Hornets @ Suns Sunday game thread 1-12-20

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It sounds as though we don't have any information about how high or quick Ayton can jump from standing on two feet. My guess is that he's lacking in this particular athletic measure. Last season, when he was starting, I remember he lost almost every opening jump ball I watched.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It sounds as though we don't have any information about how high or quick Ayton can jump from standing on two feet. My guess is that he's lacking in this particular athletic measure. Last season, when he was starting, I remember he lost almost every opening jump ball I watched.
Really. He has a 34.5 inch vert according to typical measurements, but he can't jump off of two feet? I don't buy it. I think the better explanation is that he is still a boy in his own mind and he is intimidated by NBA men.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@Russ Smith was talking about this very thing during Ayton's freshman season at U of A. He routinely loses jump balls. did in college, does now. it's a weird quirk for someone as athletic as he is.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Really. He has a 34.5 inch vert according to typical measurements, but he can't jump off of two feet? I don't buy it. I think the better explanation is that he is still a boy in his own mind and he is intimidated by NBA men.

Where are you seeing these measurements? None of them are official...

Also what percentage of rebounds are from jumping off one foot?

Let’s just call it like us... He’s got a great frame but he’s not a generational athlete. He is a very good one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Let’s just call it like us... He’s got a great frame but he’s not a generational athlete. He is a very good one.

this is right.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Nah. I don't think so. I think its mental. The game moves to fast for him, or his brain is too slow for the game--at least right now. Maybe he will never catch up. I suppose that is part of athleticism, but I do not think his problem is running, jumping or quickness. I have seen too much of his game to think it is that. His reaction time just seems off.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith was talking about this very thing during Ayton's freshman season at U of A. He routinely loses jump balls. did in college, does now. it's a weird quirk for someone as athletic as he is.

Yep even Thomas Welsh won a jumpball again him, 7 footer with no hops at all and short arms compared to Ayton. I think it's why he doesn't block lots of shots I think it's a timing thing he just doesn't time the jumps.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I think Ayton alters a lot of shots compared to Saric and Handsome Frank so it's good to have him back. Just hoping for continued progress. Good to see Monty or whoever is trying by benching etc. He'll get through this as a better player, I'm sure. Why not be a little optimistic. Big men take longer, right?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I don't think it's a chemistry thing as much as a message thing. Notice how Ayton got more playing time than Baynes and also was depended on down the stretch. If it was about chemistry or really who is starting that wouldn't happen. This was simply a message type thing to a young player who is struggling with the light bulb coming on. It's a you have to earn your starting position back type message IMO. Monty is trying to light that fire.

Having said that Ayton did show some grit last night. Some of his dunks were with authority. Something he needs to do more often. He still took some really bad, flat footed jumpers but he also fought to post up multiple times last night. I don't remember him doing as much as he did last night. Someone is in his ear or the move to the bench is having an impact.
That and mostly I believe Monty is trying to keep him fresher for the 4th qtrs. He's still not completely up to speed. It's coming, but he's still got a ways to go.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
just following the box score on line, looked like Ayton's 6 points and 4 boards in the fourth were big keys to getting the W. stoked to see that. want much more of it.
Take into consideration that it was against a marginal team.

As our only decent big man (who prefers playing outside),
the consideration should be what is going to be done about
that. Versus pro or con Deandre. It is about the team and
its needs.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Take into consideration that it was against a marginal team.

As our only decent big man (who prefers playing outside),
the consideration should be what is going to be done about
that.
Versus pro or con Deandre. It is about the team and
its needs.
Coaches and Baynes are in his ear. He's listening, and starting to show more presence down low. Posting, asking for inlets.
Man if he could develop a hook! Show him some Jabbar and Hakeem footage. :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Ayton alters a lot of shots compared to Saric and Handsome Frank so it's good to have him back. Just hoping for continued progress. Good to see Monty or whoever is trying by benching etc. He'll get through this as a better player, I'm sure. Why not be a little optimistic. Big men take longer, right?

That is a great nickname. HF from now on--especially since calling him FK might be taken the wrong way.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Coaches and Baynes are in his ear. He's listening, and starting to show more presence down low. Posting, asking for inlets.

He has one. I've seen it quite a few times. Nice touch.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I haven’t found the content but Bickley on the radio today referenced that Sarver is in his ear about developing as a player. That’s a little strange...

@BC867

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I haven’t found the content but Bickley on the radio today referenced that Sarver is in his ear about developing as a player. That’s a little strange...

@BC867

And if Sarver keeps meddling like this, I am back to wondering if we are better off pushing the reset button with a replacement or expansion franchise than dealing with another at least 20 years of this...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yep even Thomas Welsh won a jumpball again him, 7 footer with no hops at all and short arms compared to Ayton. I think it's why he doesn't block lots of shots I think it's a timing thing he just doesn't time the jumps.

He timed that one hand lob dunk pretty well last night. Jump balls are stupid, who cares.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. I like Embiid's attitude that he wants to win every one.

If u win the jump u get the first possession and the ball to start the fourth quarter. If you lose u get the ball to start the second and third. Not very important.

They used to jump at the start of every quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
If u win the jump u get the first possession and the ball to start the fourth quarter. If you lose u get the ball to start the second and third. Not very important.

They used to jump at the start of every quarter.

Yep. I'd rather have the ball to start the 1st and 4th.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Cool story, bro. ;)

Dude

Nobody cares about the tip-off.

If one more person chimes in here and states that they are also concerned about Ayton’s tip-off skills I will concede that you are a tip-off genius.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson