Kyler Murray stats vs Ravens

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Again I don't want him to run like RG3 or Colin K he'll get hurt like they did. I do want him to take the easy ones. I have no problem with him ducking down on sacks(Brady does it) or sliding on the times he has run, I WANT that. I just think there are times in the first 2 games where we punted, when we could have moved the chains had he took off and got the first down.

I don't expect him to be like Lamar and frankly he's a much better thrower than Lamar is(although that late throw to Brown from Lamar was money), but he does need to occasionally pull the ball out from the RB and run it or that play ceases to fool anybody.

I'm thrilled with him overall so far, I just think one area he can improve is deciding when to run.

I agree with this. I have to admit, I like how K1 is protecting himself early in the season.

Knowing that this is a rebuilding year, the number one goal is to get better week to week, but goal 1A has to be to stay healthy, and avoid the kind of hits that make QBs gun shy.

Another thing I'm liking about Murray is his field vision. It's a continuation of his play at OU, but I'm glad that, at the NFL level, he's identifying open receivers, and keeping his eyes downfield, even if the face of a pretty nasty rush, like he saw today.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
First of all I am a Cards fan and have been for over 50 years so I want the Cards to win.You know my opinion of the Murray draft pick but he is the QB and it is what it is.A work in progress but shows skills.Also KM is being put in a much better situation to be successful than Rosen was in last season.Better supporting cast and coaching.Makes a difference having NFL quality players instead of UDFAs and street FAs to work with.

Agree that K1's offensive coaching, WRs, and offense line are all better than what Bradford or Rosen had. That cannot be argued.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Something is definitely going on Bucky.

But hey, it's just game two. Let's see if K2 can figure out a way to Murray out on to the edge with out two defenders breathing down his neck.

I really liked the designed runs for L Jackson today. He killed us. 130 yards rushing!
I think as he gets stronger/bigger, he wont be afraid to run. I think the coaches are limiting his ability to just dart out instead of design plays because they know one hit could be devastating.
Again I don't want him to run like RG3 or Colin K he'll get hurt like they did. I do want him to take the easy ones. I have no problem with him ducking down on sacks(Brady does it) or sliding on the times he has run, I WANT that. I just think there are times in the first 2 games where we punted, when we could have moved the chains had he took off and got the first down.

I don't expect him to be like Lamar and frankly he's a much better thrower than Lamar is(although that late throw to Brown from Lamar was money), but he does need to occasionally pull the ball out from the RB and run it or that play ceases to fool anybody.

I'm thrilled with him overall so far, I just think one area he can improve is deciding when to run.
I totally agree with all of these takes.

Hopefully at some point it can be smartly done by Kyler & implemented somewhat into the game plan. It’s such threat & changes defenses drastically. It’s an added weapon

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Something is definitely going on Bucky.

But hey, it's just game two. Let's see if K2 can figure out a way to Murray out on to the edge with out two defenders breathing down his neck.

I really liked the designed runs for L Jackson today. He killed us. 130 yards rushing!
The thing is if DJ/the line/Kliff commit to the running the game it will open up opportunities for Kyler to gash teams even if he's not wanting to run much.

Because sometimes Kyler is going to keep the ball with a wide open running lane. The lack of committment to the run game plays a part in Kyler not running.

Kyler having a game or two of 10 carries would open up the offense and have defenses less willing to send the house.

The play action would be deadly.

Its exactly why Carr ran right to Murray on that sack. He knew the Cards weren't running the ball on the fake.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree with this. I have to admit, I like how K1 is protecting himself early in the season.

Knowing that this is a rebuilding year, the number one goal is to get better week to week, but goal 1A has to be to stay healthy, and avoid the kind of hits that make QBs gun shy.

Another thing I'm liking about Murray is his field vision. It's a continuation of his play at OU, but I'm glad that, at the NFL level, he's identifying open receivers, and keeping his eyes downfield, even if the face of a pretty nasty rush, like he saw today.
This is just the 2nd year that Kyler's been "the guy"

I really do think if Baker had left a year early (or didn't get that waiver granting him another year) that Kyler would have been prepared to take OU to the NC game (wouldn't have faced Bama until NC). And he'd probably be more prepared right now for the league.

His last year it wasn't 100% he was going to the NFL. In fact he had a major baseball contract so he was trying to protect himself as much as possible. He's gotta get use to big league hits.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
This is just the 2nd year that Kyler's been "the guy"

I really do think if Baker had left a year early (or didn't get that waiver granting him another year) that Kyler would have been prepared to take OU to the NC game (wouldn't have faced Bama until NC). And he'd probably be more prepared right now for the league.

His last year it wasn't 100% he was going to the NFL. In fact he had a major baseball contract so he was trying to protect himself as much as possible. He's gotta get use to big league hits.

haha, right. His past association with MLB is a matter of record for this board. You mentioned that you've been lurking for a while. Did you follow the truly epic debate that occurred here leading up to the draft?

I mean, it was really one for the ages. Guys just dealing on each other.

Murray was often cast as Satan himself, ready to feast on the flesh of the children of Scottsdale.

Or, purported to be a savior of biblical proportions, with the faithful vowing that, not only would he win multiple superbowls, but would also heal the afflicted in Mesa.

If the two groups pro and con, had been put in a room together, it would have come to blows in about two minutes. It so crazy.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think I’m most surprised that he doesn’t pull it down and run more often. It might be a good thing that he doesn’t rely on his legs too much. But establishing that as a threat, a REAL threat, would create more offense imo.

That said, even when he does run he doesn’t look nearly as fast as I expected. He’s quick. Has a good ability to move around to gain throwing angles. But I haven’t seen the fast that allowed him to rush for 1,000 yards last year.

Kid is still fast and though he might not do it often, I think if he keeps playing like this some team is going to get lax in expecting it and he will have maybe one great game where he does do it a lot
Agreed. He still seems a bit skittish in certain situations. But that of course is a product of growing up in the NFL...and will take a little more time. Imo

I will say this, amid the talk of why he is not running, even though in his youth I somewhat agree. Yes, getting a better line will make any QB better but I think his athletic ability is skewing our notions of Murray. You give him a line and he can carve up a defense from the pocket and nobody is going to care if he runs or not

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
haha, right. His past association with MLB is a matter of record for this board. You mentioned that you've been lurking for a while. Did you follow the truly epic debate that occurred here leading up to the draft?

I mean, it was really one for the ages. Guys just dealing on each other.

Murray was often cast as Satan himself, ready to feast on the flesh of the children of Scottsdale.

Or, purported to be a savior of biblical proportions, with the faithful vowing that, not only would he win multiple superbowls, but would also heal the afflicted in Mesa.

If the two groups pro and con, had been put in a room together, it would have come to blows in about two minutes. It so crazy.
lol yea I remember.

I get it though. There's great risk and just drafted Rosen who needed a legit chance. Stil a bit overboard, lol. I think people underestimated just how good Kyler is at throwing the ball.

I really think Kliff needs to study more OU film or call Lincoln Riley up about using Kyler in redzone or as a running threat.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There is a difference between a running qb and a scrambling qb.

I dont want murray to be a running qb...just scramble to get away from pressure and get a better look downfield.
Vick was a runner... Jackson is a runner to a large extent...
Wilson and steve young are scramblers... They run occasionally but most often they just get away from pressure long enough to make the pass.

Murray is too damned small to be a running qb

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OT, but this was brought to my attention a while ago. Kinda corny...but I have a friend who calls him either HoobaMurray or MurrayStank. Says he got inspired by this tweet.

Reference being

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is a difference between a running qb and a scrambling qb.

I dont want murray to be a running qb...just scramble to get away from pressure and get a better look downfield.
Vick was a runner... Jackson is a runner to a large extent...
Wilson and steve young are scramblers... They run occasionally but most often they just get away from pressure long enough to make the pass.

Murray is too damned small to be a running qb
I think to be fair he hasn't been much of a scrambler either. Wilson was great at extending plays, spinning back a couple times to allowing wrs to get open, climbing up in the pocket to throw, etc etc.

I think Kyler needs to do a better job of extending plays outside of just rolling to his right and throwing it out of bounds.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think to be fair he hasn't been much of a scrambler either. Wilson was great at extending plays, spinning back a couple times to allowing wrs to get open, climbing up in the pocket to throw, etc etc.

I think Kyler needs to do a better job of extending plays outside of just rolling to his right and throwing it out of bounds.

He has yet to adjust to the speed of nfl defenders

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our offensive line looked offensive. He had zero time in this game

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
For me, it's not necessarily about him being "fragile." Exposing yourself to the run is a pretty big issue, and being hurt on a random rushing play at his height can be concerning behind our o-line.

Throwing first is important, but like's been said, I'd like the threat to be developed a little - but there's also a chance that defenses are working extra hard to contain that perceived threat already.

He sure can move the ball, which is great to see, but I am concerned about some of his throws. He had some long passes that felt like the receiver bailed him out on, but that's also part of the game. If we can scheme guys open, and he only ever has to throw to mostly open guys? Sign me up!

I dont know. I felt the same way about some of his throws initially, but then on replay, you see it was a calculated gamble where the receiver had the best chance to make the catch.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Our offensive line looked offensive. He had zero time in this game

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
We gave up 3 sacks to one of the best defenses in football when we threw the ball 40 times. One of those sacks was on miscommunication between Murray and the o line I think.

The line did ok. It could play better but Murray needs to help it out more. He seemed very hesitant to move up which I think led to a Judon sack. On the bomb to Larry(?) he took a hit just because he dropped so far back and didn't climb the pocket to make the throw. Hopefully he will get better about that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I dont know. I felt the same way about some of his throws initially, but then on replay, you see it was a calculated gamble where the receiver had the best chance to make the catch.
Those are vertical throws based upon what leverage the DB is playing. Essentially the idea is to get the DB chasing and with his back to the ball. Murray's job to throw it almost as a back shoulder fade or lead the WR high so the WR can make a vertical play on the ball. Those are where you can really see Murray's accuracy because placement is important.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Murray's stat line today

25/40 (62.5%) 349 Yards 0 TDs 0 Ints - did convert another 2 pt play

That's now 94 attempts without a pick. I thought he played a great game today. Took care of the ball, and kept his team within striking distance.
Well 40 passes with 8 rb runs - yes air red is installed - KM had 3 runs too - guess we’re going to see if one dimension can win a game in the nfl

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Couple of cool stats:

Kyler Murray has joined Cam Newton (2011) as the only players with 300+ pass yards in each of their first 2 career games in NFL history.

Kyler Murray is just the 2nd rookie QB to throw for 600+ passing yards in his first 2 career games in the Super Bowl era.

Aren't those basically the same stat?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well 40 passes with 8 rb runs - yes air red is installed - KM had 3 runs too - guess we’re going to see if one dimension can win a game in the nfl
Yeah, this is a crazy experiment. Hope it is rooted in logic and analytics.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk