Suns: NBA Summer League 2019

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Yuma

Yuma Passed my 90 days! Thanks BigRedRage!

Even if a contract is negotiated, I believe it's not a contract until the NBA league office approves.

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

That story didn't make a lot of sense when Chriss showed up for summer league but did not play.

3. Yuma

I don't remember if they announced Booker would play, but remember his last Summer League appearance, Booker wanted to play. The Suns were trying to discourage him. Luckily that season he had to go play at the Olympic Development Team camp.

4. 95pro

95pro Registered

i'm not reading too much into summer league this year, last year was a real disappointment in Vegas, i'll be there but will not be at the games this year.

5. Mainstreet

A reminder the Suns will play the Denver Nuggets on Friday, July 5th at 8:30 p.m. on ESPN.

ArizonaSportsFan likes this.
  6. Mainstreet

7. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

I'm glad we got Spalding on the Summer League roster. I liked what I saw from him last year, especially in that Pelicans game towards the end of the year when he had 21 & 13 in a win. I figured he'd be waived because of how contracts work but I hope we keep him on a Two-Way deal this year.

Tariq Owens, Lacque, and Harper all signed right after the draft. I think Lacque is the only one with a guaranteed deal though.

Interesting to note that George King isn't on the roster. He was our 2nd round pick last year. He signed a Two-Way deal and never got a real look.

8. Hoop Head

I'm wondering how they'll use Okobo. It wouldn't surprise me if they have him playing more SG in Summer League. He was originally a SG in Europe and then the last year he played before coming to the NBA he was moved to PG. We used him as a PG by necessity last year. We didn't have the depth to try him as an off guard but I do recall seeing him get some minutes with either Melton, Tyler Johnson, or Booker at PG.

If he makes it in the NBA it will probably be as a combo guard because I don't think he's capable of running an NBA offense at PG. He reminds me so much of Barbosa and even more now that I've got to see him play. After the draft last year the way he carried himself was similar to Barbosa, with a permanent grin and broken english. You could tell he learned english somewhat recently by how he spoke. He's also long like Leandro was, he's got a 6'8" wingspan. He's better at attacking the basket and scoring than setting up his teammates. If he gets assists they're not anything flashy, it's just a basic pass that pays off.

I'd like to see him turn the corner this year and assert himself more when he's on the floor. Hopefully Monty finds a better way to use him than Igor because putting at the top of the key to facilitate won't help him or who he's on the court with.

9. slinslin

slinslin Welcome to Amareca

I doubt Okobo will be on the roster.

10. Hoop Head

He's on the Summer League roster and since he's on a guaranteed deal next season it stands to reason we'll keep him around as long as we can, similar to Davon Reed last year.

11. Yuma

12. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

That is about as must see tv as there can be in summer league. I might actually tune into that one.

13. slinslin

slinslin Welcome to Amareca

showcase

We have Rubio, Carter, Lecque, Okobo and for some reason Tyler Johnson is mentioned as PG all the time.

14. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

Your forgot Jerome.

15. Mainstreet

It's because Tyler Johnson can play both guard positions and he played point guard for the Suns.

Even Basketball Reference has him listed as a point guard in recent seasons.

I do think he could more properly be listed as a combo guard.