Oubre Re-signed

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We wont be the only ones fishing in that pond. And it makes us sound an awful lot like the Knicks.

Except the Knicks had a gutted, waste heap of a roster that they were trying to lure free agents to join.

We could, potentially, have 2 young, all-star caliber players and a decent supporting cast around them.

But, as we've seen, it will be really difficult to lure in a star free agent if we're not winning games. The team as currently constructed is going to need to perform.

EDIT: Just saw I was a broken record in this response. Glad to see so many on the same page for once.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Gambo just mentioned that in speaking with Oubre's camp, they made it crystal clear that he wants to remain in PHX for the longterm. He has grown very tight with Ayton and Booker and would love to sign his next contract with the Suns.
Definitely nice to hear, but now it's time to earn your next contract!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thrilled with the Oubre signing but the Suns wouldn't have to make a big splash in free agency in 2 years if they had been able to sign Oubre to a longer term contract.

It will be interesting to revisit this subject in a couple of years. I will go on record that I think Oubre was vastly underpaid on his new contract.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay... so despite my misgivings with the way we constructed this team, I am looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out. We've got more vets, an ok NBA PG which is a massive step up from complete dog-crap, Oubre's swag back, a new HC who I actually think can make a difference with Ayton if anyone can and hopefully a big growth spurt from Bridges as far as his game is concerned.

I'm looking at the next two years as the training wheels seasons. We haven't done anything to significantly screw up our cap. We got guys who can at least contribute in some way shape or form (Rubio, Saric, Baynes, TJ, Kaminsky) two rookies who might add at least a little something of value and the young core being coached by a legit coaching staff for the first time in their pro basketball careers.

I'm gonna go ahead and call us a 30-33 win team by season's end. Just gotta hope they strike gold in the lotto, hopefully get a PG of the future and the year after they can take another big step, making themselves attractive in the big FA year of 2021.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thrilled with the Oubre signing but the Suns wouldn't have to make a big splash in free agency in 2 years if they had been able to sign Oubre to a longer term contract.

It will be interesting to revisit this subject in a couple of years. I will go on record that I think Oubre was vastly underpaid on his new contract.

me too. I think this will be somewhat similar to Joe Johnson... someone we could have locked up for a long time at a super reasonable salary, but were short-sighted and then were forced into a bad position where they'd either have to overpay for his services or see him walk.

but is what it is at this point...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
okay... so despite my misgivings with the way we constructed this team, I am pretty excited about the season. We've got more vets, legit ok PG which is a massive step up from complete dog-crap, Oubre's swag back, a new HC who I actually think can make a difference with Ayton if anyone can and hopefully a big growth spurt from Bridges as far as his game is concerned.

I'm looking at the next two years as the training wheels seasons. We haven't done anything to significantly screw up our cap. We got guys who can at least contribute in some way shape or form (Rubio, Saric, Baynes, TJ, Kaminsky) two rookies who might add at least a little something of value and the young core being coached by a legit coaching staff for the first time in their pro basketball careers.

I'm gonna go ahead and call us a 30-33 win team by season's end. Just gotta hope they strike gold in the lotto, hopefully get a PG of the future and the year after they can take another big step, making themselves attractive in the big FA year of 2021.
Pretty much where I'm at. We don't disagree. Still want to do a podcast?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
now we should wait for the season, where we'll probably tear each other apart as usual.
Yeah, well with what's going on with my personal life, I think Training Camp is a good goal for getting something off the ground... LOL

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, well with what's going on with my personal life, I think Training Camp is a good goal for getting something off the ground... LOL

lol... deal.

hope that just means you're super busy and everything's okay in Chapland.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
me too. I think this will be somewhat similar to Joe Johnson... someone we could have locked up for a long time at a super reasonable salary, but were short-sighted and then were forced into a bad position where they'd either have to overpay for his services or see him walk.

but is what it is at this point...

We couldn't agree more but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

It does feel like the Joe Johnson situation all over again but I'm going to be happy with what we have.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Adam Silver lets that second unit play 6 vs 5 then Suns makes the postseason no question.

The Suns bench is much better than last season. At least you are looking towards the postseason.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We couldn't agree more but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

It does feel like the Joe Johnson situation all over again but I'm going to be happy with what we have.

Joe started over 100 games for the Suns before the 04-05’ season while Kelly has started a handful of games here. I think we should still be pissed about how they handled JJ but I’m not seeing the Oubre comparison considering the details. I love this deal.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Here's something someone mentioned. Does anybody think that Kelly Oubre is what we wanted Josh Jackson to be when he was drafted?

Well Oubre is a lot closer to our dreams for Jackson than Jackson himself is, that's for sure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe started over 100 games for the Suns before the 04-05’ season while Kelly has started a handful of games here. I think we should still be pissed about how they handled JJ but I’m not seeing the Oubre comparison considering the details. I love this deal.

I believe in catching players on the way up and minimize overpaying once they arrive.

It's a projection on my part but I'm comfortable thinking Oubre was significantly underpaid.

Again, I'm thrilled to have Oubre for two more seasons but I think the Suns will regret not paying him more for a longer contract.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Here's something someone mentioned. Does anybody think that Kelly Oubre is what we wanted Josh Jackson to be when he was drafted?

I thought JJ would be a legitimate playmaker- a true point forward. I underestimated how low of a basketball IQ (and judging by his legal troubles, IQ in general) he had. But yeah, for the most part Oubre is what we hoped JJ would develop into.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought JJ would be a legitimate playmaker- a true point forward. I underestimated how low of a basketball IQ (and judging by his legal troubles, IQ in general) he had. But yeah, for the most part Oubre is what we hoped JJ would develop into.

man... what a bust that pick was... especially with Fox sitting there and us knowing we weren't going to give Bledsoe that huge contract extension he wanted, which meant he was gone sooner rather than later also.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think this is on target.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm fine with 2/30. We get to take an extended look at him and he cant rest on his laurels.
He HAS to play his ass off to make sure he gets a good contract next time around whether its with the Suns or not.
The better he plays the better the Suns are and the more likely he re signs with the good guys.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo is saying that Oubre wants to resign here after two years. He has really connected with Book and DA.

Of course things can change, but at least it’s a sign the negotiations were not acrimonious.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
man... what a bust that pick was... especially with Fox sitting there and us knowing we weren't going to give Bledsoe that huge contract extension he wanted, which meant he was gone sooner rather than later also.

And the year before, they took Chriss and Bender.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose