15 thoughts - Washington game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – In addition to Blackmon, Jordan Phillips now also looks like a fine pickup. That’s huge. Have the Cards had a better defensive line since the one that included both Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell? I don’t remember so.

2 – Playcalling with all three units are now a strength. Think about that for a second.

3 – Is Haason Reddick becoming sort of an x-factor? I know he is now listed as an outside linebacker, but in reality I am not sure what his role actually is. But he can use his superior athleticism to do good things. So far it is an impressive job by Vance Joseph to put him in the right positions.

4 – It wasn’t until the fourth quarter that the artificial background noise became annoying. Until then it was pretty much just like white noise. It was okay.

5 – Three delay of game penalties by Kyler Murray. That is just horrible.

6 – I wouldn’t say Lamon Gaillard was a liability, but he was not impressive either. He was just there. Which is fine for a first time starting center, but I would still go back to Cole when it is possible.

7 – Great job by the Falcons’ brain trust to let De’Vondre Campbell walk. o_O Geeez.

8 – Remember when the Cards had huge long snapper issues after Mike Leach retired, and how it costed games, and how Aaron Brewer came in to save the day and solidify the position? Now he is causing fumbles. I dig it, as the young people say.

9 – Terry McLaurin is a good receiver, but it is not okay that Dre Kirkpatrick constantly got beaten like a drum throughout the second half.

10 – I must admit that I was disappointed with Kingsbury’s mask. With his focus on style and fashion I had expected something more unique.

11 – I kind of feel like I am now really recognizing how dangerous a weapon Kyler Murray truly am. Of course he made special plays last season as well, but for some reason it is not until now that I feel like I fully understand it.

12 – 20 penalties through two games are simply unacceptable. Get it fixed!

13 – Chris Banjo is not exactly the best safety in the NFL, but he sure is good at making open field tackles. Which seems to be something the coaches teaches very well, by the way. #JalenThompson #BuddaBaker

14 – I am thrilled with the special teams coverage. So good.

15 – During the second half I must admit that I lost focus a little – which I think signals how far this team has come. I simply was not worried that they would throw it all away. It was a new feeling that I didn’t really know what to do with. Not uncomfortable, but weird.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Glad i was not the only one proud of Reddick -- he is playing very instinctive and is certainly a plus out there. Banjo also is getting involved in a ton of tackles, looks to be a keeper.

Finally Jordan Phillips has been great this year. I was worried about $10m/per -- but he as gotten it done. There is a big difference in the middle of the pocket on pass rush, very little gaps -- just solid work from the interior tackles pushing forward.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I have to disagree on #6.

Gaillard has been extremely steady and is proving that he belongs on this team.

I'm not the first to point this out, but the Cardinals have more OL depth than they have had at any point in their Arizona Cardinals history.

The only OL that I think is highly questionable is Josh Miles, but based on everything I've seen over the past year in regards to the OL, I have to give the team the benefit of the doubt.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 – In addition to Blackmon, Jordan Phillips now also looks like a fine pickup. That’s huge. Have the Cards had a better defensive line since the one that included both Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell? I don’t remember so.

2 – Playcalling with all three units are now a strength. Think about that for a second.

3 – Is Haason Reddick becoming sort of an x-factor? I know he is now listed as an outside linebacker, but in reality I am not sure what his role actually is. But he can use his superior athleticism to do good things. So far it is an impressive job by Vance Joseph to put him in the right positions.

4 – It wasn’t until the fourth quarter that the artificial background noise became annoying. Until then it was pretty much just like white noise. It was okay.

6 – I wouldn’t say Lamon Gaillard was a liability, but he was not impressive either. He was just there. Which is fine for a first time starting center, but I would still go back to Cole when it is possible.

7 – Great job by the Falcons’ brain trust to let De’Vondre Campbell walk. o_O Geeez.

8 – Remember when the Cards had huge long snapper issues after Mike Leach retired, and how it costed games, and how Aaron Brewer came in to save the day and solidify the position? Now he is causing fumbles. I dig it, as the young people say.

9 – Terry McLaurin is a good receiver, but it is not okay that Dre Kirkpatrick constantly got beaten like a drum throughout the second half.

10 – I must admit that I was disappointed with Kingsbury’s mask. With his focus on style and fashion I had expected something more unique.

11 – I kind of feel like I am now really recognizing how dangerous a weapon Kyler Murray truly am. Of course he made special plays last season as well, but for some reason it is not until now that I feel like I fully understand it.

13 – Chris Banjo is not exactly the best safety in the NFL, but he sure is good at making open field tackles. Which seems to be something the coaches teaches very well, by the way. #JalenThompson #BuddaBaker

15 – During the second half I must admit that I lost focus a little – which I think signals how far this team has come. I simply was not worried that they would throw it all away. It was a new feeling that I didn’t really know what to do with. Not uncomfortable, but weird.

#8 he had a couple real bad snaps to the punter this week and almost had two blacks as a result. Sheer luck they weren’t blocked.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the delays was a weird one the ref stood there holding the ball, and then put it down and shortly after delay was called. KM and KK were both pretty irate they clearly thought he ref had indicated they were going to put more time back on the play clock because the ref was standing there holding the ball while the clock went down

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#8 he had a couple real bad snaps to the punter this week and almost had two blacks as a result. Sheer luck they weren’t blocked.

Correct. There were like two series in a row where it was a really low snap. I thought for sure one was blocked but Lee barely got it off.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the delays was a weird one the ref stood there holding the ball, and then put it down and shortly after delay was called. KM and KK were both pretty irate they clearly thought he ref had indicated they were going to put more time back on the play clock because the ref was standing there holding the ball while the clock went down
I’m glad somebody other than me saw that. It was a bs situation

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I’m glad somebody other than me saw that. It was a bs situation
It's the rule they'll never give you more time. You must sub quickly then if they don't sub in a timely fashion they'll be flagged for delay if game. So the blame fall on the cards. If murray would have been aware he could have gotten the snap off he had like 2 seconds.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Not too mention 3 really terrible holding penalties I saw that negated a Kyler TD run & 2 more good plays we ran.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not the first to point this out, but the Cardinals have more OL depth than they have had at any point in their Arizona Cardinals history.

I agree with that, Krang, and it is very exciting. Gaillard’s performance does not change that view for me.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I don’t really use much time and energy on “what if’s”, Shane. Brewer snapped that ball so Lee could punt it away. It doesn’t matter much to me how it happened, since it did happen.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The last drive of the game was a textbook drive. Its was 1st down after 1st down. Aggressive play calling, it kept our defense off the field and having to make a defensive stand while WFT's defense were just gassed.

Jasper, that was literally my thought #16 or #17. It was really impressive. I think Washington was starting to gaining momentum, and that drive stopped the bleeding completely.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

agree, I think one is supposed to talk trash but I’ll have to work with a Dallas fan so I can get it right

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

4) Reddick is not an X-factor as much as he is finally playing useful football for this team, and his limited play this season shows not great but better than average. Simmons has the freak ability seldom one finds and I truly feel it's this lack due to Covid and the preseason which has his gears a little off

5) The funny ass part of the game was when the old fart in the booth said they were giving the hurt Washington guy a hand when it was pre-recorded noise on the telecast

6) Gaillard was a consistent beast in the SEC and he's physically better than Cole (who I happen to like too and a nice situation for this franchise). If Gaillard is able to play a few more games, Cole might lose his job as a starter

7) Damn straight, Campbell is a god send and the Cards should put him down as an extension priority now!

9) Correction, McLaurin is a great WR with a crappy QB or rather a young guy

14) Jeff Rodgers and his assistant Derius Swinton are special team aces and not to mention that Rodgers is the assistant head coach too... seriously Rodgers has a future as a head coach

Luv your analysis Gandhi, top notch contemplation for the forum :)

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
4) Reddick is not an X-factor as much as he is finally playing useful football for this team

Well, that was my point, Jetstream. That basically no one could have expected him to play well, so as it comes as a surprise, he becomes sort of an X factor.

6) Gaillard was a consistent beast in the SEC and he's physically better than Cole (who I happen to like too and a nice situation for this franchise). If Gaillard is able to play a few more games, Cole might lose his job as a starter

You might be right, but I would think that they go back to Cole as soon as they can, and if they do, then Gaillard might obviously not play a few more games.

14) Jeff Rodgers and his assistant Derius Swinton are special team aces and not to mention that Rodgers is the assistant head coach too... seriously Rodgers has a future as a head coach

I believe you could easily end up being right in this.

Luv your analysis Gandhi, top notch contemplation for the forum :)

Thank you, Jetstream! Highly appreciated.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As crazy as this may sound..

Dan Arnold might be the 2nd best receiving threat on this team. He's got Waller like potential.

He just hasnt gotten the ball. Watching the film that guy runs good routes and gets open. Just gotta develop a chemistry with Kyler.

He's going to be a problem for teams if we can get him going.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
#12- Agree, agree, agree.

#13- Might just be me, but I thought that the WFT ran plays away from Budda Baker's side of the field and were targeting Banjo, who held up pretty well.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#13- Might just be me, but I thought that the WFT ran plays away from Budda Baker's side of the field and were targeting Banjo, who held up pretty well.

I did not notice that, Garth, but I am sure you are right, and it makes sense since Baker is obviously a great player. Anyway, yes, I also thought that Banjo held up fine. At the very least he was far from a liability.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

He could be more of an x factor than Simmons his rookie campaign. He plsyed in what, like 40% of snaps per game the last two weeks. That's a pretty big role in the nickle/dime and spelling starters for series.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As crazy as this may sound..

Dan Arnold might be the 2nd best receiving threat on this team. He's got Waller like potential.

SL, I disagree that he is better than both Fitz and Hopkins, but I don’t think that takes away your point. I have this idea that Dan Arnold is kind of like the replacement for Hakeem Butler in the sense that he is the tall target. He simply gives them an option that the other receivers don’t necessarily possess.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SL, I disagree that he is better than both Fitz and Hopkins, but I don’t think that takes away your point. I have this idea that Dan Arnold is kind of like the replacement for Hakeem Butler in the sense that he is the tall target. He simply gives them an option that the other receivers don’t necessarily possess.
Oh no I never said he was better than Hopkins, lol. Just saying potential as the 2nd best pass catcher. Not by a wide margin though.
Edit: Not 2nd best, but 2nd most dangerous I think.

Love Fitz. He's more dependable. Just saying watching Arnold outrun safeties....yeesh.

Kyler ever gets comfortable letting it rip I can see some big plays happening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose