Jackson, Melton dumped

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
James Jones is a neophyte as a GM, but already a seasoned vet at selling low.

You're not even going to give a talented but enigmatic #4 pick a chance with a legitimate NBA coaching staff?
If he was good on the court or off the court than maybe. The problem is that he showed to have issues in both areas.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think Melton going instead of Okobo had to do with contract. Okobo is guaranteed through the next 2 seasons and Melton expires after this season.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
So blaming this bust on McD is not really truthful (not referring to you), since he was pretty much the consensus pick at 4

No, I disagree. We sit at our computers, watch ESPN and decide who we want the Suns to draft. GMs get to meet the players in person, hire investigators to research their backgrounds, see them in multiple workouts, give them their own tests. It IS their job to pick the right player. I'm not saying its an exact science but its their job. You pick good ones you are good at your job. You pick bad ones you are bad.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Melton going instead of Okobo had to do with contract. Okobo is guaranteed through the next 2 seasons and Melton expires after this season.

I think they wanted the better of the two in order for the trade to happen.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So blaming this bust on McD is not really truthful (not referring to you), since he was pretty much the consensus pick at 4
OK. I defended McD a lot, but if a GM just makes the pick all the mocks would have made, what is the point in having him as the GM. Jackson was actually the consensus #3 pick. But Ainge was smart enough to take Tatum instead.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
John Gambadoro
Verified account 4m4 minutes ago
Major point here - Moving Josh Jackson paves the way for the Suns to retain Kelly Oubre. It strengthens the Suns position to keep Oubre and shows a commitment to making sure their restricted free agent stays in Phoenix
:barf:

This wasn’t needed any way shape or form to retain Oubre. This is Mouth of Sauron stuff.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It wasn’t necessary at all. They could’ve easily stretched him instead of dumping Melton/picks.
Stretching keeps money on the books several seasons. This rips the bandaid off!

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Embarrassing. Two 2nd rounders and Melton to dump JJ?
Another distressed asset. Not sure what was to be expected. It would seem Jones is just going to take the loss of dumping no value players now in order to move forward. It sucks, but this is where we’re at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
What is the total haul so far for this off season?

We started the off season with:

12m in cap space
#6 pick
#32 pick
Milwaukee pick

We sent out or lost:
TJ
JJ
Holmes
Melton

so far, we have:
Rubio
Saric
Baynes
Cam Johnson
Korver
Carter

Seems to me that we sold low on our assets.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this was necessary to clear space over multiple seasons and retain Oubre I can stomach it. If we don't end up with Oubre....this was one ******** trade. Throwing in picks and Jackson already has my stomach churning.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
It wasn’t necessary at all. They could’ve easily stretched him instead of dumping Melton/picks.
Then we’re complaining about money on the books next year that didn’t need to be there. Do you want it to be painful now, or later? Like I’ve said, it sucks, but time to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
1st, what conditions?
2nd, I’m 100% ok with this trade. Better than packaging a 1st just to get rid of Josh Jackson. We needed the money, we got it.
3rd, I believe this means Kaminsky does NOT have to use the Room Exception and we now have money left to sign a SG like they’ve said we’re going to do.

Oh and who cares about 2nd round picks? This board and fan base generally places too much value on low draft picks.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No, I disagree. We sit at our computers, watch ESPN and decide who we want the Suns to draft. GMs get to meet the players in person, hire investigators to research their backgrounds, see them in multiple workouts, give them their own tests. It IS their job to pick the right player. I'm not saying its an exact science but its their job. You pick good ones you are good at your job. You pick bad ones you are bad.
Agree 100%. Just bc all the online mocks and fans say a player goes 4th doesn’t mean you were forced to take him there. And full disclosure I loved jJ pick. You’re a gm. You’re supposed to make the best pick. For instance, jones panned for cam pick this year - if cam is great he’s brilliant and if cam sucks he was a total reach.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That puts what $3m in dead money on the cap for three years? No thanks to that.

They were always going to dump melton.

Just because the fans like him does not mean the team does, Gambo has been saying he was out as soon as the season ended.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose