Reaction score

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kellan Olson (@KellanOlson)
7/7/19, 7:02 PM
James Jones on where he sees Cam Johnson playing on the floor: He's a guy that's agile enough to play the 2, versatile enough to play the 3 and tall enough to play the 4, so I see him all over the floor.

As I said, they completely plan on playing him at the 4. I didn't think reporters were making this up.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Actually, the plan I now get. The sloppy execution of it, including the complete mismanagement of assets and the cap as documented in the article, are what give me cause for concern.
"James Jones is in way over his head" is not the same as saying you have "cause for concern". The latter is a reasonable statement and the former is essentially hyperbole or pure exaggeration. That is the issue I took with your comment.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
As I said, they completely plan on playing him at the 4. I didn't think reporters were making this up.
I personally have thought that their plan is exactly what Jones stated yesterday and that is that he will play all over the place depending on lineups and match ups. He is not going to be a lock down defender at any one of those positions, but I think he has enough versatility to hold up against the weakest of those three positions that the other team puts on the floor. I don't particularly think he has to be hidden on defense, but he is certainly not going to be asked to play big minutes against the other teams best or 2nd best player either.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per the Athletic, Johnson will not play in the Summer League at all. Nor will Ty Jerome.

https://theathletic.com/1067139/201...meron-johnson-ty-jerome-out-of-summer-league/

Johnson said before the contest he planned to study his team’s details, from offensive spacing to how to handle end-of-quarter situations to whether a specific teammate holds the ball near his hip or above his shoulder on an inbound pass. In between games, Johnson and Jerome are free to lift weights and go through on-court workouts with teammates, including Devin Booker, Deandre Ayton and Mikal Bridges, all of whom were in Las Vegas this weekend.

Jerome said he and Johnson found out after Saturday’s workout that the front office had decided not to play them at all during Summer League.

“That wasn’t a hard decision to make,” general manager James Jones said, “given the way the schedule fell as far as those guys not being able to be with us in Phoenix with our coaches (and) go through practices. … I just didn’t think it would be fair to them, but more importantly, to their teammates, who, throughout our Summer League training camp, (have) been really getting after it and trying to put something together.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, this is chickenpoop from Jones. Culver and Hunter were both traded as well and will play.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
"James Jones is in way over his head" is not the same as saying you have "cause for concern". The latter is a reasonable statement and the former is essentially hyperbole or pure exaggeration. That is the issue I took with your comment.

Look at the cap mismanagement referenced in the article. How is that not "in over his head"? Heck, the article called it "malpractice".

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does it matter? Its summer league. There are other players they need to look at.

What other players?

This is the team right now:

Booker
Johnson
Ayton
Baynes
Bridges
Johnson
Saric
Jerome
Kaminsky

In theory

Oubre
Carter

So that is 11

Signed and playing in the summer league

Lecque

Playing in the summer league right now but minimal minutes

Okobo
Spalding

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What other players?

This is the team right now:

Booker
Johnson
Ayton
Baynes
Bridges
Johnson
Saric
Jerome
Kaminsky

In theory

Oubre
Carter

So that is 11

Signed and playing in the summer league

Lecque

Playing in the summer league right now but minimal minutes

Okobo
Spalding

Lecque and Harper need the minutes.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In overtime last night Lecque played 15 minutes and his minutes have nothing to do with Johnson playing. Harper minutes are both inconsequential to the future of this team and minimally impact Johnson.

What this is at it's core is James Jones not wanting to risk the backlash from his questionable draft night decisions playing poorly against other rookies and non NBA players.

Which is crazy because these are older players that should be the ones able to perform at a higher level in the summer league.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And any other individuals that they might want to invite to camp. Cam and Ty are going to be at training camp no matter what and will both be on the regular season roster. Therefor they don't need the SL playing time nearly as much as plenty of the other players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In overtime last night Lecque played 15 minutes and his minutes have nothing to do with Johnson playing. Harper minutes are both inconsequential to the future of this team and minimally impact Johnson.

What this is at it's core is James Jones not wanting to risk the backlash from his questionable draft night decisions playing poorly against other rookies and non NBA players.

Which is crazy because these are older players that should be the ones able to perform at a higher level in the summer league.

I'm not saying James Jones' decision to not play these players is right. It seems like they should play from my perspective.

What I'm saying is Lecque and Harper need the minutes. I like Harper a lot and think he has a legitimate chance to be a solid NBA backup point guard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And any other individuals that they might want to invite to camp. Cam and Ty are going to be at training camp no matter what and will both be on the regular season roster. Therefor they don't need the SL playing time nearly as much as plenty of the other players.

They can use the minutes more but I'm still puzzled a bit as to why Jones cannot give Jerome and Johnson at least some playing time.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They can use the minutes more but I'm still puzzled a bit as to why Jones cannot give Jerome and Johnson at least some playing time.
It's not a matter of whether they can or not. They absolutely could if they wanted to, but with them getting no practice time or any time with the training staff they decided it would be better to just hold them out of SL. Those circumstances aren't exactly making it more likely for those guys to go out there and perform well and with the way people overreact to everything that happens in SL it makes sense why they wouldn't want to put those guys in that position.

Could you imagine the type of crap that the team and Cam would have to endure on social media if he went out there and looked unprepared and played like crap? Or if those guys weren't in great shape and got injured or something? They are better off due to the entire situation to just hold them out and have them focus on preparing to play in training camp. The league needs to fix the schedule so these things don't keep happening in the future.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a matter of whether they can or not. They absolutely could if they wanted to, but with them getting no practice time or any time with the training staff they decided it would be better to just hold them out of SL. Those circumstances aren't exactly making it more likely for those guys to go out there and perform well and with the way people overreact to everything that happens in SL it makes sense why they wouldn't want to put those guys in that position.

Could you imagine the type of crap that the team and Cam would have to endure on social media if he went out there and looked unprepared and played like crap? Or if those guys weren't in great shape and got injured or something? They are better off due to the entire situation to just hold them out and have them focus on preparing to play in training camp. The league needs to fix the schedule so these things don't keep happening in the future.

Except every other player in the same situation is playing.

This wasn't unique to the Suns, just Jones management continues to stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the league.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

This wasn't unique to the Suns, just Jones management continues to stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the league.
I didn't say it was unique, but that I agree with the decision based on the circumstance. If those other teams want their guys out there then great for them, but I am completely fine with Cam and Ty not playing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not saying I agree with the decision but here's more from Jones about why are 2 1st round picks are sitting out...

Jones provided the explanation for why he sat his players, saying the choice was not a hard decision.

“Given the way the schedule fell as far as those guys not being able to be with us in Phoenix with our coaches, go through practices — for them realistically, I don’t think they’ve probably played 5-on-5 since March,” he said. “So to go three to four months without playing 5-on-5 … we had two-a-days, we had morning practices, night practices, shooting sessions.

“I just didn’t think it would be fair to them, but more importantly, to their teammates who’ve been, throughout our summer league training camp, they’ve been really getting after it and trying to put something together.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/200...eflects-on-offseason-decision-to-sit-rookies/

Figured I'd post that here since Chris started this conversation up here. I know it already happened quite a bit in another thread but that's been buried by now.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Summer league is about developing talent--especially young talent--and the team finding out about players. It is not about showcasing new talent for fans. Cam and Ty are both much older rookies--if Jones thinks he already knows what he needs to know about them, I am fine with it. What is the point in putting them out there unprepared? They are both smart players who will prosper in a team environment where their roles are well-defined. Throwing them out there in summer league with no prep will just serve to give media fodder to rip the team and fans to panic.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Summer league is about developing talent--especially young talent--and the team finding out about players. It is not about showcasing new talent for fans. Cam and Ty are both much older rookies--if Jones thinks he already knows what he needs to know about them, I am fine with it. What is the point in putting them out there unprepared? They are both smart players who will prosper in a team environment where their roles are well-defined. Throwing them out there in summer league with no prep will just serve to give media fodder to rip the team and fans to panic.
Imagine the crap Barrett and the Knicks (higher profile, but still) will have to endure if he doesn't start performing better by the end of this SL. It's the unfortunate reality of our current media driven culture that everything is blown way out of proportion and SL performance is absolutely one of those things. Makes no sense to throw them out there unprepared just to appease the same fans that will be ripping them to shreds on social media if they perform poorly. By Jones making the decision to not play them he can avoid that possibility while maybe taking a little heat himself for making the decision.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I hope the decision is on Monty or even Coach Willie and not Jones. I'm not a fan of them sitting out SL but I can understand the reasoning he's given. Still I think it should be on the coach rather than GM.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I hope the decision is on Monty or even Coach Willie and not Jones. I'm not a fan of them sitting out SL but I can understand the reasoning he's given. Still I think it should be on the coach rather than GM.
Not sure I agree on that. If we are talking about the decision to play a guy or not in actual games than Jones should absolutely leave that to the coaching staff, but I see no issue with him making that call for SL.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure. Fine. Coach or whatever.

NY fans are ready to jump off a bridge after watching few over Barrett's games.

If those two guys were thrown out there right now, I do think they would perform poorly. The fretting, criticism, and panic would be intolerable. I have had enough of that this off-season. Take the time. Prepare them the right way.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He seems like a sharp "old man". Brought up an interesting thing with college basketballs. Said they play with 4 different balls throughout the year in college.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson