Westworld (HBO)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest question this season.....is there going to be any "west" in it?

Westworld was the beginning of the violent delights The violent ends don't appear to be constrained by that locale any longer. Nor should they, IMO. Would the stakes even matter if this story stayed inside that one simulation the entire run of the series? I guess I'm not understanding your concern.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Westworld was the beginning of the violent delights The violent ends don't appear to be constrained by that locale any longer. Nor should they, IMO. Would the stakes even matter if this story stayed inside that one simulation the entire run of the series? I guess I'm not understanding your concern.

There is a reason the original was split into two different stories. West World and Future World. Westworld has a specific setting. If they always planned on moving away from it maybe the title should have been different. Westworld is the show I signed on for. Sure, I loved that they diverged a bit but it would it would be strange to abandon the concept all together.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a reason the original was split into two different stories. West World and Future World. Westworld has a specific setting. If they always planned on moving away from it maybe the title should have been different. Westworld is the show I signed on for. Sure, I loved that they diverged a bit but it would it would be strange to abandon the concept all together.

I just don't see how much more they could do if they were obligated for some reason to stay inside the West simulation. The story has run its course and that course is taking it out of a single locale. I'm sure they'll find a way to circle back at some point, but I would think it would be silly to crowbar something back in there if it doesn't serve the story but serves only the title of the series. Feels like a semantic nit-pick, but ok, that's your prerogative.

I'm guessing we'll both enjoy it regardless.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't see how much more they could do if they were obligated for some reason to stay inside the West simulation. The story has run its course and that course is taking it out of a single locale. I'm sure they'll find a way to circle back at some point, but I would think it would be silly to crowbar something back in there if it doesn't serve the story but serves only the title of the series. Feels like a semantic nit-pick, but ok, that's your prerogative.

I'm guessing we'll both enjoy it regardless.

That ship has probably already sailed since characters got out. We agree. However, most fans of WW that I know loved the movie because of the Western setting and the idea of interacting in that environment much like the movie. I totally agree the story has to progress which is why if that was the plan all along maybe they should have used a different title. I PERSONALLY was excited because of the setting. Once you get into AI, robots and battling it out with humans in a modern setting this show becomes like 20 or 30 other shows and movies. That's all.

I loved the new stuff behind the scenes stuff with the park. Loved the idea that the battle might range outside of the park. That's not what I am saying. I really hope either through flashbacks or something they at least keep with the theme of the show even if it's only a part. Wanting them to keep some of the "West" in WestWorld is hardly a nitpick. LOL.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m good with wherever this goes. Because it was never really in any way about the west.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

March 15th!!!!! :clapping:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this show. The early part of season 2 just didn't catch me. It was rather indecipherable, and not in a cool puzzle way. Seemed like they got too caught up in being obscure and jumping around. I assume it improved?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I thought episode one was somewhat interesting but episode 2 was kind of a mess. I’m not really thrilled at the direction it seems to be heading (I was a big fan of the first two seasons).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought episode one was somewhat interesting but episode 2 was kind of a mess. I’m not really thrilled at the direction it seems to be heading (I was a big fan of the first two seasons).

it turned into background music for me 20 minutes into episode 1. I mean, when a show can't hold your attention during a freaking quarantine, that's a baaaaaad sign.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The latter half of season 2 was so convoluted that I needed to go back and watch some of it to remember where they left off. Bad sign, especially because I can remember season 1 like I watched it yesterday. I started up the first episode of season 3 but I didn't care enough to sit through it.

For those that are going to watch season 3, let it be known if it is a true disaster. Sometimes a "hate watch" is a good time, but something needs to be spectacularly bad to fall into that range.

For example:

True Detective season 1 was one of the most amazing shows I have ever watched. Season 2 was mind-blowingly awful, so bad that mocking it with my friends was a fantastic time. Then season 3 came out and it lacked the brilliance of the first season or the tire fire of the second, it just... was... and I was so uninvolved that I never finished it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is what I was worried about above. I mean there are different stories related to this world. West world, Future world etc. This really doesn't feel like West World any longer. It feels like a a mix of the two and a disjointed one at that.

I am stuck at home like everyone else so I will keep watching. Maybe it will hit it's stride.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m good with wherever this goes. Because it was never really in any way about the west.
Yes I agree, wasn’t about the west to begin with.

The use of existing buildings in the new season is pretty cool.
The City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia and the Parkroyal hotel in Singapore and the pedestrian bridge in Marina Bay are perfect for this TV show.

Anyone has any clue which Host Is in Charlotte Hale’s Body?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes I agree, wasn’t about the west to begin with.

The use of existing buildings in the new season is pretty cool.
The City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia and the Parkroyal hotel in Singapore and the pedestrian bridge in Marina Bay are perfect for this TV show.

Anyone has any clue which Host Is in Charlotte Hale’s Body?
My guess is Dolores’ boyfriend.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it wasn’t the boyfriend.

Liking the season thus far. My wife seems less interested in it, though.

Yep. Didn't see the Delores thing coming. My wife is the same. She loved the show and now? She has lost interest. She says this Season isn't interesting.

JerkFace

Reaction score
At this point it is pretty much a completely different show from the first two seasons.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point it is pretty much a completely different show from the first two seasons.

To me it seems like the people in the 'real world' are going through the same things as the hosts did in the first season, just on a larger scale. I'm also finding a lot of it hits close to home in many respects. :eek:

JerkFace

Reaction score
They just announced that it has been renewed for a fourth season. I hope the creators are smart enough to finish it up. I really doubt it gets a fifth season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m having a difficult time seeing how it gets stretched into another season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this totally lost me 30 minutes into episode 1 this season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Season was completely meh and lost it's identity as I feared before the season began. It had some interesting philosophical ideas but the show felt like a completely new show verses being any sort of organic change. Not sure either where this could go for Season 4 but based on the trajectory of the show it's probably a good idea to let that season be the last.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Season 3 is always a transition season for a show. For better or worse.

I think the themes carry forward though, at least what they’re trying to show.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson