The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA Draft has not been formally pushed back.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

The NBA's Board of Governors voted on those items in a conference call today, but held off on formally pushing back the June 25 Draft date -- although sources still expect that will eventually be done.

1:48 PM - 1 May 2020

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The NBA Draft has not formally pushed back the NBA Draft.

The NBA's Board of Governors voted on those items in a conference call today, but held off on formally pushing back the June 25 Draft date -- although sources still expect that will eventually be done.

1:48 PM - 1 May 2020
Good call. Absolutely no need to rush anything right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Among the discussion topics today on the call: The merits of moving back the start of the 2020-2021 until December, sources said. Part of that ongoing converation surrounds the opportunity a delay could give NBA teams to get more fans in arenas for more games next season.

1:51 PM - 1 May 2020

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So . . . is this season just not going to have a champion? That would be a fascinating asterisk in the history books.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So . . . is this season just not going to have a champion? That would be a fascinating asterisk in the history books.

It looks like the NBA will delay the start of the 2020-2021 season until December not to mention pushing back the dates of the lottery and combine. The Draft may be pushed back as well. Also the players will need time to get in shape.

Maybe a close to the season and playoffs starting sometime around July-August-September if everything drastically improves.

Hard to believe the NBA will not crown a champion in some format.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA grapples with who is essential personnel for games especially concern for older staffers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Report: Knicks, Nets, Rockets all have interest in Tom Thibodeau as coach

While his reputation took a hit with the failure in bringing Jimmy Butler to Minnesota and allegedly mishandling young talent, sources told The Post the Nets and Houston will have strong interest, too. Houston’s Mike D’Antoni will be a free agent.

It appears Thibodeau would have interest in all three jobs. But the Knicks would get first crack at their former assistant coach since they won’t be competing in any potential playoffs… According to sources, Nets stars Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving each like and respect Thibodeau, who coached them as a Team USA assistant.
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-knicks-nets-rockets-interest-130045264.html

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: The NBA and its players are supporting a Mayo Clinic study for antibodies using serology testing (blood draw) to better understand prevalence of coronavirus among players and staff and promote long-term efforts to develop vaccine.

7:58 PM - 4 May 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No shocker here. Gobert and Mitchell will reportedly put their differences behind them.

Tim MacMahon‏Verified account @espn_macmahon

Jazz executive VP Dennis Lindsey on Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell: "They're ready to put this behind them, move forward, act professionally. ... We're very pleased with the collective makeup of our group, Donovan and Rudy in particular. We look forward to moving forward."

2:41 PM - 5 May 2020

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
“I give Ben and our medical staff a ton of credit for their hard work throughout his recovery,” he said. “I give Ben so much credit for him working so hard throughout this unknown time. Fortunately, we’ve able to arrange for him to continue to get the treatment and rehab he needs during this hiatus. I’m very optimistic he’ll be able to play if and when we’re given that green light to resume…

“We’ve took our time, we’ve been methodical and thoughtful about his recovery and rehab, just to make sure, because we weren’t in a rush. It’s hard to speculate. He’s been working hard and I know he’d be close or ready… When I FaceTime him during his workouts and his treatments and I see him, I’d be highly encouraged.”
https://sports.yahoo.com/76ers-gm-elton-brand-optimistic-011250911.html

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Just to add, that article is about Ben Simmons being ready to return to action if the playoffs, or season, starts up within the next month or so. He was sidelined in February with a nerve issue in his back and missed 8 games prior to the season being suspended.

I wasn't sure what the issue was reading that snippet. I didn't think he had tested positive for the Corona Virus but if there isn't medical information given to the contrary, I can't blame anyone for thinking health issues discussed are related to the virus.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It looks like the NBA will delay the start of the 2020-2021 season until December not to mention pushing back the dates of the lottery and combine. The Draft may be pushed back as well. Also the players will need time to get in shape.

Maybe a close to the season and playoffs starting sometime around July-August-September if everything drastically improves.

Hard to believe the NBA will not crown a champion in some format.

I'm fine with it. If you want to give the Bucks some sort of regular season trophy that seems fair. Let's just focus on a small season maybe starting December and get in the 2021 playoffs. The NBA is the best league, I trust them to handle this safely.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with it. If you want to give the Bucks some sort of regular season trophy that seems fair. Let's just focus on a small season maybe starting December and get in the 2021 playoffs. The NBA is the best league, I trust them to handle this safely.

At this point I am not enthused who wins the NBA Championship if there is one. Let's move on to next season. Besides, whoever wins the championship is probably the one that has the best training program not necessarily the best team.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At this point I am not enthused who wins the NBA Championship if there is one. Let's move on to next season. Besides, whoever wins the championship is probably the one that has the best training program not necessarily the best team.
Plus there is no chance the Lakers win it and that is funny.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rumor: Jeff Van Gundy could replace Mike D’Antoni as Rockets coach

Sam Amick of The Athletic:

As I reported a couple months ago, barring a championship, if they do save the season, I do not get the sense that Mike D’Antoni is going to be back. They’ve had a major divide in the contract negotiations. I’m always cautious when it comes to reporting. So, I’m going to throw in the never say never. Pro sports is a crazy thing. You know what I mean? But the information that we’ve constantly heard is that that bridge, for the most part, has been burned, and now they’re just kind of mutually agreeing to make the best of the time they have together.

Jeff Van Gundy’s name is the one that I had heard consistently as a very possible replacement for Mike.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rumor-jeff-van-gundy-could-160046693.html

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
New Bulls front office leaning toward moving Jim Boylen out, getting new coach
Ownership, as well as former vice president of basketball operations-turned-adviser John Paxson, would like Boylen back and have told the coach as much… [Karnisovas and Eversley] have already had detailed discussions with players and retained personnel, however, and are getting enough of a mixed bag of feedback of what’s gone on the last year that they are leaning toward starting with a new coach and moving on from Boylen once a decision on the season is made by the league, according to a source…

What will undoubtedly sink him, though, is a source said that several key players ripped Boylen to the regime, and then there’s the elephant in the room of a 39-84 (.317) record since taking over from Fred Hoiberg.
https://sports.yahoo.com/bulls-front-office-leaning-toward-130854344.html

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spencer Dinwiddie will play a season anywhere fans decide for about $24,632,630 on a GoFundMe.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Spencer Dinwiddie will play a season anywhere fans decide for about $24,632,630 on a GoFundMe.

I wonder what the players association thinks of that. I don't see Dinwiddie being much of an issue but imagine if Lebron did something like that, said that he'd sign with whatever team's fanbase raised X amount first. It wouldn't be fans choosing then so much as the richer owners. Guys like Steve Ballmer or Mark Cuban would cut a big check and get it done with it, ASAP.

Back to Dinwiddie though. What sort of contract will he sign with that team? It would almost have to be the league's minimum considering he'd have an obligation to sign with a specific team, why would that team pay market value for a player who has already committed to that organization? How would playing time or fit factor in also. Say Portland gets him, he won't see a ton of time behind Lillard and McCollum and that will effect his next contract. Just using Portland as an example but they aren't the only one where he wouldn't be a starter and may not even be a sixth man.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the players association thinks of that. I don't see Dinwiddie being much of an issue but imagine if Lebron did something like that, said that he'd sign with whatever team's fanbase raised X amount first. It wouldn't be fans choosing then so much as the richer owners. Guys like Steve Ballmer or Mark Cuban would cut a big check and get it done with it, ASAP.

Back to Dinwiddie though. What sort of contract will he sign with that team? It would almost have to be the league's minimum considering he'd have an obligation to sign with a specific team, why would that team pay market value for a player who has already committed to that organization? How would playing time or fit factor in also. Say Portland gets him, he won't see a ton of time behind Lillard and McCollum and that will effect his next contract. Just using Portland as an example but they aren't the only one where he wouldn't be a starter and may not even be a sixth man.

CBS speculates it might be sarcasm as it violates the rules of the NBA and NBPA.

It reportedly would be a one year minimum contract if it were to happen.

If the sarcasm wasn't apparent, this offer, which Dinwiddie is likely making in jest anyway, is in no way, shape or form legal. While there is no direct rule against crowdfunding a contract, that is likely because the NBA never considered a possibility. Fortunately, this idea still manages to violate virtually every clause of Article XIII of the collective bargaining agreement, the section related to salary cap circumvention.

The short version: third parties cannot pay for basketball services, the legal definition of a player's salary. Who is the third party here? The fans paying for Dinwiddie's GoFundMe. Would Dinwiddie's actual player contract be making "substantially below the fair market value of such a contract?" Yes. Spencer Dinwiddie nearly made the All-Star Game this year. He is only 27-years-old. He is worth far beyond the minimum. If anything, the number he sets in GoFundMe sets the bar too low. In a typical offseason, he should at least expect a deal that pays him eight figures for several years.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...am-of-fans-choice-if-they-raise-24-6-million/

It apparently started on twitter.

https://sports.yahoo.com/spencer-dinwiddie-launches-crowd-funded-151335986.html

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CBS speculates it might be sarcasm as it violates the rules of the NBA and NBPA.

It reportedly would be a one year minimum contract if it were to happen.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...am-of-fans-choice-if-they-raise-24-6-million/

It apparently started on twitter.

https://sports.yahoo.com/spencer-dinwiddie-launches-crowd-funded-151335986.html

Wouldn't put it past Dinwiddie. He challenged the NBPA & CBA not long ago with how he wanted to converted his contract to some futures commodity or something. Admittedly I didn't quite understand what he was looking to do but I know it was against the CBA initially.

Here's a link on that, it's from earlier this year. I thought he did that last season, perhaps that's when he started the process.

https://news.bitcoin.com/nba-star-spencer-dinwiddie-just-tokenized-his-own-contract/

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score

A go fund me is an interesting choice right now considering the US is at an unemployment level not seen since the great depression, if it wasn't a joke I doubt he raises much

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson