Suns: NBA Summer League 2019

JCSunsfan

Reaction score
It's because Tyler Johnson can play both guard positions and he played point guard for the Suns.

Even Basketball Reference has him listed as a point guard in recent seasons.

I do think he could more properly be listed as a combo guard.
He will probably play the two for us now after this summer roster churn.

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
As it should be.
As we have been critical of James Jones, when he made the trade for Tyler Johnson, it was mentioned he looked ahead that IF we got a PG, Tyler could switch over to the two. Jones showed a brief insight into his thinking with this trade. Of course that depends on Monty Williams.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He will probably play the two for us now after this summer roster churn.

I expect Tyler Johnson to switch back and forth at the guard position coming off the bench.

It's awesome the Suns have a number of players that can play point guard this season.

JCSunsfan

Reaction score
I expect Tyler Johnson to switch back and forth at the guard position coming off the bench.

It's awesome the Suns have a number of players that can play point guard this season.
We just really need a rim protecting big. A player in an Ibaka mold would be perfect.

Yuma

Reaction score
We just really need a rim protecting big. A player in an Ibaka mold would be perfect.
That won't be Ray Spalding. Maybe a Euro, or Summer league guy we can develop that fits the timeline. Really, Ayton is SUPPOSED to be that guy!

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I couldn't agree more. Can't believe he is still on the market.

I'm not sure where the Suns can find the money unless they waive and stretch Tyer Johnson which I am reticent to do.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I'm not sure where the Suns can find the money unless they waive and stretch Tyer Johnson which I am reticent to do.

I believe Ibaka is still under contract with the Raptors.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Ibaka is still under contract with the Raptors.

I just looked it up as well. He is indeed under contract with the Raptors this season.

Onward to hoping for Faried or Trey Lyles who is a RFA.

JCSunsfan

Reaction score

I did not know he was on the market. Is he a FA? I just used him as an example of the type of player.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just looked it up as well. He is indeed under contract with the Raptors this season.

Onward to hoping for Faried or Trey Lyles who is a RFA.

Don't get your hopes up. I can't for the life of me figure out why the Suns are targeting another shooting guard, when we have such an obvious need for rebounding and rim protection in the frontcourt.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not know he was on the market. Is he a FA? I just used him as an example of the type of player.

No but I thought you were saying that. You used the word "mold" so I should have looked it up which I did afterwards.

Yuma

Reaction score
Don't get your hopes up. I can't for the life of me figure out why the Suns are targeting another shooting guard, when we have such an obvious need for rebounding and rim protection in the frontcourt.
I actually agree with you 100% on this! 4 bigs is not good. One goes down, it can be a long stretch for the remaining three. I would like to actually see a young development guy that is a shot blocker rebounder.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I actually agree with you 100% on this! 4 bigs is not good. One goes down, it can be a long stretch for the remaining three. I would like to actually see a young development guy that is a shot blocker rebounder.

Plus outside of Ayton, none of our bigs has any capacity to be a rebounder or rim protector.