Franchise took a big step back today

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope.

I expect better that 5 drives, 15 plays, -12 yards, 3 punts, and 2 ints.

That is not an unrealistic expectation.

Players thrust into bad situations are expected to do better than that.

QBs behind bad offensive lines are expected to do better than that.

Backups get cut for that.

Starters get replaced for that.

Kyler Murray crumpled under the pressure of the moment and highlighted pre-draft concerns that many had regarding him. He had another chance to step up and he failed...again.

[emoji23]. So dramatic. He is a rookie. Get over it and let’s see how he develops over the course of the season. If I see progress that's all I care about. If we get some wins along the way that's great.

This is coming from someone who wasn't high on him leading up to the draft.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Michael Bidwill has to start thinking, not reacting.

I know bad management when I see it.

BA was too loose with the team, so Bidwill gets an authority figure in Wilks.

Wilks could not move the ball and was boring.

Bring in the new hype offense.

Sometimes its the boring guy who just gets the job done who is the best guy.

This organization is staring into some pretty dark times if this doesn't turn around

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy
What does this even mean

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Swearinger thing my concern is that Thompson isn't playing more makes me wonder how lost he is? he was the one who whiffed badly on the long TD run by CMC, I don't know if DJ was in on that play too but Thompson turned a 8 yard run into a 70 + TD run by missing that tackle.

I agree DJ has been very bad, I'm just concerned that Thompson not playing much means he's looked even worse.

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This was a first “bad loss” of the year and I’m sure there are at least 5-6 more of these games coming. SK has set this franchise back with terrible acquisitions and drafting . The longer he is in charge the longer a total rebuild will be. There was no excuse to get crucified by a back up QB that was actually cut from a practice squad last season. A team that couldn’t move the ball against a pretty pedestrian Bucs team. Kyle Allen is not good, yet he absolutely eviscerated this defense . We were out coached , and out played . The talent gap between us and the Panthers was also astounding.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TTU wasn't slaying "giants" but they were putting up a crapload of points, the problem with that was, without having a complimentary running attack that allows you to slow the pace of the game down and control the clock, you end up having to play a lot of defensive snaps as well...and the overall talent gap on that side of the ball becomes extremely vunerable when playing Texas or OU, OSU, etc...and they put the same crapload of points ... and more.

Washington State is a perfect example of that, UCLA is a train wreck and despite being up by 30 some odd points (cannot remember the exact score) UCLA was able to storm back after a few turnovers becausethe Air Raid does NOT have a grinding, ball control component built in.

I think we are saying the same thing Bojack.

49-17 but that was an incredible outlier game. There was a fumble where first the runner was stopped should have been blown dead but they didn't stop it, then his elbow was down but after replay, they still kept it as a fumble. There was another fumble where the ball should have gone out of bounds but took a crazy bounce and stayed in UCLA got it. There was a fumble by the UCLA QB on a run where he flipped over and landed on the ball and recovered it. Amazing comeback but there was 3-4 fluke plays that stacked up.

yes the lack of ball control hurt WSU but this was just bizarre every thing that UCLA needed, happened.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
When was the last time a rookie qb, even number one overall, was told to start day one and won games like a 10 year vet and took his team to the playoffs as a rookie, Ill wait.
Not sure I haven't been beaten to this, but... Andrew Luck. Cam Newton. Dak Prescott. Russell Wilson. Even RG3.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure I haven't been beaten to this, but... Andrew Luck. Cam Newton. Dak Prescott. Russell Wilson. Even RG3.
lol wot

Cam didn’t even make the playoffs his first 2 years.

Russ had all time defenses.

What RG3 & Luck did was truly impressive though.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Stay the course, KM looked like the rookie that he is in the 4th quarter. Really after that long panther run - the entire team collapsed. Once Km was intercepted he lost all confidence, after the 2nd one he could not even let the ball go. Be nice to get a decent run without a holding penalty, but you kind of have emphasize practice and execute a run game as a primary weapon, rather than after thought to do that.

I think our defense has problems that 2 CRS cant change - all the secrets in the preseason, needed to be executed in the preseason, it’s easy to win at chess playing with yourself - try it sometime.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol wot

Totally impressive but recall, Shanahan was the coach for RG3 and Arians effectively for Luck. 2 extremely experienced NFL coaches, against a guy who's a rookie HC in Kliff.

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Stay the course, KM looked like the rookie that he is in the 4th quarter. Really after that long panther run - the entire team collapsed. Once Km was intercepted he lost all confidence, after the 2nd one he could not even let the ball go. Be nice to get a decent run without a holding penalty, but you kind of have emphasize practice and execute a run game as a primary weapon, rather than after thought to do that.

I think our defense has problems that 2 CRS cant change - all the secrets in the preseason, needed to be executed in the preseason, it’s easy to win at chess playing with yourself - try it sometime.

We need KM to work out, securing our QBOTF is extremely important for this franchise, so I am rooting for him. It just pains me when we have all these other young QB's who look statistically better

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Losing by two touchdowns is a step back? Yeah okay ;).

I get that the defense looked downright awful. (personally I think VJ should be on the hot seat cause of lack of TE coverage).

But mind you we are only 3 weeks into the season so there's a chance of improvement. We knew this coming into the season that there will be growing pains with a rookie QB and HC.
Unfortunately , right now there's more pain than growing lol

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MB has to be looking at himself as well. Keim should without a doubt be gone before next year but i think Kingsbury/Kyler was more of a Bidwill thing.
so funny how many people say this or the opposite.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
We need KM to work out, securing our QBOTF is extremely important for this franchise, so I am rooting for him. It just pains me when we have all these other young QB's who look statistically better

Well they ain’t asked to throw 85% of the time, nor are their offensive lines asked to pass protect for a one dimensional offense, hence disrespecting opposing NFL defenses. We want a lot of plays - but opponents have more plays than we do- tiring our defense and then ripping it to shreds. Seems our special teams collapsed too.

Can KM be solid in a conventional offense, probably from what I’ve seen,

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

See the other "stat line" thread. There have been a ton of rookies who struggled their first years. What if all those teams gave up on them and went all dramatic like some posters on this board?

He should be criticized when he doesn't play well but the sky if falling stuff from some posters??

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
lol wot

My bad, for some reason I had him in the playoffs his rookie year, but the fact of the matter is that he clearly wasn't the problem that year, and if we were losing games but getting his kind of performance, we'd feel different right now.

Edit: And regardless of Dak & Russ's improved talent across the roster, you can't take away that they did what they did.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My bad, for some reason I had him in the playoffs his rookie year, but the fact of the matter is that he clearly wasn't the problem that year, and if we were losing games but getting his kind of performance, we'd feel different right now.

Edit: And regardless of Dak & Russ's improved talent across the roster, you can't take away that they did what they did.
I mean, sure, but after his debut against us, Cam struggled some as well. He wasn’t the big problem, but he wasn’t avoidable from it. Expected from a rookie, though.

I can say they had significantly enhanced rosters which made their margin for error a lot higher than RG3 & Luck’s. Good for them on not bringing them down as where RG3 & Luck has elevate the hell out of their rosters. You know it. I know it. We both know it.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Suggs was non existent today
A two game trend now. Can't have it. He's a part time rotational guy that starts.

Whole D pretty much blew chunks today, outside of Chandler. Props to the Panther coaching staff, Allen and McCaffrey, who looked like we wished DJ still looked something like.

We got outmanned, outcoached and outpersonelled a cross the board today by a team missing FOUR starters.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
See the other "stat line" thread. There have been a ton of rookies who struggled their first years. What if all those teams gave up on them and went all dramatic like some posters on this board?

He should be criticized when he doesn't play well but the sky if falling stuff from some posters??
It's not your job to research, but your QB list only had two guys who are not retired from the NFL. I'm not saying your wrong, but I am saying that the group of individuals you reference played in a different era of football.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I haven't had a chance to look at it, and I didn't get to watch all of the game because I was traveling, so I'm holding my tongue here for the most part, but the fact of the matter is that I think posters have a really good reason to be frustrated.

Kyler Murray is the biggest symbol of our offseason and rebuild. We took him at the cost of a lot of draft capital, skipped some blue chip defensive players, and a lot of wasted cap.

And then we spent the offseason in an ASFN Civil War over it.

There's a very real and sensible fear that through three games, we're not really clicking. This franchise doesn't have a lot of flexibility at the moment - we set down a path we can't easily change, and letting go of Keim means we end up hunting for a GM who can't choose his coach or QB. That's a recipe for disaster.

I'm willing to be patient, but the bleak scenario here is that I'm looking at a team I don't think is going to have a chance to be competitive again until I'm in the back half of my 30s.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to look at it, and I didn't get to watch all of the game because I was traveling, so I'm holding my tongue here for the most part, but the fact of the matter is that I think posters have a really good reason to be frustrated.

Kyler Murray is the biggest symbol of our offseason and rebuild. We took him at the cost of a lot of draft capital, skipped some blue chip defensive players, and a lot of wasted cap.

And then we spent the offseason in an ASFN Civil War over it.

There's a very real and sensible fear that through three games, we're not really clicking. This franchise doesn't have a lot of flexibility at the moment - we set down a path we can't easily change, and letting go of Keim means we end up hunting for a GM who can't choose his coach or QB. That's a recipe for disaster.

I'm willing to be patient, but the bleak scenario here is that I'm looking at a team I don't think is going to have a chance to be competitive again until I'm in the back half of my 30s.
That was the risk they took.

Hockey starts in 10 days.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kingsbury moves the needle......at least that what was being sold no less than 45 days ago.

Patriots
Chiefs
Rams
49ers
Cowboys
Packers
Bills

All 3-0. Probably outside of the Bills, none of those teams or their coaching personnel are “boring”.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort