Oubre Re-signed

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder how much oubres value in a trade has diminished with the deal being only two years. If traded at deadline that means you only get a partial season and then a contract season. That’s not a lot of return.
Depends on how the team looks at it. It seems that team now value cap flexibility above everything. I thought TJ Warren's deal was a very marketable contract given his production and salary, but we found no takers. Maybe that is a bad comparison. If he ends up a star player, it's not as marketable as a long term contract would be. If he is average starter level, then I am not sure it matters much.

The tipping point for this team will be in the summer of 2021. If Booker and Ayton develop into stars/superstars we will have the flexibility to add exactly the players we want around them, and this team should be a destination. If they do not, I assume we will be blowing it up and starting over.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I thought TJ Warren's deal was a very marketable contract given his production and salary, but we found no takers.

That's because of his history of phantom injuries. If he had manned up and played a full season, his contract would have had positive value, especially with his improved three-point shooting.

The Oubre deal is good. Maybe three years would have been better, but it's splitting hairs. Even two years is an eternity in today's NBA. Booker is the Suns' elder statesman, and he has been with the team a whopping four years. No one else on the roster has been with the team for more than a full year. I'm sure that there are lots of players from a year or two ago that we expected would still be with the team now, but that's not how it works.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's because of his history of phantom injuries. If he had manned up and played a full season, his contract would have had positive value, especially with his improved three-point shooting.

The Oubre deal is good. Maybe three years would have been better, but it's splitting hairs. Even two years is an eternity in today's NBA. Booker is the Suns' elder statesman, and he has been with the team a whopping four years. No one else on the roster has been with the team for more than a full year. I'm sure that there are lots of players from a year or two ago that we expected would still be with the team now, but that's not how it works.
Well. I had predicted 5/75. I got the per year right, just the wrong number of years. I had thought a team option in year 5 would be best. I wonder who wanted the shorter deal, the Suns, Oubre, or both. I can see advantages and disadvantages on both sides.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. I had predicted 5/75. I got the per year right, just the wrong number of years. I had thought a team option in year 5 would be best. I wonder who wanted the shorter deal, the Suns, Oubre, or both. I can see advantages and disadvantages on both sides.

This is in the ballpark of what I thought. I figured the way they seemed to be waiting (to see if bigger offer comes) meant he was only going to sign a 2 to 3 year deal and then get himself on the open market. Figured there was no chance of a 5 year deal or anything like that. Plus by that time we should know if the CORE of this team will take us anywhere which I am sure will factor in to his decision down the road.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much oubres value in a trade has diminished with the deal being only two years. If traded at deadline that means you only get a partial season and then a contract season. That’s not a lot of return.

His bird rights will travel with him, which will help in a trade. It's not like he just signed a 2 year deal elsewhere.

I know someone mentioned teams could only give RFA offer sheets that contained 3 years, I find it a little odd that a team looking to sign away a RFA has to pony up the cash for 3 years while the team retaining him is capable of resigning them for 2 years.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His bird rights will travel with him, which will help in a trade. It's not like he just signed a 2 year deal elsewhere.

I know someone mentioned teams could only give RFA offer sheets that contained 3 years, I find it a little odd that a team looking to sign away a RFA has to pony up the cash for 3 years while the team retaining him is capable of resigning them for 2 years.
It gives the home team a little advantage with star players. Other teams cannot lure a star player away by promising him and early UFA opportunity. The home team can do it if they want.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty pleased with the contract and the flexibility that comes with it regarding that FA year.

Our depth is good, I’m not sure which if any guys are in a contract year this now.

Now it’s a matter of putting the pieces together ie coaching

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Because he is a bitter UA fan. ;)

Even if he didn’t tear our hearts out two years in a row he seems like a try hard delta bravo type. With Oubre back playing the 4 when Saric is out we won’t see much of Kaminsky and in two years...

You must be registered for see images attach

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With Oubre being paid 15.7 this season and 14.3 next season, was that structure done to keep room for a max contract next off season? Why would he want to make more this year and less next?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So what was your preference? 3 years, 60? I think James Jones is positioning the team nicely for a possibly nice signing 2 years from now. Who cares about the return? If you only sign guys based on what they MIGHT be worth when you inevitably trade them, how would we get anything done? 2 years is a player-friendly and cap-friendly deal for us. Can it backfire? Sure. But only if he becomes some sort of all-star, and there is no guarantee of that.

The fact that we signed him for $15m per instead of the $22m per many were worried we'd have to is a big win in my book.
Chap I’m just going to admit, I don’t understand your entire first paragraph.

As for the $22M . . . we’re the “many” in other boards bc I can only recall one poster calling for $20-25M and the rest of us calling him crazy (maybe the “many” are the three guys I have on ignore). I thought 3/$51 or 54M would’ve been reasonable for a three year contract.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

That’s a fair point.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

As for the $22M . . . we’re the “many” in other boards bc I can only recall one poster calling for $20-25M and the rest of us calling him crazy (maybe the “many” are the three guys I have on ignore). I thought 3/$51 or 54M would’ve been reasonable for a three year contract.
You were complaining about it not being 3 years.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
As not even a big Oubre guy I probably would’ve gone to 17m/year over two. I just love the two years.

I’m sure Kelly, like all players, wanted a huge contract but he’s still got to be happy right now. He’s going back to a place he likes and hits unrestricted FA in two years. By that time he’ll have made nearly 40m gross with another payday in sight. The AZ and DC tax experts have to calculate his net but he’s more than set for life if he’s smart.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a fair point, but if he is playing well, a team in the playoff race that has a disgruntled star will know that they will have him for one more season at a cheap rate and then cap relief for Johnson. Not as good as getting a rookie deal guy, that's for sure.

Why would a team in the playoff race get rid of their star for one season of Oubre and cap relief? I mean... if a team is in the playoff race, the likelihood of finding a star who wants out... to go to a non-playoff team seems dubious to me, especially for not much in return.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know my position. I didn’t understand what points you were trying to make.
That in 2 years, we will be better positioned to make a free agency splash since we won't have Oubre's contract on our books. The key is Summer 2021, a huge free agency summer.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

That was me. :-D

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That in 2 years, we will be better positioned to make a free agency splash since we won't have Oubre's contract on our books. The key is Summer 2021, a huge free agency summer.
We wont be the only ones fishing in that pond. And it makes us sound an awful lot like the Knicks.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We wont be the only ones fishing in that pond. And it makes us sound an awful lot like the Knicks.
Except we have a solid roster that can be built upon for the next 2 years. The Knicks are the DIY version of an NBA team, and they aren't very good contractors.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hopefully the difference is that we will be a good team and will be able to attract free agents because of that. The Knicks have been relying completely on the fact that they are in a marquee city and nothing more. Free agents want to see that a team has their stuff figured out before they want to sign with you. Hopefully 2 years from now the Suns will appear to have their stuff together.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the difference is that we will be a good team and will be able to attract free agents because of that. The Knicks have been relying completely on the fact that they are in a marquee city and nothing more. Free agents want to see that a team has their stuff figured out before they want to sign with you. Hopefully 2 years from now the Suns will appear to have their stuff together.

we REALLY need Ayton to reach his potential. he's the key. I hope he's got it in him and that Monty can pull it out of him. He's just got so much natural talent and feel for the game. Dude should be a monster by year 3 if he's got that thing inside of him that pushes him to be.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
we REALLY need Ayton to reach his potential. he's the key. I hope he's got it in him and that Monty can pull it out of him. He's just got so much natural talent and feel for the game. Dude should be a monster by year 3 if he's got that thing inside of him that pushes him to be.

I agree. It all comes down to how good Ayton gets. If Ayton can be the Center version of 3rd year Booker, people will be lining up to play with Book and Ayton.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. It all comes down to how good Ayton gets. If Ayton can be the Center version of 3rd year Booker, people will be lining up to play with Book and Ayton.

they do have the possibility to be a not quite rich man's Shaq/Kobe. I don't think they'll ever reach those heights because both guys could dominate at both ends of the court and Shaq was just the biggest freak of nature ever in the NBA. But if they can be a dynamic duo, a third star (likely a PG of the future) could bring this team to the heights we all desperately want them to reach.

but it's all on Ayton. He's got the physical tools to do it on both ends that Booker just doesn't have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose