ATL @ ARI: Heroes and Goats

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My point is that I hate using shotgun in 3rd and 4th and short situations. Get your ass under the center or, to KK, get the QB's ass under center!
Analytics proves that you are more successful running the ball from pass sets and spread formations. Spreading the defense out provides clarity for blocking assignments.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It feels AMAZING to be on a two-game not-losing streak, but let's keep a few things in perspective:
  1. Atlanta scored 11 more points than their per-game average
  2. We scored just slightly more point (33) than Atlanta averages (31)
  3. The game was sealed on a missed extra point
The best news is that no one is complaining about our draft position being mangled or whatever. Having a competitive team is fun, and so is regression toward the mean.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chase Edmonds – David Johnson may or may not be wildly overpaid, but there's no question Edmonds has continued to earn more work and is a playmaking spark that this offense needs. The challenge is how well he and the offense can adapt once opponents begin to adjust.

Byron Murphy – Absolutely standout game from the rookie cornerback. It wasn't perfect, but Murphy was a perfect tone-setter, beginning with his jaw-rattling hit on Julio Jones. It'll be compelling to see how he'll play when Patrick Peterson returns this week.

Kliff Kingsbury – Many people are going to credit the little Sooner under Center, but Kingsbury continues to improve week after week in calling and managing games. Surprisingly, the announcers said yesterday that Kingsbury lets an analytics assistant dictate 4th down decisions.

Terrell Suggs – It's never a good idea to makes seven figure free agent signings for PR purposes, but it's looking more and more like Suggs is on some kind of retirement tour. He's effectively eating snaps, but his guessing on the snap count put the Cards in bad positions.

Budda Baker – The Cards are going to get an interception this season. In fact, I anticipate that the pass defense and turnovers will regress toward the mean and it'll feel like we've "figured it out." But you just have to expect more from a leader of the defense than what we've seen.

Andy Isabella – Isabella had 12 snaps and no touches or targets. It's probably not his fault that the hype machine rolled over Eye-Andy, but you know who's also rolling over him on the depth chart? Pharoh Cooper, who couldn't get snaps with literally 31 other teams, and Maxx Williams.

Did the future of football arrive?

Great googly-moogly, those dimes to Trent Sherfield and Damiere Byrd were exciting. If Murray can make those kinds of throws consistently — long passes that drop from a high angle into the receiver's hands — it truly could be something profoundly different. The sit-down on the aborted scramble was not attractive, though.

That was so ugly lol

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree if you have a 6'5 240 lb QB. shotgun gives you a view of what hole may be open. Did you see the quote from an Atlanta Defensive player. he said we tried sacking him. dude is fast as hell. not exact words but exact point

Bah! Setting up in a formation that makes a quick-hit hand-off impossible in a short-yardage situation just stinks, IMO.

Analytics proves that you are more successful running the ball from pass sets and spread formations. Spreading the defense out provides clarity for blocking assignments.

Analytics schmanalytics. Quick QB sneak = impossible. Quick-hit hand-off = impossible. Already two of three preferred short-yardage plays are completely off the table because the formation makes them impossible. Fourth and inches, would you still want this offense to be in the shotgun? When the QB can fall forward for the first down?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bah! Setting up in a formation that makes a quick-hit hand-off impossible in a short-yardage situation just stinks, IMO.

Analytics schmanalytics. Quick QB sneak = impossible. Quick-hit hand-off = impossible. Already two of three preferred short-yardage plays are completely off the table because the formation makes them impossible. Fourth and inches, would you still want this offense to be in the shotgun? When the QB can fall forward for the first down?
Well.maybe not murray

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it would have been idiotic, because I think we set up horribly for short-yardage situations (this stems from one 3rd and short in the 2nd half--I didn't get to watch much of the game). Shotgun on 3rd and short is just moronic. I'm happy for the most part with KK's progressing, and much happier with KM's development right now, but there's just a lot more work this offense has to do before it becomes good.
FWIW, we are currently 100% on 4th downs...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We’ve played 6 games and have only lost 3... I’d say that is serious and dramatic improvement over last year... (those words make me want to barf though...)

Kingsbury has already shown a willingness to adapt. Going with more TE formations has been a surprising development - at least for me.
There is still something about his metro-sexual, too cool for school attitude that bothers me... but, I’ll accept it and then some if he proves to be our guy!

Through a mere 6 games, Murray is incredibly impressive. Doesn’t mean much in terms of the long term as we’ve seen first-year studs fizzle in year two. But you can’t help but see potential and mad-skills dripping off the kid. He’s nails.

I personally think Keim and Joseph should be on the goat list, at least until this defense can begin to play like a credible, viable defense. It’s laughable that after all these years, we still can’t find guys who can cover a TE, and coaches who can figure it out! Our pass defense is pathetic... Matty Ice was having a blast playing in a school playground against a bunch of pick-up scrubs.

Murphy shows promise and I think there enough there to get excited about. But he too disappeared in the 2nd half.

Say whatever you want to say about David Johnson... but he’s have a very, very good season thus far and the combo of he and Chase Edmonds is an incredible development for this offense! It’s not about one over the other. The magic is created by having BOTH of them available all game long!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Isabella’s presence is still impacted by those motions alone.

But yea, hopefully he makes a big play sooner rather than later.
The problem with throwing to Isabella is that’s he’s not been the primary target. At this point that’s 90% of Murray’s throws.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What quote?
Arizona's Murray looked like a seasoned veteran in throwing for 340 yards and three touchdowns without getting sacked -- and he had a game-sealing 5-yard run late. "I think we're trying," defensive end Vic Beasley Jr. said of getting sacks. "That joker [Murray] is just as fast as lightning. You've got to give him respect when it's due."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jinkxes absolutely exist. I remember this game clear as day in the 1985 LCS during this famous at-bat. NBC showed this graphic with the Wizard down 0-2 just before the pitch from Tom Niedenfuer:

Then:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ok that is just bizarre. For some reason yesterday on an email thread with friends someone asked what was the name of those 2 blond sisters in the 80's who were all over tv and movies. The answer was the Landers sisters and one of them is married to.... Tom Niedenfuer! I swear i haven't thought about any of that in at least 30 years. When I googled it the first thing that comes up about her husband is the Ozzie Smith homer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same. Kliff is setting up defenses to ignore Isabella. The plan is to go boom for a long throw. Hope Isabella is ready when that time comes.

Sent from my 6060S using Tapatalk

Sort of like the year we set up all year the fake and then at a critical moment Warner threw to the TE(forget his name) for a crucial first down to allow us to run out the clock in a game.

I'd love to see us hit a big play to Isabella and sure there's an element of not the primary guy as Harry said although I disagree with the 90% comment I've seen plenty of plays where the guy isn't open and Kyler moves around finds room and then hits someone else.

It just seems on the plays wehre Isabella is in he's either running a fly pattern, or the end around.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what I see from Jonathon Bullard...seems like a solid player.

Side note - I can't remember being so confident in a Cardinal offense that we would drive/score at the end of a game. ATL missed the XP but I don't think it mattered...we would have moved the ball down the field and kicked a FG to win anyway.
Funny but after the falcons scored and I assumed tie the game I said out loud Atlanta left too much time on the clock. I felt we would move down the field and get a shot at a game winning FG. Haven’t felt that confidence in a while.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes, Murray. Falling forward has less to do about being big than it has to do about following the push of the line and sticking your nose in a crack of space. Heck, his smaller size may help in that respect.
We have an undersized C and an undersized QB...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Arizona's Murray looked like a seasoned veteran in throwing for 340 yards and three touchdowns without getting sacked -- and he had a game-sealing 5-yard run late. "I think we're trying," defensive end Vic Beasley Jr. said of getting sacks. "That joker [Murray] is just as fast as lightning. You've got to give him respect when it's due."
Vic Beasley is gonna be a free agent...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vic Beasley is gonna be a free agent...
He’s not good. I watch some Atlanta games & know a lot of Falcon fans & they chew on the guy every week.

You’re going to bring up that 15 sack season in 2016 so let me just save the time

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We’ve played 6 games and have only lost 3... I’d say that is serious and dramatic improvement over last year... (those words make me want to barf though...)

Kingsbury has already shown a willingness to adapt. Going with more TE formations has been a surprising development - at least for me.
There is still something about his metro-sexual, too cool for school attitude that bothers me... but, I’ll accept it and then some if he proves to be our guy!

Through a mere 6 games, Murray is incredibly impressive. Doesn’t mean much in terms of the long term as we’ve seen first-year studs fizzle in year two. But you can’t help but see potential and mad-skills dripping off the kid. He’s nails.

I personally think Keim and Joseph should be on the goat list, at least until this defense can begin to play like a credible, viable defense. It’s laughable that after all these years, we still can’t find guys who can cover a TE, and coaches who can figure it out! Our pass defense is pathetic... Matty Ice was having a blast playing in a school playground against a bunch of pick-up scrubs.

Murphy shows promise and I think there enough there to get excited about. But he too disappeared in the 2nd half.

Say whatever you want to say about David Johnson... but he’s have a very, very good season thus far and the combo of he and Chase Edmonds is an incredible development for this offense! It’s not about one over the other. The magic is created by having BOTH of them available all game long!

Most of the league struggles to find guys that can match up against TEs and teams have started putting a premium on versatile guys that can both cover lesser receivers and TEs.

Tony Jefferson was (is?) nails at defending TEs. When he was in Arizona, the Cardinals were among the best at defending TEs. The Cardinals need to find a guy who can consistently limit TE production.

Having Peterson back is going to help a lot since the young safeties won't have to worry about his guy as much. Joseph said in the offseason that he wanted to play a lot of man, and that concept was scrapped once Peterson was suspended and Alford went down. The good news is that the CBs have largely played significantly better than most of us anticipated. Even Jones who was released and sent to the practice squad played reasonably well. Murphy got picked on a bit in the Falcons game, but he still won his share of battles, especially that nice break up on Julio. I'm excited about what Murphy is going to do going forward. He looks like he will be a good player for a long time.

What the Falcons did was to use route combinations that forced him out in space and he had to run to the receiver. Very difficult to defend, and he at least limited the damage. Bad cornerbacks tend to miss tackles in those situations and he is a good enough tackler, that he at least didn't give up big plays.

I don't see a huge fall off for Murray. He doesn't have a massive ego, and he doesn't seem to be the type of guy that will stop working. Even the size thing doesn't seem to bother him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He’s not good. I watch some Atlanta games & know a lot of Falcon fans & they chew on the guy every week.

You’re going to bring up that 15 sack season in 2016 so let me just save the time
I just like the idea of having an edge speed rush in the rotation. Nobody is giving this guy a huge deal, but if I can get him off the edge in nickel rush situations, I am game. I would much rather have him than Brooks Reed. It is like the Patriots signing Shilique Calhoun. Highly touted dude who struggled to figure it out as a starter. However, add him as a rotational guy to do one or two things and he can stick.

Give me Markus Golden and Vic Beasley as FA signings and OLB becomes less of a need.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'd only take him at a medium sized contract. He hasn't exactly lit the world on fire, but he might benefit from playing opposite Jones.
Yeah, I don't think it would take much and he would add speed which we currently lack. I am not signing him to be a 80% snap player, but 55% of snaps with his speed on the field would give us a different way to attack offenses.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I would also point out that he is another guy who is not being used like he was in college where he has success.

i'm not saying he isn't a bust as a first rounder, but he could be a steal FA signing if he only costs you like 5 or 6 mil which is the going rate for Kareem Martin and Tahir Whitehead.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of like the year we set up all year the fake and then at a critical moment Warner threw to the TE(forget his name) for a crucial first down to allow us to run out the clock in a game.

Warner threw for a 2 point conversion in one of the playoff games to a tight end... Ben Patrick, Leonard Pope???... maybe against Atlanta. I just remember the play, not the game or who to.. lol