ATL @ ARI: Heroes and Goats

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It feels AMAZING to be on a two-game not-losing streak, but let's keep a few things in perspective:
  1. Atlanta scored 11 more points than their per-game average
  2. We scored just slightly more point (33) than Atlanta averages (31)
  3. The game was sealed on a missed extra point
The best news is that no one is complaining about our draft position being mangled or whatever. Having a competitive team is fun, and so is regression toward the mean.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chase Edmonds – David Johnson may or may not be wildly overpaid, but there's no question Edmonds has continued to earn more work and is a playmaking spark that this offense needs. The challenge is how well he and the offense can adapt once opponents begin to adjust.

Byron Murphy – Absolutely standout game from the rookie cornerback. It wasn't perfect, but Murphy was a perfect tone-setter, beginning with his jaw-rattling hit on Julio Jones. It'll be compelling to see how he'll play when Patrick Peterson returns this week.

Kliff Kingsbury – Many people are going to credit the little Sooner under Center, but Kingsbury continues to improve week after week in calling and managing games. Surprisingly, the announcers said yesterday that Kingsbury lets an analytics assistant dictate 4th down decisions.

You must be registered for see images attach

Terrell Suggs – It's never a good idea to makes seven figure free agent signings for PR purposes, but it's looking more and more like Suggs is on some kind of retirement tour. He's effectively eating snaps, but his guessing on the snap count put the Cards in bad positions.

Budda Baker – The Cards are going to get an interception this season. In fact, I anticipate that the pass defense and turnovers will regress toward the mean and it'll feel like we've "figured it out." But you just have to expect more from a leader of the defense than what we've seen.

Andy Isabella – Isabella had 12 snaps and no touches or targets. It's probably not his fault that the hype machine rolled over Eye-Andy, but you know who's also rolling over him on the depth chart? Pharoh Cooper, who couldn't get snaps with literally 31 other teams, and Maxx Williams.

Did the future of football arrive?

Great googly-moogly, those dimes to Trent Sherfield and Damiere Byrd were exciting. If Murray can make those kinds of throws consistently — long passes that drop from a high angle into the receiver's hands — it truly could be something profoundly different. The sit-down on the aborted scramble was not attractive, though.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have put Justin Pugh on the Hero's list.

The OLine gets beat up on a regular basis here and I thought Pugh had a fantastic game. He completely took his man out of the play on several of DJ and Edmonds big runs. Pugh was a monster this past Sunday.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sit down play was a bad read on the run option, the RB was open and the man covering Kyler was totally ready for him. I have no issue with the sit down, he had no option, the bigger mistake was keeping the ball on that play.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The OLine gets beat up on a regular basis here and I thought Pugh had a fantastic game. He completely took his man out of the play on several of DJ and Edmonds big runs. Pugh was a monster this past Sunday.
Agreed. The line flipped a switch compared to last week imo. Maybe the new oline coach lit a fire? :)

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The Cardinals have lost thier share of games on missed extra points.

The Falcons missed an extra point and lost the game. Part of NFL football is making extra points, so I see no difference between winning because of a missed extra point.

The Lions won the opener because of a dropped INT.

You gotta make the plays to win the game.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Andy Is-a-bust-a deserves a permanent spot in the Goat section until he actually does something on the field. Like, anything

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Andy Is-a-bust-a deserves a permanent spot in the Goat section until he actually does something on the field. Like, anything
Nice.

So he should be off the list.

Agreed, he should be a receiving threat on par with a second round pick.

It is VERY unfair to say he is doing nothing on the field. He has been a MONSTER on special teams.

Him and Schefield being the gunner on punts has been very impressive.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no fair putting Isabella in. 12 snaps, he was in on the TD to Edmonds, the TD to Maxx and the big gainer short pass to DJ. Teams are so terrified of him that it opens up the rest of the field.

Ok not seriously it is alarming have we even attempted a pass to him yet? I count 11 guys with catches this year and that doesn't count Murray I guess they ruled that a lateral from Fitz.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Andy Isabella was WIDE OPEN on the TD pass to Edmonds (I believe) and would have walked in with the ball. WR's to do anything have to be targeted.

On the goat side I'd add:
1. Cooper for dropping the first down pass that led to a punt.
2. Larry for not being on the right page and missing a pass when he was open. And then for committing a silly block in the back which took away a nice gain. Of course being the great player that he is, he led the team in receiving.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
While it would be great to have an impact WR I'm not sure I can blame him for that.

We've done nothing to get him the ball and into space (goalline play Kyler missed him, but again he wasn't the 1st read)

I need to see Andy actually get a pass attempt/try to get catch a football before I can truly judge him. Its possible Kliff/Keim are understimating that he's a gamer and not a practice guy yet.

Steve Smith was notorious early in his career for not running a precise route, but just used his great athletic ability until he figured it out.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I have ragged on Pugh ever since his signing but he brought it yesterday. I had him confused with Sweezy a few times. Check out Edmonds long catch and run down the left sideline and you’ll see Maxx Williams running his guy off the field and Pugh throwing big blocks 30 yards past the LOS. Beautiful thing to see everyone buying in.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
no fair putting Isabella in. 12 snaps, he was in on the TD to Edmonds, the TD to Maxx and the big gainer short pass to DJ. Teams are so terrified of him that it opens up the rest of the field.

Ok not seriously it is alarming have we even attempted a pass to him yet? I count 11 guys with catches this year and that doesn't count Murray I guess they ruled that a lateral from Fitz.
Isabella was open MULTIPLE times. Go back and check the tape.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
While it would be great to have an impact WR I'm not sure I can blame him for that.

We've done nothing to get him the ball and into space (goalline play Kyler missed him, but again he wasn't the 1st read)

I need to see Andy actually get a pass attempt/try to get catch a football before I can truly judge him. Its possible Kliff/Keim are understimating that he's a gamer and not a practice guy yet.

Steve Smith was notorious early in his career for not running a precise route, but just used his great athletic ability until he figured it out.

Well, whatever Is-a-bust-a is or isnt doing in practice or games is allowing a sixth-round pick and a kick returner to get more snaps than him at WR in games. He’s literally done nothing of substance for this team and for a second round pick, that’s unacceptable.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I saw their defense totally ignoring Isabella like he was not on the field. I actually wanted us to go to him because of that.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, whatever Is-a-bust-a is or isnt doing in practice or games is allowing a sixth-round pick and a kick returner to get more snaps than him at WR in games. He’s literally done nothing of substance for this team and for a second round pick, that’s unacceptable.
Can't argue that..

Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt since Kliff/Keim admitted they moved him around too much.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

It was funny when the announcer started talking Jarrett, the next play a guard (I think it was Pugh) drive blocked him 5 yards off the line of scrimmage.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have ragged on Pugh ever since his signing but he brought it yesterday. I had him confused with Sweezy a few times. Check out Edmonds long catch and run down the left sideline and you’ll see Maxx Williams running his guy off the field and Pugh throwing big blocks 30 yards past the LOS. Beautiful thing to see everyone buying in.

I totally forgot to mention that one. Pugh was 30 yards down field and totally crumpled that safety with a devastating block. It was a thing of beauty!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isabella was open MULTIPLE times. Go back and check the tape.

I get that. My response is maybe Kyler doesn't see him, maybe Kyler doesn't trust him. But he's starting to seem like the guy in a pickup basketball game that complains "I'm always open" and someone eventually has to tell him "there's a reason you're always open they WANT you to shoot."

I just think it's pretty crazy 11 guys with catches so far and our 2nd round pick hasn't to my recollection even had a pass thrown to him(?)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's early yet but Andy is starting to remind me of 2 former Cardinals(one in baseball) that had very long waits at the start of their careers. The first was Clyde Duncan who we drafted over Louis Lipps, he promptly held out, played 8 games and didn't catch a single pass. It was his 2nd season before he finally caught one, 2 years 19 games, 4 catches, 1 TD.

The other was baseball Cardinal David Green, who was one of the highest touted players in the minors that year came up late in the season and went something like 25 AB's before he got his first hit.

I know Andy can't catch one if they don't throw to him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson