projected figures I keep seeing out there. It would probably take around 18 million a year on a 4/5 year contract to lure him away from Denver. He is a good player but I don’t think he is worth that kind of money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideal offseason in this scenario would be to sign Grant, trade Oubre and filler for Gordon, draft Hayes, Haliburton, Vassell or Nesmith at 10, sign a back-up center with the MLE and re-sign Saric and Carter with bird rights.

It's unrealistic.

I can't see the Suns getting both Jerami Grant and Aaron Gordon in the same off season. It would be too costly and shakeup team chemistry. The Suns wouldn't have any money left to make other moves.

Also if the Suns traded for Gordon it would likely cost them Oubre and the 10th pick and I can't see them being able to keep Saric. So there goes the 10th pick and Saric as well.

Additionally with the injury to Isaac, it's hard to see the Magic trading Gordon.

Also this arbitrarily pushes Bridges to the bench.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was out front on the Jerami Grant bandwagon earlier in the summer but I am still not a fan of signing Grant at the projected figures I keep seeing out there. It would probably take around 18 million a year on a 4/5 year contract to lure him away from Denver. He is a good player but I don’t think he is worth that kind of money.

The Suns would have to be intent on trading Oubre for it to make sense.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The Suns would have to be intent on trading Oubre for it to make sense.
Even if we do trade Oubre, I am just not a fan of Grant at that number. I just don’t see him as ever being anything more than a 14 point 5 rebound guy. Don’t get me wrong, those types of guys are important to teams, and once again I would love to have Grant, but I just don’t think the Suns are in position to pay that type of player 18 million for the next 4-5 years.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if we do trade Oubre, I am just not a fan of Grant at that number. I just don’t see him as ever being anything more than a 14 point 5 rebound guy. Don’t get me wrong, those types of guys are important to teams, and once again I would love to have Grant, but I just don’t think the Suns are in position to pay that type of player 18 million for the next 4-5 years.

Agree $18 million per season would be an overpay. Maybe if his contract started out at around $12-13 million per season I would feel differently. After watching Grant in the playoffs I mostly consider him a taller small forward.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree with this. If we're going to pay that much then just open the checkbook for Oubre. At least we know how he fits.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oubre does provide chemistry. Grant and Oubre are both 15/5 guys. Grant offers even more flexibility than points and rebounds imo. Oubre would get eaten up by LeBron and AD if he had to guard them, im not saying Grant shut them down but he held his own, didn't commit dumb fouls and even blocked a Lebron fadeaway.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre does provide chemistry. Grant and Oubre are both 15/5 guys. Grant offers even more flexibility than points and rebounds imo. Oubre would get eaten up by LeBron and AD if he had to guard them, im not saying Grant shut them down but he held his own, didn't commit dumb fouls and even blocked a Lebron fadeaway.

Aside from a slightly better shooting percentage, Oubre has better stats and he is younger.

Now if the Suns plan to trade Oubre, then Grant makes more sense.

Both are not 15/5 guys. Oubre is more and Grant is less.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/oubreke01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/grantje01.html

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'd be fine with all that, although I doubt they'd resign Saric if they've already traded for Gordon and signed Grant.

Unfortunately, I don't think Orlando will be as keen on trading Gordon as they were earlier this year. Their bounty of bigs has turned into a dearth after Isaac tore his ACL and Bamba was so putrid he fell out of their rotation completely.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian Windhorst of ESPN explores some frequently asked questions. The salary cap part is particularly interesting as it may be kept artificially inflated.

By Brian Windhorst ESPN Senior Writer:

The most likely outcome right now is an agreement that keeps the salary cap artificially inflated, most likely at the same level it was during the 2019-20 season ($109 million per team). This would mitigate a bear market in free agency and prevent teams from facing huge unexpected luxury tax payments that would come with a steep cap drop.

To make sure the owners and players maintain the roughly 50-50 split of revenue as their current deal calls for, players probably will have to agree to give up a percentage of their paychecks throughout the season to help balance those books. Just how large a cut and just how to manage getting to that even split is going to be a central part of the talks.

Teams must also agree how to share money among themselves. Revenue sharing has been turned upside down with regulations in different states potentially altering the normal course of business.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ad-draft-free-agency-start-2020-21-nba-season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have until Saturday to extend qualifying offers to Dario Saric and Jevon Carter.

I definitely hope there is one for Jevon Carter. I'd like to keep Saric as well.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns have until Saturday to extend qualifying offers to Dario Saric and Jevon Carter.

I definitely hope there is one for Jevon Carter. I'd like to keep Saric as well.

Carter is a no-brainer. Saric will be an interesting decision. I guess we could always make the QO and then withdraw it if we need the cap space to sign a free agent.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter is a no-brainer. Saric will be an interesting decision. I guess we could always make the QO and then withdraw it if we need the cap space to sign a free agent.

I like Jevon Carter and the contract is reasonable so I think it's a no brainer. My guess is the Suns pick up the option on Saric to make him a RFA.

I'm wondering when the Suns have to decide about team options on Kaminsky, Diallo and Cam Payne.

Payne is the only one I would keep of those three.

The Suns need to waive Okobo.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Jevon Carter and the contract is reasonable so I think it's a no brainer. My guess is the Suns pick up the option on Saric to make him a RFA.

I'm wondering when the Suns have to decide about team options on Kaminsky, Diallo and Cam Payne.

Payne is the only one I would keep of those three.

The Suns need to waive Okobo.

Agree 100% on Payne, Kaminsky, Diallo and Okobo.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Payne and Carter are no brainers. I would like Saric back, but agree he is better as a bench guy. So by definition, they are going to have to offer him as such... which may or may not fly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson