Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Time to Die (Bond 25)

According to Production Weekly, Shatterhand will now begin filming on April 6 in London’s Pinewood Studios, then head to Matera, Italy to finish shooting and will release April 8, 2020.

It's Daniel Craig's final appearance as 007.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rami Malek could be our bond villain

According to Variety, producers are hoping to cast the recent Oscar winner as James Bond's antagonist. The actor himself has fueled rumors by telling Entertainment Tonight, “It would be nice to play a villain, that would be an actor's dream, another dream role for me.”

‘Shatterhand’ is an alias

The film’s working title alludes to a character from Ian Fleming's 1964 novel You Only Live Twice. The name is the alias of super-villain Ernst Blofeld, who was played by Christoph Waltz in the last Bond film, Spectre. Speaking to The Inquirer, Fukunaga seemed to suggest that Waltz might be returning in the upcoming film.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid name for the film. Hopefully, they change it.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Next James Bond Film Is Getting Its First Black & Female 007

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/07/237796/black-female-bond-lashana-lynch-007

The internet may have wanted a Black Bond, or a female Bond, but it looks like we’re getting both. And neither.

Lashana Lynch has been tapped to play the new 007 in the upcoming Bond 25 film, the Independent reports. While Lynch, who recently played Maria Rambeau opposite Brie Larson in Captain Marvel, will reportedly be playing the new agent 007, the character James Bond is still expected to be portrayed by Daniel Craig.

“There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M [played by Ralph Fiennes] says, ‘Come in 007,’ and in walks Lashana who is Black, beautiful, and a woman. It’s a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he’s been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman,” an insider told the Daily Mail.

This means that while Lynch will be taking on the agent number 007, James Bond is still Bond. Bond is expected to be in retirement at the start of the events of the upcoming film, essentially making the coveted agent number 007 open for Lynch’s taking.

The casting of Lashana Lynch as the first female 007 is the latest evidence that Bond 25 will be a much more inclusive installment than its predecessors. The hiring of feminist TV writer and actor Phoebe Waller-Bridge to write the script for the film was perhaps the first suggestion that Bond 25 would be in the very least, much more empathetic to its female characters.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This, if done right, will be a good transition to making it a 007 series instead of a James Bond series - but will it work?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s always been super hit and miss anyways. I just take it movie by movie
Yeah but with bond you at least knew what they were shooting for. With changing 007s I fear this just runs off the tracks. I’m not saying it’ll fail, but it won’t be what my father and brothers rally around as a family event.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah but with bond you at least knew what they were shooting for. With changing 007s I fear this just runs off the tracks. I’m not saying it’ll fail, but it won’t be what my father and brothers rally around as a family event.

Yeah, I always said I'd be cool with a lot of changes (Elba would be PERFECT), but the one thing you can't do is make Bond a woman--no Jane Bond--because it would change the entirety of his character. This appears to be the way they're trying to back-door that switch on the franchise level, so they can say, "It's still 007. See, we aren't changing JAMES BOND'S sex..." I'm just not interested.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I always said I'd be cool with a lot of changes (Elba would be PERFECT), but the one thing you can't do is make Bond a woman--no Jane Bond--because it would change the entirety of his character. This appears to be the way they're trying to back-door that switch on the franchise level, so they can say, "It's still 007. See, we aren't changing JAMES BOND'S sex..." I'm just not interested.

i think they're doing it just for this movie to try and have their cake and eat it too with the twitter mob.

my guess is she either dies in this movie or the next and the new Bond ends up being a man... probably another white dude.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If she was 006 or 008, would that satisfy you?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. Just make a different spy movie/franchise. It's like the show The Terror (which is absolutely NOT the Terror any longer); just trying to trade on the name. In this case, the franchise.

Uh she is not James Bond. She is 007 which in established cannon all the agents after they die or are replaced take on the available double 0 moniker.

MI6 isn’t like sports where they retire a number. [emoji23]

James is retired and gets lured back in. Probably after the new 007 dies or something. It’s still a James Bond film through and through about Bond. Why does it need a new franchise for this movie?

Let’s wait and see what happens by the end of the movie so you can start complaining when they make the new James Bond a non-white guy.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Uh she is not James Bond. She is 007 which in established cannon all the agents after they die or are replaced take on the available double 0 moniker.

MI6 isn’t like sports where they retire a number. [emoji23]

James is retired and gets lured back in. Probably after the new 007 dies or something. It’s still a James Bond film through and through about Bond. Why does it need a new franchise for this movie?

Let’s wait and see what happens by the end of the movie so you can start complaining when they make the new James Bond a non-white guy.

Boy, you're either purposefully obtuse, dumb, or plain lazy. I just put out that I'd love Idris Elba as James Bond, literally on the page before. So that's a weak sauce attempt to paint me with the racist brush. It's obviously the franchise dipping its toes in the market waters to see what the audience will tolerate. I'm not interested in the "we made it a woman!" twist, in any way, shape, or form. It just doesn't interest me in this franchise.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Boy, you're either purposefully obtuse, dumb, or plain lazy. I just put out that I'd love Idris Elba as James Bond, literally on the page before. So that's a weak sauce attempt to paint me with the racist brush. It's obviously the franchise dipping its toes in the market waters to see what the audience will tolerate. I'm not interested in the "we made it a woman!" twist, in any way, shape, or form. It just doesn't interest me in this franchise.
Right, if this is an attempt to shed bond in favor of a female franchise I look down upon it. Bond is Bond. An iconic character. I’m with stout, I have no problem if they wanna female spy franchise - I may enjoy it - but I’ll not look kindly on it if it’s a replacement for Bond. I’m even alright with it being a spin-off franchise from bond, even if I think it’s somewhat of a lame mechanism for launching a new franchise.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Right, if this is an attempt to shed bond in favor of a female franchise I look down upon it. Bond is Bond. An iconic character. I’m with stout, I have no problem if they wanna female spy franchise - I may enjoy it - but I’ll not look kindly on it if it’s a replacement for Bond. I’m even alright with it being a spin-off franchise from bond, even if I think it’s somewhat of a lame mechanism for launching a new franchise.
I think their reasoning is that she's NOT Bond, just 007. Not sure where that fits in with the mythology, but that's what it seems like to me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think their reasoning is that she's NOT Bond, just 007. Not sure where that fits in with the mythology, but that's what it seems like to me.
Doesn’t bother me in the context hypothesized - he retired and she’s the new 007, and he comes back for any reason. But I’d be frustrated if that was the end of Bond and moving forward it was “007” franchise and not “Bond” franchise. When new flicks came out it was always the “new Bond flick” not the “new 007 flick” or the “new MI6 flick.”

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I suppose it's also possible that this is the final film in the "Daniel Craig phase" of the character, and Bond 26 will introduce a new, younger Bond--maybe an origin story and continue on the assumption that previous versions of the character never existed.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Calm down there Skippy. I wasn't attempting to paint you racist. LOL. I was making fun of the fact that you are often a purist (i.e. don't like remakes) and if it's not a White British guy playing James Bond (tradition) it wouldn't surprise me if you would have a problem with it. Didn't we have a similar conversation about Jack Reacher? If it wasn't you my bad and I apologize if you thought that is what I meant.

Although I find it interesting you find a woman playing 007 is a "twist". Why is that exactly? Are you assuming it's a PC move verses just getting a good actor regardless of gender move? Also, how is it a twist if any agent can have a 00 number exactly?

Again....this is all aside from the point this is still a James Bond film. Having a problem with another agent playing 007 while he is retired in terms of story is what is obtuse or dumb. She isn't James Bond. That point FOR THIS FILM seems silly. Anybody can be 00 whatever.

They could very well be testing the water so to speak to see what fan reaction is but other than that? I think people are reading WAY too much into this FOR THIS FILM.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t bother me in the context hypothesized - he retired and she’s the new 007, and he comes back for any reason. But I’d be frustrated if that was the end of Bond and moving forward it was “007” franchise and not “Bond” franchise. When new flicks came out it was always the “new Bond flick” not the “new 007 flick” or the “new MI6 flick.”

Now that makes sense. I agree. If they just "retire" the James Bond name (maybe that is what Stout was saying) and this continues as just 007? Yeah that would suck. In that case it should be a new franchise but it really can't be separate unless you plan on letting James Bond sit for awhile. You couldn't have two franchises where different agents use the 007 number. It would have to be a completely different thing unless you let the original rest.

James Bond is James Bond. Hell I would rather they do some long lost daughter type thing and call her Jane Bond or something like that. Again it would be a different franchise though.

I think this is Craig's last one. If so, recast the character and keep moving along.