The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of my favorite things about this board is how familiar most of the posters are with each other and these weird little side chats that people have. They're not usually more than 5-6 posts in total and no one needs to be told to get back on topic because that happens naturally. It adds layers to the personalities here.

I don't think it happened as often, or was as friendly, over the past few years because the team sucked but there is an infectious positivity here because the Suns are finally competitive that helps loosen everyone up.

Never thought I'd get a little lesson on disco on a Suns forum.

Agreed.

I like the diversity here. Healthy levels of snarks and homers and most seem to get along. No offense to anyone who likes some of the other forums, but in my experience they tend to be either echo chambers or troll stomping grounds.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Game winning shot tonight notwithstanding (against arguably the worst team in the NBA), Brandon Clarke has outshined Ja Morant on the Grizzlies thus far.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also really wanted Barrett even though it didn't seem like a great fit.

I think Barrett was the #3 choice by many but some thought he should be drafted #2.

One good thing about him going to the Knicks, he is their star immediately.

In regard to fit, a team should always find a way to make a player like Barrett fit. He could probably play small forward for the Suns.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought he’d be a good consolation prize. Looks like so far he’s struggling.

I was not his biggest fan, but he is in a terrible situation. That roster is trash, he's the only wing or guard that the opposition needs to pay any attention to.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
On the lighter side, the NBA is evidently thinking about a 4-point line.

"And he was fouled so he'll be taking four free throws"? Or a 5-point
play. "A close game but they won it 200 to 198."

I guess Major League baseball would look into moving the fences in to
the edge of the infield dirt. "It was a pitchers' battle 42-38." :)

Bye bye tradition. Man, when I was in college and we'd play nickel-dime
poker into the night in the fraternity house, if anyone even said "deuces
and one-eyed jacks wild", I'd pull my ante back out for that hand.

https://sports.yahoo.com/larry-bird-offers-thoughts-nba-215513997.html

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bye bye tradition. Man, when I was in college and we'd play nickel-dime poker into the night in the fraternity house, if anyone even said "deuces and one-eyed jacks wild", I'd pull my ante back out for that hand.

https://sports.yahoo.com/larry-bird-offers-thoughts-nba-215513997.html

So I take it you would have pulled your ante if someone called Baseball? If you're not familiar with it, it's a 7 Card Stud game where 3's and 9's are wild and an upturned 4 gets you an extra card. We also used to play it the same way but as 9 card stud instead. I think it was called Blind Baseball but when I learned it from an Army buddy, it was called Baseball Night Game. There's also a few other similar games to those, Football (3's and 6's wild, upturned 2 gets you an extra card) and Woolworth's which uses the 5 and 10 for wilds but I don't recall what the bonus card was.

I used to hate wild card and extra card games or anything but traditional poker but over time I realized that the options (gimmicks) gave the wilder players more chances to screw up so I grew to love them. I especially liked any version of 7 card stud that resulted in 1 or more losers having to match the pot as an ante for the next game - games such as High Card Guillotine and Black Mariah.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Barrett looks like what I thought he’d be. High volume free balling type.

I’ve been wrong on Ja so far. I would’ve taken him #2 easily but I thought he’d be a huge project and take time. He’s very under control for an explosive rookie PG from the Ohio Valley.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Barrett looks like what I thought he’d be. High volume free balling type.

I’ve been wrong on Ja so far. I would’ve taken him #2 easily but I thought he’d be a huge project and take time. He’s very under control for an explosive rookie PG from the Ohio Valley.
I was very confident about both Ja and Trae being what they are now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clint Capela was evaluated for a concussion.

Tim MacMahon‏Verified account @espn_macmahon

Source: Rockets center Clint Capela is expected to miss Friday's home game against the Pacers. Capela was evaluated for a concussion after a collision when he drew a charge late in Houston's win over the Clippers on Wednesday.

9:47 AM - 14 Nov 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caris LeVert has undergone surgery to repair damage to right thumb and is expected to miss several weeks.

This is a blow to the Nets.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The surprise team in the NBA thus far for me is the Raptors with an 8-3 record. They are without some key players due to injury including Kyle Lowry and the departure of Kawhi Leonard.

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/injuries/_/name/tor
Siakem became a true superstar. 27pts 9reb 4assists per game through the 11 games. Kinda chuckling about the folks on here that equated Siakem to oubre.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The surprise team in the NBA thus far for me is the Raptors with an 8-3 record. They are without some key players due to injury including Kyle Lowry and the departure of Kawhi Leonard.

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/injuries/_/name/tor
Toronto is a good team. They did win the title after all. Yes, they had Kawai, but they must have had good players to get that far.

IMO, the surprise so far is still our Suns.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Toronto is a good team. They did win the title after all. Yes, they had Kawai, but they must have had good players to get that far.

IMO, the surprise so far is still our Suns.
They also lost Danny green. Those are two big pieces.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also lost Danny green. Those are two big pieces.

Yes they are and they've parted ways with some other key players too over the past few years but still, they've made the playoffs for 6 straight seasons while averaging 53 wins per year. And they trailed only the Warriors for best record the season prior to Kawhi and Green.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose