Is Jaylen Hurts' success concerning?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is like the Tedford arguments of old... is Riley just that good at this? Baker is getting a lot of his production thanks to how insanely good Odell is.

Not saying our guy isn’t good, and it’s not like he didn’t come into college football wildly heralded along with Hurts, but these guys are just running roughshod in Riley’s scheme when they all had some degree of struggle and/or replacement elsewhere.

I’ve been really surprised by Hurts this year. He was always a great athlete but seemed like a stiff passer to me. You have to give a lot of credit to Riley but maybe he was held back a bit by some conservative coaching at Bama. Tua clearly has more freedom than Hurts did.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I’ve been really surprised by Hurts this year. He was always a great athlete but seemed like a stiff passer to me. You have to give a lot of credit to Riley but maybe he was held back a bit by some conservative coaching at Bama. Tua clearly has more freedom than Hurts did.

In all his game at Alabama he had 1 300 yard plus game I believe he has three already this season. It’s the Oklahoma effect it makes guys who were thought of a mediocre QBs to heisman winners. Hurts may not have been drafted if he stayed at bama now he is being talked about as a late 1st rounders. It’s insane what that offense can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saban is not a developer of future NFL QBs. Hurts is not a 1st round QB unless some d a GM brain farts.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hurts is a talented QB, or he wouldn't have been at Alabama to begin with. He showed the country what a high character person he was last year. I hope he continues to play well & sets himself up for a great NFL career. The NFL can't have enough players like him. Kudos to Jalen!!!

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lol Jeff Tedford seriously.... what Tedford you want Tampa OC Jeff or CFL Jeff...Now Cal Jeff was good i think 10-3 was his best season? I personally think he was overrated meh

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Lol Jeff Tedford seriously.... what Tedford you want Tampa OC Jeff or CFL Jeff...Now Cal Jeff was good i think 10-3 was his best season? I personally think he was overrated meh
Tedford had a pretty decent history of developing college QBs into stat machines that didn't succeed in the NFL, but tended to get overdrafted. It had a lot to do with Aaron Rodgers plummeting into the 20s when he was drafted.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummm...... SEC , on the whole plays defense, while the Big 12 can't even spell it. I temper my superlatives when rating big 12 qbs. Mahomes was the only freak.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We saw this Jalen Hurts when he saved the day in the SEC Championship win against Georgia.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Hurts is starting to get some comparisons to Lamar Jackson.

Here are his stats through four games:

66/85 (78%) for 1,295 yards. 12 TDs 1 Int His QB rating is 250

47 rushes for 443 yards. (9.42 per attempt).

Somehow through four games he's better statistically than either Mayfield or Murray.

After today's game against Tech, he went to the weight room and worked out. #starving

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I am watching Dorian Thompson-Robinson in the UA-UCLA game. He looks so much like Kyler Murray that it’s frightening. Right now, the Cardinals defense is the main concern, but I am more concerned that this type of Quarterback is not going to translate to the NFL. Linebackers and safeties are just too fast

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am watching Dorian Thompson-Robinson in the UA-UCLA game. He looks so much like Kyler Murray that it’s frightening. Right now, the Cardinals defense is the main concern, but I am more concerned that this type of Quarterback is not going to translate to the NFL. Linebackers and safeties are just too fast
What is “this type of quarterback”?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
What is “this type of quarterback”?

“Air Raid” System QB, like the Florida QBs back in the day they were all stat beasts and heisman winners but none panned out in the NFL. Same could be said about the Nebraska QBs in the 90s as well. There’s lots of very successful QBs or systems that just didn’t work in the NFL.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
“Air Raid” System QB, like the Florida QBs back in the day they were all stat beasts and heisman winners but none panned out in the NFL. Same could be said about the Nebraska QBs in the 90s as well. There’s lots of very successful QBs or systems that just didn’t work in the NFL.

UCLA doesn’t run the “Air-Raid”.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is like the Tedford arguments of old... is Riley just that good at this? Baker is getting a lot of his production thanks to how insanely good Odell is.

Not saying our guy isn’t good, and it’s not like he didn’t come into college football wildly heralded along with Hurts, but these guys are just running roughshod in Riley’s scheme when they all had some degree of struggle and/or replacement elsewhere.

Tedford had a pretty decent history of developing college QBs into stat machines that didn't succeed in the NFL, but tended to get overdrafted. It had a lot to do with Aaron Rodgers plummeting into the 20s when he was drafted.
1. Lincoln Riley is just a flat out better play caller than Kliff and we're seeing what damage he can do with QB who looks to run.
2. Jalen Hurts actually improved a year ago at Bama. Its just that Tua was a one of kind QB.
3. Jalen is proving just how much Kyler left yards on the field. He didn't run as much at OU and went down easily to avoid big hits. Jalen isn't worried about the hits so its allowed for bigger plays.

I don't think Jalen is nearly as refined as a passer as Kyler. He seems to always roll to his right when his 1st or 2nd read isn't open. However, he's improved a lot.

If there is a knock on Kyler in regards to Hurts its that what a taller/willing runner can do in that offense. Obviously being the #1 running threat keep the defense on its heels and leaves guys open. The major difference is Jalen being taller means that they're using the middle of the field more than when they had Kyler. Again Kyler could throw darts, but because of height issues they felt the safer option was to throw to outside. Jalen's vision really opens up the offense.

One is considered one of the greatest HS QBs ever. The other played WR until his Sr. year of HS. They're not comparable at all.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

One is considered one of the greatest HS QBs ever. The other played WR until his Sr. year of HS. They're not comparable at all.

Mitch Mustaine was the greatest High School Prospect of the decade coming out of high school. Not that long ago. But this is on Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim. I hope that Kyler Murray proves us wrong. But I am not counting on it

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Mitch Mustaine was the greatest High School Prospect of the decade coming out of high school. Not that long ago. But this is on Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim. I hope that Kyler Murray proves us wrong. But I am not counting on it
You're comparing two players that all they have in common is that they both have running ability. There is no comparison as far as their ability as a passer.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Why concern myself with Hurts, when we already have our franchise QB... unless, I have some kind of strange Murray catharsis, which prompts me to keep posting about him in less and less doubt increments for my own sanity as a fan who was wrong about him :)

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its fine to have doubts on Kyler. However, using a DTR reference is not it chief.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Not to mention, seems like it is working just fine for Mahomes and Mayfield.

Baker has looked real bad this year. Mahomes is the exception. He is a once in a generation style QB and he has a great offensive coach in Reid.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. Lincoln Riley is just a flat out better play caller than Kliff and we're seeing what damage he can do with QB who looks to run.
2. Jalen Hurts actually improved a year ago at Bama. Its just that Tua was a one of kind QB.
3. Jalen is proving just how much Kyler left yards on the field. He didn't run as much at OU and went down easily to avoid big hits. Jalen isn't worried about the hits so its allowed for bigger plays.

I don't think Jalen is nearly as refined as a passer as Kyler. He seems to always roll to his right when his 1st or 2nd read isn't open. However, he's improved a lot.

If there is a knock on Kyler in regards to Hurts its that what a taller/willing runner can do in that offense. Obviously being the #1 running threat keep the defense on its heels and leaves guys open. The major difference is Jalen being taller means that they're using the middle of the field more than when they had Kyler. Again Kyler could throw darts, but because of height issues they felt the safer option was to throw to outside. Jalen's vision really opens up the offense.

Jalen will get Hurt if he decides to run against NFL defenders.