Suns: NBA Summer League 2019

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A stacked HS team might. Their perimeter play is always awful, and while they have skilled bigs most of them lack the physicality to bang with most pro/semi-pro bigs from other regions. They are a middle of the pack national team in by far the weakest region in the World Cup, and were only ever competitive with decent teams when they were running Yao into the ground.

My understanding is a lot of their problem is their method of player development. Essentially just taking the tallest kids and training them at a young age in all around skills and not refining their abilities to specific positions or roles. But I'm sure other countries scratch their heads about how the US develops soccer players.

Don't they play a more team oriented style, to a fault? I remember Yao being upset with how they wouldn't just give him the ball and let him do his thing. There was also talk about them not sending anymore players to the NBA because of how Yao turned into a "diva". They didn't like how he became a star on his own and more self sufficient.

I haven't heard anything about the Chinese teams since Yao retired but I do remember hearing about the building tension between Yao and the team, or the coaches rather.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ex Sun George King played for Utah's Summer team and did well.

I believe we rescinded his rights or something. I don't believe a player can play for another team's SL team unless no one owns their rights any longer. It doesn't surprise me that we decided to move on but I think we should have had him on our SL team. Why not get one last look at him? He's got enough talent that he was going to play for someone in SL, why not let us have right of first refusal, kind of. If he stinks, no big deal, if he's good then at least we still have him under team control.

I thought he was similar to James Jones as a player, perhaps a stronger version of him Jones. He had a good outside shot, some size and skill. He did well on the G-League team last year also. Eh, I doubt we'll regret losing him but now that we don't have a glut of forwards we let one we had go.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wasn’t a Clarke guy but he looks like he’ll give Memphis quality minutes right away.
Hustle guys can have good careers in NBA. Clarke is rim runner/lob threat and could be a good weak side defender. Here’s to hope that Johnson’s shooting makes an immediate impact.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm wishing they would have second session of summer league, or even move the July league up a bit. There's just so much dead space right now, almost unbearable.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Big 3 has their Championship this next Saturday I believe. Joe Johnson is owning that league. His team is in the finals. It has helped. That and I like the Mercury.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wishing they would have second session of summer league, or even move the July league up a bit. There's just so much dead space right now, almost unbearable.

Summer League should be in August before preseason. It would help the guys looking to make rosters also. They could get in shape for SL and then they're on to preseason a week or two later. Everyone is more familiar with one another and focused on the season ahead.

Free agency and the draft is enough to occupy everyone in late June and early July.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Summer League should be in August before preseason. It would help the guys looking to make rosters also. They could get in shape for SL and then they're on to preseason a week or two later. Everyone is more familiar with one another and focused on the season ahead.

Free agency and the draft is enough to occupy everyone in late June and early July.

the NBA just blows it wad too early then falls to sleep for a few months soon after

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they held off on Summer League any later in the year then they'd lose a ton of their prospects to foreign leagues, hell, I wouldn't be surprised if some 2nd rounders decided not to chance it and went after guaranteed money overseas.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Everyone in the NBA takes August off. YOu want to ruin everyone's vacation.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone in the NBA takes August off. YOu want to ruin everyone's vacation.

The vets could still take August off. It would be the fringe players that would need to show up for SL and I doubt those guys rest like others anyway because they played SL in July and have to wait about 2 months for training camp to roll around and hope to carry over their SL success to get a real roster spot. I would guess that those who impress in SL play and get camp invites spend 2 months doing whatever they can to be ready to earn a real payday when training camp starts. This would allow them to prepare once, for SL and then camp because there would be a short break between the 2.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose