The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't put it past Dinwiddie. He challenged the NBPA & CBA not long ago with how he wanted to converted his contract to some futures commodity or something. Admittedly I didn't quite understand what he was looking to do but I know it was against the CBA initially.

Here's a link on that, it's from earlier this year. I thought he did that last season, perhaps that's when he started the process.

https://news.bitcoin.com/nba-star-spencer-dinwiddie-just-tokenized-his-own-contract/

A go fund me is an interesting choice right now considering the US is at an unemployment level not seen since the great depression, if it wasn't a joke I doubt he raises much

It's hard to see this going anywhere. The CBA would have to be changed so I doubt it's happening anytime soon although it does appear Dinwiddie is challenging it's structure playfully or not.

Dinwiddie compares it to a shoe endorsement contract except shoe companies do not select teams, at least not yet. Maybe some day we will look back at him as a pioneer.

If this were a player like Anthony Davis or Lebron it would be taken much more seriously.

"Shoe companies and endorsers influence team decisions all the time. My/our biggest endorsers will always be the fans, so I want to have some fun with this while we're all under quarantine. I hope no owners/team personnel participate, so there's no impropriety on this one of a kind endorsement deal."

https://www.si.com/nba/76ers/news/76ers-spencer-dinwiddie-donations-votes-fans

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report: Bojan Bogdanovic is having season ending surgery on right wrist.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fansided did a re-draft of the entire 2018 draft.

In the re-draft here is the order for the first 10 picks:

1. Luka Doncic

2. Trae Young

3. Deandre Ayton

4. Jaren Jackson Jr.

5. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

6. Wendell Carter

7. Marvin Bagley

8. Kevin Huerter

9. Mitchell Roninson

10. Mikal Bridges (Suns trade with 76ers)

https://fansided.com/2020/05/19/re-ranking-2018-nba-draft-class-luka-doncic/

If the redo of the 2018 draft means anything, at least the Suns got two selections in the top ten right.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Fansided did a re-draft of the entire 2018 draft.

In the re-draft here is the order for the first 10 picks:

1. Luka Doncic

2. Trae Young

3. Deandre Ayton

4. Jaren Jackson Jr.

5. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

6. Wendell Carter

7. Marvin Bagley

8. Kevin Huerter

9. Mitchell Roninson

10. Mikal Bridges (Suns trade with 76ers)

https://fansided.com/2020/05/19/re-ranking-2018-nba-draft-class-luka-doncic/

If the redo of the 2018 draft means anything, at least the Suns got two selections in the top ten right.
Man, these guys hate Charlotte. Devonte Graham just went 18.2/7.5 on 37% from 3. I'd put him in the top 5, probably at #4 ahead of Jaren.

It'll be nice to see this redone in 5 years when big men have a chance to develop.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ayton suspension is the only reason I think he's behind Trae Young in the redraft. Don't get wrong, Young has looked really good but he's still a sieve on defense and hasn't managed to elevate his teammates games as much as I thought he would. He made his Oklahoma teammates look decent, I thought he'd have more of a Nash impact of making average players look good but that hasn't happened, yet.

Luka, Ayton, Trae, and I'd have Shai at #4. He looked good in Los Angeles and has looked better in OKC and proved he could play both guards spots at a high level.

Jaren Jackson at #5
Carter at #6
Graham at #7
Bagley at #8
Bridges at #9
Sexton at #10

Mitchell Robinson is overrated in New York and Huerter isn't anything special, IMO.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Ayton suspension is the only reason I think he's behind Trae Young in the redraft. Don't get wrong, Young has looked really good but he's still a sieve on defense and hasn't managed to elevate his teammates games as much as I thought he would. He made his Oklahoma teammates look decent, I thought he'd have more of a Nash impact of making average players look good but that hasn't happened, yet.
I also look at Aytin will be a solid double double every night. Luka I can see because of how he makes his teammates better. Trae Young is more of just a scorer at least now.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Trae is pretty overrated , his offense hardly makes up for his defense and he's only an average playmaker for his teammates , Hawks aren't going to compete unless they get alot of two way studs to surround him with

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It'll be nice to see this redone in 5 years when big men have a chance to develop.

Indeed. If Ayton stays on the trajectory of development he began to show last season after the suspension, he is going to exceed Young and even Doncic. It's conditional on him keeping his head on straight, but it could happen.

And yes, Young is overrated. He may end up being the next Carmelo if he doesn't round out his game more.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Trae is pretty overrated , his offense hardly makes up for his defense and he's only an average playmaker for his teammates , Hawks aren't going to compete unless they get alot of two way studs to surround him with
True. He's also leading the league in TO's at 4.8pg and has an abysmal A:TO ratio at 1.94 (Ranked #158-ish according to FoxSports). He's also shooting an uninspiring 36.1% from 3 (Rubio is at 35.1%).

You are absolutely correct on two-way players. They need to use the GS model to help hide his deficiencies (good luck Atlanta).

Still, the guy is electric and has the potential to be amazing.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Luka is the only guy in that draft that goes ahead of Ayton. They are by far the best two players in that draft.

the Trae Young thing is a joke. That kid would drive me nuts if he was on my team. I can see spectacular one minute and maddening the next. He’s literally the worst defender in the NBA and his decision making is a joke. He’s so careless with the ball.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
A 21 year old averaging those numbers on a trash team is still very impressive and I say the same thing about Book.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A 21 year old averaging those numbers on a trash team is still very impressive and I say the same thing about Book.

say what?

Young has been touted as this Steph Curry type bomber but as it’s been pointed out he’s actually not a good 3 point shooter

he averages almost 5 turnovers a game he’s super careless with the ball and not really a great playmaker either.

he’s literally the worst defender in the NBA no like really the worst. He doesn’t even try. His defense makes Booker look like Gary Payton.

he’s a chucker, now can he get better sure but right now he’s just a chucker in a bad team

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like players have been working out with other teammates in some limited way for awhile.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Young is leading Atlanta to a worse record than Ayton's Suns. It doesn't matter if you use the Suns total record or just when Ayton plays but the Suns are still better than the Hawks and they have the tougher schedule playing in the West. I don't get how that writer can list Young and Huerter ahead of Ayton and Bridges when the Suns are better in large part because of Ayton and Bridges while the Hawks are one game from being the worst in the East, being led by Young and Huerter.

If you swapped Young and Huerter for Ayton and Bridges, I think Atlanta becomes a borderline playoff team in the East but the Suns get worse, considerably worse.

The Young before Ayton pick is questionable but somewhat understandable due to Ayton's suspension but I can't understand how overrated he has Huerter. Having him before Bridges basically says Huerter would command more in a trade and that the Suns would swap Bridges for Huerter but the Hawks wouldn't. Huerter could be the next Nik Stauskus and out of the league in the next couple of years if he doesn't add something beside perimeter shooting to his game.

The whole paragraph on Huerter is saying he's better than Bridges, or has a higher ceiling, and I don't know how anyone could say that who has seen Bridges in more than 1-2 games. Even watching Bridges in just 1 or 2 games though you can see he's consistent on defense no matter what the score is, his assignment, or the opponent. I'd be shocked if Bridges doesn't make an All-Defensive team within the next 3 years.

Here is what he says about Hueter...

Kevin Huerter checks a lot of the same boxes as Mikal Bridges, but has shown some higher skill level that could indicate a more valuable ceiling. I had a very poor read on the diversity of Huerter’s offensive game at Maryland — he looked like a one-dimensional shooter, but he’s proven to be able to use his athleticism more effectively than anticipated, allowing him to turn his passing ability into a legitimate weapon. He’s been a very easy fit with the Hawks’ system, and probably has a baseline of being an effective, complementary offensive weapon. But with how his ball-handling, decision-making, and defensive ability have improved in his second season, there’s potential that he has latent upside that can turn him into a Khris Middleton or Tobias Harris type as a second or third option offensively. While Bridges is probably better now, Huerter feels like a better bet to continue to grow at his current pace offensively, and that probably makes him the answer to the question “Which guy can make an average team good?” rather than being a good complement on a team surrounding him with elite talent.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
But Booker is dissed by hoops pundits (and some portion of fans) as being an "empty numbers guy on a bad team."

Meanwhile, Young is uprated by those same pundits as "an upcoming star, the future of the league" along with Doncic.

Tell me that's not ironic and hypocritical.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
But Booker is dissed by hoops pundits (and some portion of fans) as being an "empty numbers guy on a bad team."

Meanwhile, Young is uprated by those same pundits as "an upcoming star, the future of the league" along with Doncic.

Doesn't it reflect the sloppy management of the Suns? As you quoted, "... on a bad team."

Y' might say it shouldn't. But how could it not? Basketball is the THE most team sport that exists.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

that’s pretty much the point.