The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TJ Warren is going nuts. 50 POINTS! in a big matchup with the Sixers. Dude is a key member of a solid Pacers squad that could be a really tough out with Oladipo and if Sabonus comes back. And Brogdon does also. Man... when healthy, they’ve accumulated a lot of solid talent.

I still can’t believe we had to GIVE UP a 2nd round pick to move him. That was really bad asset management. I hope we don’t find ourselves doing the same with Oubre.

IF there really is an issue with Oubre and we’re forced to trade him, I really hope we get something solid of value back because to go from really deep at the 3 with Warren, Bridges and Oubre to possibly just Bridges just wouldn’t be good for a team starved of talent at other positions.

This was a major blunder by Suns front office. Warren was minimally worth a first round pick.

It was sort of a Bledsoe thing the way the Suns handled it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was a major blunder by Suns front office. Warren was minimally worth a first round pick.

It was sort of a Bledsoe thing the way the Suns handled it.

Tony Delk had 50+ Once too. Don’t overreact.

Nobody was going to give the suns a first for him. Cap space has value. But they definitely should have got something.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Every Suns fan went ugh. TJ didn't get along with all the youth this was all on MC. New front office did him a service and I'm happy for him. Now Josh Jackson I will never be happy for

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
TJ Warren is going nuts. 50 POINTS! in a big matchup with the Sixers. Dude is a key member of a solid Pacers squad that could be a really tough out with Oladipo and if Sabonus comes back. And Brogdon does also. Man... when healthy, they’ve accumulated a lot of solid talent.

I still can’t believe we had to GIVE UP a 2nd round pick to move him. That was really bad asset management. I hope we don’t find ourselves doing the same with Oubre.

IF there really is an issue with Oubre and we’re forced to trade him, I really hope we get something solid of value back because to go from really deep at the 3 with Warren, Bridges and Oubre to possibly just Bridges just wouldn’t be good for a team starved of talent at other positions.
Scenarios are different this time , oubre has done nothing but say he enjoys his teammates and Phoenix, TJ was publicly upset. They still should have got something for him but TJ was a discruntled one dimensional player he's not going to command much

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Scenarios are different this time , oubre has done nothing but say he enjoys his teammates and Phoenix, TJ was publicly upset. They still should have got something for him but TJ was a discruntled one dimensional player he's not going to command much
It's abundantly clear that being on a winning team (even if it's in the east) has made him change his perspective. Good for him, but this isn't the same player that was in Phoenix.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
It's abundantly clear that being on a winning team (even if it's in the east) has made him change his perspective. Good for him, but this isn't the same player that was in Phoenix.
He trys harder now which helps for sure but hes still a bad defender and only a so so playmaker

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He trys harder now which helps for sure but hes still a bad defender and only a so so playmaker
And he doesn't have phantom injuries anymore apparently. I wonder if the Suns had any problems insuring him in the latter years of his stay here.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He is a good scoring Wing on the right team. That is what he offers.

It became obvious that the Suns were not the right team.

If we had Warren back now, it still wouldn't be the right team.
It would block the development we've seen in Bridges.

And if Warren were still covering the Power Forward position
alongside the finesse Ayton, we'd have no hope.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s revisionist history. We had a lot of conjecture that TJ was as upset based on his bizarre prolonged injuries. But I do not recall him ever coming out publicly as being disgruntled.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Delk had 50+ Once too. Don’t overreact..

tony delk never averaged 19 ppg as the key member of a playoff team. Tony Delk never averaged more than 12 points period for any team.

Nobody was going to give the suns a first for him. Cap space has value. But they definitely should have got something.

The above is said without any evidence. And they shouldn’t have sat on him and put themselves in a terrible bargaining position with a glut of 3s and needed cap space before trading him.

it was the same stupid mistake they made with Bledsoe. They knew theY werent going to sign an extension with him, yet waited to trade him for too long until his value bottomed out and still got taken for a weak deal.

it’s okay to just say we took it on the chin on that deal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TJ never said anything public. That’s BS.

look, I’m not saying I want him back. I’m saying if this happens again with Oubre and we get pennies on the dollars for him like we did Warren (actually, we somehow GAVE pennies plus the dollar there) and leave ourselves with one good 3 and nothing else to show for three talented guys, that will be a major detriment to building a good roster.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They could have found a taker who would part with a 1st if they wanted to take on salary in return but since they had plans for all of the space they had, they couldn't take any salary in return. Throwing in the 2nd round pick with Warren was inexcusable though, whether you think we could have received a 1st for him or not. At the very least we should have received some future 2nd's for the 1 that we sent with him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They could have found a taker who would part with a 1st if they wanted to take on salary in return but since they had plans for all of the space they had, they couldn't take any salary in return. Throwing in the 2nd round pick with Warren was inexcusable though, whether you think we could have received a 1st for him or not. At the very least we should have received some future 2nd's for the 1 that we sent with him.
The Pacers were shocked we offered the pick. They were expecting us to ask for a second rounder.

that said. Second round picks are t worth much.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When TJ was given away, with a pick attached, I recall it being a rare moment where the disappointment on this board was almost universal.

I am not a big Warren fan, he is very one dimensional, but it is a very solid dimension. Giving him away, on that tiny contract, for less than nothing, is James Jones most egregious mistake.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We agree the Suns should have gotten something for Warren especially considering the lack of talented depth on the roster.

The thing with Warren, it's not a fluke. This season he averages 19.2 points, 4 rebounds, 1.5 assists with a per of 17.90.

IMO, it's an example of trading an apparently unhappy player too late.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pacers were shocked we offered the pick. They were expecting us to ask for a second rounder.

that said. Second round picks are t worth much.

Overall it's tough for second round picks to make a team but the Suns need to quit devaluing them and scout them.

Jordan Clarkson, Marcin Gortat and Goran Dragic are all second round picks and the list goes on.

Jevon Carter and De'Anthony Melton are second round picks.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Overall it's tough for second round picks to make a team but the Suns need to quit devaluing them and scout them.

Jordan Clarkson, Marcin Gortat and Goran Dragic are all second round picks and the list goes on.

Jevon Carter and De'Anthony Melton are second round picks.
Who was it they wanted to sign? I know they needed to dump TJ’s salary. Anyway. I agree. They should have gotten more.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who was it they wanted to sign? I know they needed to dump TJ’s salary. Anyway. I agree. They should have gotten more.

May have been Rubio so that was definitely a move the Suns needed to make.

However, I have to wonder if Warren showed signs of wanting out the summer before the trade sort of like Bledsoe.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
May have been Rubio so that was definitely a move the Suns needed to make.

However, I have to wonder if Warren showed signs of wanting out the summer before the trade sort of like Bledsoe.
I really liked Warren. He had the ability to score quickly without dominating the ball. We were just REALLY desperate for a pg and did not want to miss out on Rubio.

Warren might have wanted out, but he did not say anything publicly. The motivation for the bad deal with Warren was the desperation to sign Rubio.

I am sure Jones justified it in his mind by considering it a Warren for Rubio trade sorta.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biggest disappointment by far so far after the restart is Zion Williamson IMO. Totally out of shape, did they ever explain why he was late going in the bubble? He's so out of shape it's almost painful to watch, he can still score when he gets the ball but he can't guard anybody right now and their rotations in the first Q against the Clips were terrible because of him. They were constantly helping him and then the ball would rotate for an open 3 and the Clips made the first 6 threes.

He's too young to be this out of shape there had to be some injury or health situation?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biggest disappointment by far so far after the restart is Zion Williamson IMO. Totally out of shape, did they ever explain why he was late going in the bubble? He's so out of shape it's almost painful to watch, he can still score when he gets the ball but he can't guard anybody right now and their rotations in the first Q against the Clips were terrible because of him. They were constantly helping him and then the ball would rotate for an open 3 and the Clips made the first 6 threes.

He's too young to be this out of shape there had to be some injury or health situation?

totally agree. What happened to all that hype a couple months ago how he took the time quarantine in quarantine to completely remold his body?

i was hoping they’d make the playoffs so we could watch him as the 8 seed but I’d much rather see that healthy Portland squad go up against the Lakers. That would be a much more entertaining series at this point.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really liked Warren. He had the ability to score quickly without dominating the ball. We were just REALLY desperate for a pg and did not want to miss out on Rubio.

Warren might have wanted out, but he did not say anything publicly. The motivation for the bad deal with Warren was the desperation to sign Rubio.

I am sure Jones justified it in his mind by considering it a Warren for Rubio trade sorta.

Warren didn't say anything publicly but the Suns thought he might return from injury right up to the final game of the season before he was traded.

The question for me, had Warren been wanting out prior to the injury so the Suns would have been in better position to trade him earlier.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

In this case; out of shape =/= overweight... He’s huffing & puffing but it doesn’t look like it should be a problem under regular circumstances. Back in February when he got his legs under him and went on a crazy two weak tear looking like pre-blow and booze Shawn Kemp.

The most inconsistent looking guy is Lonzo right now. He shot it okay during the season but has had some ugly clanks so far in the bubble. With any kind of dependable shot he’s a stud.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think this is accurate. It’s not a proper justification for jones to hold as it’s a squandered asset. But I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what jones holds onto.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave