Kyler Murray stats vs Ravens

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
After week 6 we can start commenting on what is working and what isn't. So far, a hell of a lot of the offense is working. Our situational offense 3rd down and red zone has been bad. However, our 2pt conversion rate is 100% which makes me confident the 3rd down and red zone will get better. We looked better than the previous week which means we are making progress.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
So far, the answer is...no.
Well even a blind cardinal, gotta find a nut sometime - Jackson has 5 more carries than our entire team and much more yards too.

Folks Don’t blame the oline - I’m tired of hearing that load of crap, basically got their ears pinned back on the pas rush the whole game.
Don’t blame the defense - they are handicapped by this offense

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Our offensive line looked offensive. He had zero time in this game

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

I disagree to some extent. Our Oline isn't the best, but the play selection isn't doing it any favors either. You cannot line up with 0 and 10 personnel for a good portion of your pass plays ( 85% of plays are pass plays, yikes) and think your O line will look good. I'm pretty sure I saw a couple times in these games where we had 6 wide, where they moved DJ out wide also, which means one of the 6 was ineligible. Not sure if they were trying to do a Patriots style play or it was for a screen?

Theyr are using zero and 10 personnel so often that it makes getting to the QB easy and the advantage of KM run ability in this set has not been realized at the NFL level and he clearly doesn't want any contact whatsoever which reduces the advantage there also.

I haven't seen KK try to commit to running the ball yet.

I haven't seen KK try use 12 personnel creatively with some chips to try get KM some extra time and make them pay for the pressures.

Tape is out on Murray that if you pressure him he doesn't do well. Teams are blitzing and selling out on the pass with impunity because of KK not even having the illusion of a run threat.

I like that KK is going to be open to different ideas and creativity, but I don't buy that his college Air Raid as a core identity translates to the NFL. Yes, it can and has worked in circumstantial usage, which is what good teams do... Mix it up, keep the other team off balance, setup personnel mismatches. Do you think for one second if any of these coaches/OCs in the NFL who use what others call "Air Raid concepts" at times thought it was superior they wouldn't use it exclusively. Does anyone think that only KK and and a handful of others know how to run it?

We had 8 rushes this game, 1 of 6 plays was a run.

Last game is was closer to 1 of 4 plays was a run.

KK will learn his TT scheme doesn't translate perfectly to the NFL due to the parity in the talent and will need to adapt and find a balance and once that happens this team might be a force to reckon with.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah, this is a crazy experiment. Hope it is rooted in logic and analytics.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
I doubt it is. I think they just got away from the run and I suspect they will try to make it more of an emphasis next game. Not to say that they weren't planning on passing more than running, but I doubt they game-planned to run as little as they did.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I saw a couple times in these games where we had 6 wide, where they moved DJ out wide also, which means one of the 6 was ineligible. Not sure if they were trying to do a Patriots style play or it was for a screen?
Not sure how this could be possible. The team always has 5 OL and Kyler on the field which means they couldn't have more than 5 receivers to make 11 players. They may have had 4 wide and then 5 with DJ splitting out.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The first play of the game was a broken play and Murray had a nice scramble for like 8 yards.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Murray is too panicky inside the ten and has zero touch throwing what is supposed to be a fade route.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
After 2 games I truly believe Murray can be a top 10 QB, I don't think he is a generational talent changing the NFL or is "transcendent", I don't think he is so good he can make up for poor OL play (at least not as a rookie) but I do think he is a guy we can build around and win with. Aside from his batted balls in week 1 I haven't seen his height be a problem (he is seeing the whole field).

He's our QB time to give him what he needs to succeed both in terms of talent and playcalling.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Murray is too panicky inside the ten and has zero touch throwing what is supposed to be a fade route.
I wouldn't call it panicking at this point. The field just shrinks down in the redzone and it becomes much more dificult to execute. As they get their timing and chemistry more in sync I suspect they will operate better near the goal.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
yeah his passing on fade routes is crap, he would never have won the "trash can" drill that Palmer and crew did for fun.
To be fair those routes are completed at a very low percentage in the red-zone, something like 25%. It is just a really tough route to hit in a confined space.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a thought after two failures: Don't throw fades, the hardest throw-catch to complete, and start using our pass catching T-ends who can box out at the goaline.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Here's a thought after two failures: Don't throw fades, the hardest throw-catch to complete, and start using our pass catching T-ends who can box out at the goaline.
Whatever sets they use on 2pt conversions, use those too.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I doubt it is. I think they just got away from the run and I suspect they will try to make it more of an emphasis next game. Not to say that they weren't planning on passing more than running, but I doubt they game-planned to run as little as they did.
Roooki or not, a QB cannot throw 40 plus times a game to win every week and hope to remain healthy for 16 weeks.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well even a blind cardinal, gotta find a nut sometime - Jackson has 5 more carries than our entire team and much more yards too.

Folks Don’t blame the oline - I’m tired of hearing that load of crap, basically got their ears pinned back on the pas rush the whole game.
Don’t blame the defense - they are handicapped by this offense
Looking back we have had some nice runs WHEN we run. Some of those were negated by penalties. We CAN run the ball but to this point KK has been a little impatient to stick to it. Hopefully he will learn. In my opinion KK’s learning curve is a bit behind Kyler’s.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man that incompletion to Kirk at 2:58 in the 2Q would’ve been a TD had Justin Murray actually blocked his man a bit longer.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Nobody want to lose but we had the #1 pick last year for a reason.

New HC, new QB, no PP2, etc.

I am encouraged by the offense so far...expect it to get even better. Imagine if we had a talented Oline and another stud WR.

I am also encouraged by the defense. Its not the 85 bears but way better than last year and we actually make adjustments! Hicks and Murphy have been excellent additions. Lots to be hopeful for moving forward.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
The people that don't like Murray are going to continue to find reasons not to like him for some time. It's best just to understand that and move on

To be fair the people that worship Murray will always come up with excuses why it wasn`t Murrays fault.Two headed coin.I admit I didn`t and don`t like the pick.But that said it is what it is..he`s here for the next several years and I hope it works out.I have doubts but I hope it does work out.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair the people that worship Murray will always come up with excuses why it wasn`t Murrays fault.Two headed coin.I admit I didn`t and don`t like the pick.But that said it is what it is..he`s here for the next several years and I hope it works out.I have doubts but I hope it does work out.

It is completely a fair statement. It's 2019 and everyone would rather be right than objective. I am over arguing about it.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Murray's stat line today

25/40 (62.5%) 349 Yards 0 TDs 0 Ints - did convert another 2 pt play

That's now 94 attempts without a pick. I thought he played a great game today. Took care of the ball, and kept his team within striking distance.
Bolded is the part that concerns me...350 yards and no TDs is tough to do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard