Kyler Murray stats vs Ravens

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Couple of cool stats:

Kyler Murray has joined Cam Newton (2011) as the only players with 300+ pass yards in each of their first 2 career games in NFL history.

Kyler Murray is just the 2nd rookie QB to throw for 600+ passing yards in his first 2 career games in the Super Bowl era.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He had 349(?)yards today. Did he run? (I didn't watch the game). From what I'm reading, doesn't sound like he did?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wish you guys would make up your minds.
Run/don't run:billthecat:

He's too fragile to run and will get hurt. He needs to be a pocket passer. Now, you want him to run. :confused:
For me, it's not necessarily about him being "fragile." Exposing yourself to the run is a pretty big issue, and being hurt on a random rushing play at his height can be concerning behind our o-line.

Throwing first is important, but like's been said, I'd like the threat to be developed a little - but there's also a chance that defenses are working extra hard to contain that perceived threat already.

He sure can move the ball, which is great to see, but I am concerned about some of his throws. He had some long passes that felt like the receiver bailed him out on, but that's also part of the game. If we can scheme guys open, and he only ever has to throw to mostly open guys? Sign me up!

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He had 349(?)yards today. Did he run? (I didn't watch the game). From what I'm reading, doesn't sound like he did?
There were no designed runs today.

And Marsh had that second sack against Lamar.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
There were no designed runs today.

And Marsh had that second sack against Lamar.

They actually did call one run for Murray Vacard. It was the first play they tried to run on the 2nd half, 4th down conversion attempt. It was successful, Murray picked up the first down easily, but K2 had called a timeout right before the play. :)

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He didn't run today but threw for 349 yards, so, he is just a short qb.

And I think that being hurt on any random rushing play at "any" height can be concerning.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For me, it's not necessarily about him being "fragile." Exposing yourself to the run is a pretty big issue, and being hurt on a random rushing play at his height can be concerning behind our o-line.

Throwing first is important, but like's been said, I'd like the threat to be developed a little - but there's also a chance that defenses are working extra hard to contain that perceived threat already.

He sure can move the ball, which is great to see, but I am concerned about some of his throws. He had some long passes that felt like the receiver bailed him out on, but that's also part of the game. If we can scheme guys open, and he only ever has to throw to mostly open guys? Sign me up!
I thought he made a lot of throws where only the WR could catch it. I think he's been coached or maybe he's just afraid of throwing a pick in the redzone. Didn't give Fitz a shot. However, some of these throws were big time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyler looks like an NFL QB. Enough said.

I never imagined Kyler will look better than Rosen in just two games.

Where is my plate of crow? Well done. Pass that Sriracha with it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They actually did call one run for Murray Vacard. It was the first play they tried to run on the 2nd half, 4th down conversion attempt. It was successful, Murray picked up the first down easily, but K2 had called a timeout right before the play. :)
Oh yeah now I remember, when KK pulled a Bevell. I noticed Kyler did a juke move on that play that was nasty.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I thought he made a lot of throws where only the WR could catch it. I think he's been coached or maybe he's just afraid of throwing a pick in the redzone. Didn't give Fitz a shot. However, some of these throws were big time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
See, this is one that drove me crazy. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, and would benefit from another angle. But to me, that looks like a pick if the DB turns his head.

There was another one, I think to Keesean Johnson (maybe), where it was thrown up with a hope and a prayer for him to snag it out of the air in a one on one battle.

I throw that kind of a ball to Fitz, of course, but a 6th round rookie makes me question some decision making. But no picks, no real complaints. I like what I've seen for the most part.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it might take the fifth or sixth game till Kyler can turn the corner in the red zone, along with Kiff, on a consistent basis
Agreed. He still seems a bit skittish in certain situations. But that of course is a product of growing up in the NFL...and will take a little more time. Imo

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
See, this is one that drove me crazy. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, and would benefit from another angle. But to me, that looks like a pick if the DB turns his head.

There was another one, I think to Keesean Johnson (maybe), where it was thrown up with a hope and a prayer for him to snag it out of the air in a one on one battle.

I throw that kind of a ball to Fitz, of course, but a 6th round rookie makes me question some decision making. But no picks, no real complaints. I like what I've seen for the most part.

I get ya. I think it was great, but...

I do realize the Ravens were without 2 of their top corners. Jimmy Smith probably breaks that up Keesean Johnson play up.

I actually think his toughest test will be Carolina. Those guys play the ball pretty well.

I'm worried about Luke getting a read on Kyler's throws over the middle. He needs to make himself a threat running the football so they can put a spy on him. Otherwise there will be some tight window throws needed.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It is curious about the lack of rushing yards. He's always been a past first QB, and he's always looking downfield.

Still, I agree that to maximize his effectiveness, he needs to, like you said, put pressure on the defense with his legs.
I personally think either:
1) Kyler has been told to by Kliff to not run much or take hits

2) Kyler doesn’t want to run as much for fear of injuries

3) or Kylers dad has told him to limit his running.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I pick option 2 because Kyler has shown zero interest in getting touched let alone hit.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Something is definitely going on Bucky.

But hey, it's just game two. Let's see if K2 can figure out a way to Murray out on to the edge with out two defenders breathing down his neck.

I really liked the designed runs for L Jackson today. He killed us. 130 yards rushing!

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Running would add another tool to his toolbox and make him that much more of a headache.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I think as he gets stronger/bigger, he wont be afraid to run. I think the coaches are limiting his ability to just dart out instead of design plays because they know one hit could be devastating.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again I don't want him to run like RG3 or Colin K he'll get hurt like they did. I do want him to take the easy ones. I have no problem with him ducking down on sacks(Brady does it) or sliding on the times he has run, I WANT that. I just think there are times in the first 2 games where we punted, when we could have moved the chains had he took off and got the first down.

I don't expect him to be like Lamar and frankly he's a much better thrower than Lamar is(although that late throw to Brown from Lamar was money), but he does need to occasionally pull the ball out from the RB and run it or that play ceases to fool anybody.

I'm thrilled with him overall so far, I just think one area he can improve is deciding when to run.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Very gracious of you to post some accolades for young Kyler BW52, and agree that our red zone offense is a concern.

Let's see if that's something they can improve on next week.

First of all I am a Cards fan and have been for over 50 years so I want the Cards to win.You know my opinion of the Murray draft pick but he is the QB and it is what it is.A work in progress but shows skills.Also KM is being put in a much better situation to be successful than Rosen was in last season.Better supporting cast and coaching.Makes a difference having NFL quality players instead of UDFAs and street FAs to work with.