Budda Baker getting paid

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd pay a transcendent talent that amount.

Joe Mixon isn't transcendent.

Joe Mixon is 24 years old and he literally just turned 24 last month. Has back to back 1400+ scrimmage seasons behind one of the worst O lines in the league. They tied him up for $12m though the peak of his career and they barely give him 200 targets a year.

If he had an O line and they gave him targets I think he could push 2000 a year. He has the talent.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but you can't say he excelled in that scheme when his sacks were down 25% on the average of the seasons either side.

I can and I will. 13 sacks WAS excelling considering he was the majority of the pash rush for most of the year. There isn't a major flaw in his game like Baker and he is covering up.

Hell, you put any other player on the field instead of CJ, and you would say that he excelled. Some have higher standards for CJ than any other athlete, and that is exactly the point. As the highest played player in your position, you shouldn't have major holes in your game. If you would have said that a player with 0 career interceptions is now the highest paid safety in history, almost everyone would laugh at the notion.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Joe Mixon is 24 years old and he literally just turned 24 last month. Has back to back 1400+ scrimmage seasons behind one of the worst O lines in the league. They tied him up for $12m though the peak of his career and they barely give him 200 targets a year.

If he had an O line and they gave him targets I think he could push 2000 a year. He has the talent.

And he breaks girl's jaws...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

9th in rushing yards, 27th in rushing TDs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
14th in total yards.

The more I look up stats, the more that 12 m, on top of breaking girls jaws, looks like way too much.

Reaction score
Yeah but you can't say he excelled in that scheme when his sacks were down 25% on the average of the seasons either side.

The difference was Budda was a rookie & CJ a vet. A vet could handle the adversity better than the rook.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Thought of the day.

Budda Baker is more Earl Thomas than Tyrann Mathieu in terms of skill set.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Earl Thomas was a ball hawk with 8 INTs though his first three seasons — 5 as a rookie.

Again, TM and Baker are alike in that the further they are from the LOS, the less impactful they are. That said, TM is much more versatile as a player; he’s prolly better across the board (slot, box, deep, leadership) than Baker is.

Apparently Earl Thomas was a complete disaster in Baltimore. And veterans on that D went to the GM and said he had to go.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Lombardi had a great article in the Athletic yesterday: 49ers’ George Kittle is ready to resume showdown with Arizona’s Budda Baker. It featured many quotes by 49ers players and coaches regarding Baker (as well as quotes by Cards players and coaches regarding Kittle). Here are a few of them:

George Kittle said:
He’s a safety that just does it all. His mindset, I love watching Budda play. He’s a monster. He’s all over the field. He’s the guy that if you do not block him, he will ruin your day every single play. Whole game.

If you have a 70-play game and you don’t block him on 70 plays, he’s gonna make the play 70 times. That’s just who he is. There’s a reason he led the NFL in solo tackles. There’s a reason he just got the contract he did. He’s a hell of a football player.

Richard Sherman said:
He’s everywhere at the same time. He’s one of the hardest-playing football players. He plays like a giant. So I think you have to take size out of that equation. It’s more of a chess match of positioning and understanding of route concepts and things of that nature. Because regardless of what his size says on paper, he makes every play that he needs to make and he’s in position the majority of the time.

Regarding last season's play where Kittle posterized Baker and scored:
“George made an unbelievable release at the line, got a little separation,” Garoppolo said on a Zoom call Wednesday. “That’s the hard thing against Budda and all their cover guys is they don’t give you much separation.”

But Kittle did what essentially every other player his size cannot do — he rocketed away from Baker to make room for Garoppolo’s pass, and then he bullied forward with the physicality expected of a 250-pounder.

“He just had to throw him off of him to get him off of him in that situation,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said of Kittle and Baker on a Zoom call Wednesday. “(Baker) is a sticky cover guy. This is as good as a safety as there is in this league. George is as good of a tight end as there is in this league.”

Final word from Kittle:
To prepare, Kittle has been watching film of Baker’s 2019 games this week. He’s been most impressed by the safety’s performance from Week 17, when the Cardinals played the Rams after both teams had been eliminated from playoff contention.

“You find Budda Baker going 100 mph on every single play,” Kittle said. “It didn’t matter if they were winning, losing, how much time was on the clock. He is flying around, hitting people, getting the ball loose.

“If that’s what you’re getting Week 17 when there’s no chance of going to the playoffs, what do you expect in Week 1 of a new season? He’s gonna come after it every single play, so if I don’t bring the intensity, I’m gonna look like a fool out there. I will be bringing my intensity and I know that our whole team is because I know that he is very much on our radar. …

“We compete at a very high level, we have a lot of intensity and we both love the game of football. I mean, what more do you want in a matchup?”
Sure, teams typically fluff up their opponent before games... "anti-locker room material" - but it sure seems as though the 49ers have more respect for Baker than many posters here.

...dbs

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Lombardi had a great article in the Athletic yesterday: 49ers’ George Kittle is ready to resume showdown with Arizona’s Budda Baker. It featured many quotes by 49ers players and coaches regarding Baker (as well as quotes by Cards players and coaches regarding Kittle). Here are a few of them:

Regarding last season's play where Kittle posterized Baker and scored:

Final word from Kittle:

Sure, teams typically fluff up their opponent before games... "anti-locker room material" - but it sure seems as though the 49ers have more respect for Baker than many posters here.

...dbs

yeah... lots of respect while licking their chops so Kittle can manhandle him again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am going to defend Baker a bit in this regard. If you are asking your QB to learn a 3rd playbook in 3 seasons, he is likely not going to be making spectacular plays or maximizing the playbook/audible system. That is something that takes time and repetition to accomplish.

I have a similar viewpoint and perspective with Budda Baker. Guy has learned three systems in three years and played different roles in each of them. Initially as a sub package CB/S, then a SS, and most recently as a FS. I point this out because it is tough to diagnose what the offense is doing when you are trying to ensure you are in your correct place and then also trying to help others in the scheme. It is a bit disingenuous to state that Baker doesn't make enough plays when he has spent every offseason figuring out what he is being asked to do now, and then learning to play with Tre Boston, Antoine Bethea, DJ Swearinger, Dionte Thompson and Jalen Thompson over the past two seasons.

I am not saying he has been put in a position to fail, but he definitely has not been put in a position to succeed.
This excuse is then removed for this season. Let’s see an interception. Just one. One.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thought of the day.

Budda Baker is more Earl Thomas than Tyrann Mathieu in terms of skill set.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Hmm, I decided to look into this regarding passes defensed (can’t really look at int’s with budda having ZERO).

Budda had 14 pass defenses over his first three seasons. He averages 4.8 over 16 games.

Earl had 22. On a 16 game basis earl averaged 8.6 per.

Badger had 30 in his first three years (17 in year 3!!!). He averages 10 per 16 games (that’s gotta be ridiculously high).

Out of curiosity I checked out Adrian Wilson: 21 in first three years. Surprising 8.8 per 16 games (and 6 years with 9+, four years with double digit pass defenses, and years with 13 and 14). And Wilson wasn’t ever considered a coverage safety.

budda is not good in coverage.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I decided to look into this regarding passes defensed (can’t really look at int’s with budda having ZERO).

Budda had 14 pass defenses over his first three seasons. He averages 4.8 over 16 games.

Earl had 22. On a 16 game basis earl averaged 8.6 per.

Badger had 30 in his first three years (17 in year 3!!!). He averages 10 per 16 games (that’s gotta be ridiculously high).

Out of curiosity I checked out Adrian Wilson: 21 in first three years. Surprising 8.8 per 16 games (and 6 years with 9+, four years with double digit pass defenses, and years with 13 and 14). And Wilson wasn’t ever considered a coverage safety.

budda is not good in coverage.

People around here refuse to admit that. You have madcard posting a smidge of highlight videos of him actually defending a couple of passes As prooof. Lol

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I love the way he plays and I think the concerns of overpaying are valid. What I’m really concerned about with him are injuries, I don’t think you can play how he does at his size without your body breaking down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA