No Time to Die (Bond 25)

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Brian in Mesa, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

If she was 006 or 008, would that satisfy you?

2. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Not really. Just make a different spy movie/franchise. It's like the show The Terror (which is absolutely NOT the Terror any longer); just trying to trade on the name. In this case, the franchise.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  3. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Uh she is not James Bond. She is 007 which in established cannon all the agents after they die or are replaced take on the available double 0 moniker.

MI6 isn’t like sports where they retire a number.

James is retired and gets lured back in. Probably after the new 007 dies or something. It’s still a James Bond film through and through about Bond. Why does it need a new franchise for this movie?

Let’s wait and see what happens by the end of the movie so you can start complaining when they make the new James Bond a non-white guy.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  4. Stout

Boy, you're either purposefully obtuse, dumb, or plain lazy. I just put out that I'd love Idris Elba as James Bond, literally on the page before. So that's a weak sauce attempt to paint me with the racist brush. It's obviously the franchise dipping its toes in the market waters to see what the audience will tolerate. I'm not interested in the "we made it a woman!" twist, in any way, shape, or form. It just doesn't interest me in this franchise.

jf-08 likes this.
  5. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Right, if this is an attempt to shed bond in favor of a female franchise I look down upon it. Bond is Bond. An iconic character. I’m with stout, I have no problem if they wanna female spy franchise - I may enjoy it - but I’ll not look kindly on it if it’s a replacement for Bond. I’m even alright with it being a spin-off franchise from bond, even if I think it’s somewhat of a lame mechanism for launching a new franchise.

6. Chaplin

I think their reasoning is that she's NOT Bond, just 007. Not sure where that fits in with the mythology, but that's what it seems like to me.

7. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Doesn’t bother me in the context hypothesized - he retired and she’s the new 007, and he comes back for any reason. But I’d be frustrated if that was the end of Bond and moving forward it was “007” franchise and not “Bond” franchise. When new flicks came out it was always the “new Bond flick” not the “new 007 flick” or the “new MI6 flick.”

Stout and Covert Rain like this.
  8. Chaplin

I suppose it's also possible that this is the final film in the "Daniel Craig phase" of the character, and Bond 26 will introduce a new, younger Bond--maybe an origin story and continue on the assumption that previous versions of the character never existed.

9. Covert Rain

Calm down there Skippy. I wasn't attempting to paint you racist. LOL. I was making fun of the fact that you are often a purist (i.e. don't like remakes) and if it's not a White British guy playing James Bond (tradition) it wouldn't surprise me if you would have a problem with it. Didn't we have a similar conversation about Jack Reacher? If it wasn't you my bad and I apologize if you thought that is what I meant.

Although I find it interesting you find a woman playing 007 is a "twist". Why is that exactly? Are you assuming it's a PC move verses just getting a good actor regardless of gender move? Also, how is it a twist if any agent can have a 00 number exactly?

Again....this is all aside from the point this is still a James Bond film. Having a problem with another agent playing 007 while he is retired in terms of story is what is obtuse or dumb. She isn't James Bond. That point FOR THIS FILM seems silly. Anybody can be 00 whatever.

They could very well be testing the water so to speak to see what fan reaction is but other than that? I think people are reading WAY too much into this FOR THIS FILM.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  10. Covert Rain

Now that makes sense. I agree. If they just "retire" the James Bond name (maybe that is what Stout was saying) and this continues as just 007? Yeah that would suck. In that case it should be a new franchise but it really can't be separate unless you plan on letting James Bond sit for awhile. You couldn't have two franchises where different agents use the 007 number. It would have to be a completely different thing unless you let the original rest.

James Bond is James Bond. Hell I would rather they do some long lost daughter type thing and call her Jane Bond or something like that. Again it would be a different franchise though.

I think this is Craig's last one. If so, recast the character and keep moving along.

11. Stout

Exactly. But, for your second point, I disagree vigorously. If I ever see a preview with a Jane Bond that's a serious thing, I'm done forever. When I say different franchise, I don't mean different "this universe" franchise, I mean make a different franchise period. I'm all for differential casting, but Jane Bond would be the ultimate PC stupidity.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  12. Covert Rain

That's what I was suggesting. A different franchise. I wouldn't want them to be disconnected though. That crap never works. However, a different focus on characters could work if it was done right. I could watch that.

By the way I was being a bit facetious about "Jane Bond". I was simply saying if they did a spinoff that would be one way to go. Not that it would be where I want them to go.

I just disagree that if they decided to go with a new female lead for James Bond in the future you should assume it's just to be PC. I mean the same could be said about hiring Idris in the future. That's not to say that it wouldn't be a factor but at the end of the day I only care about two things. Script and acting ability. I don't give a damn who plays the part.

People getting worked up about about a female 007 for this film who is not playing James Bond just seems silly.

13. Stout

Agreed to an extent on your last point. My only problem with it is it's only a female 007 FOR NOW. They're testing the waters for Jane Bond, mark my word. And I don't care what script or actor you use, Jane Bond would absolutely be stupid and intrinsically change the character, as would making James Bond gay. Like it or not, James Bond is a male womanizer. He had a taste of love, and it spurned him. Certain things, you just can't change in a character.

You and I have different ideas on what a different franchise is. Different franchise = NOTHING to do with ANYTHING from the Bondverse, in what I'm saying. 007 is in the Bondverse. I'm saying, instead of the stupid Jane Bond, just make a female-led spy franchise, not a female 007 franchise.

14. Chaplin

The Bondverse isn’t that unique anymore.

15. Covert Rain

No no. I didn’t mean change James Bond into Jane Bond. I meant it would be a spin-off idea only. Something connected but separate characters. Again I was being a bit facetious in that I was just saying you could do a spin-off in a number of ways that I would watch if the movie was high quality.

I think the very idea is doing something not connected even loosely is the worst of bad ideas. The MCU did it right. DCU did not.

There is no way they use 007 with both franchises going at the same time. So I am not worried about that one bit.