Jackson, Melton dumped

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand why he's being shipped out. They're looking to change the culture here and keeping him would sends the wrong message to the other young guys. I'm a little surprised we couldn't get any sort of return for Jackson & Melton as a combo though. Why ditch Melton instead of Okobo also? I don't get that.
I am shocked that it did not cost us more. When you look at all those turnovers from JJ through the first four months of the season last year, we could have 8 more wins just by his subtraction from the roster. I liked Melton. I think he has potential.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is that Melton holds more value as a defensive backup. I would assume Memphis would want him over Okobo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, but they're not giving up anything so it's like "Here, take this potential. Enjoy!"

They were going to buy out Korver themselves so it's not like they're changing their own plans.

However with Josh getting in so much trouble here off the court, I'm having a hard time seeing him do better in Memphis unless this is a reality check for him.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Totally okay moving JJ, not ready ti see an NBA floor, didnt improve from year 1 to 2. Doesnt seem to have NBA work ethic and mindset and Suns need culture change with all his off the court stuff.

This was done to clear cap for Oubre.

I just think Josh Jackson has shown some level of potential where he should have returned something, a future protected 1st rounder?

Didn't need cap space for Oubre, needed cap space for Rubio.

Jackson has not conducted himself with any type of professionalism since he was drafted. Showing up to practice drunk, missing public appearances, arrested, etc. He needed to go

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No surprise everyone has been saying that they wanted to get rid of Jackson. Now have the cap room to sign Rubio and hopefully Oubre. Korver will be bought out.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Not a great trade by any means and the Suns are already being ripped publicly for it but Jackson needed to be moved one way or another so I don't blame them. I can't imagine that JJ does this unless he knows that Oubre is coming back so here's hoping that's the case.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not a great trade by any means and the Suns are already being ripped publicly for it but Jackson needed to be moved one way or another so I don't blame them. I can't imagine that JJ does this unless he knows that Oubre is coming back so here's hoping that's the case.
If the Suns are being ripped for this, it should be for drafting Jackson in the first place. And of course Oubre is coming back. That is more likely now than a week ago. The money has dried up and he is still unsigned. The Suns can easily match whatever offer he gets. They will probably give him more than any offer he gets just as an expression of good will.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Sure, but they're not giving up anything so it's like "Here, take this potential. Enjoy!"

They were going to buy out Korver themselves so it's not like they're changing their own plans.

However with Josh getting in so much trouble here off the court, I'm having a hard time seeing him do better in Memphis unless this is a reality check for him.
Well you’d be kidding yourself if you think the Suns were negotiating from any sort of strength unfortunately. Suns had an asset they essentially had to move at all costs. The Griz completely dictated these terms.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup, all those bad years just to give away at least 4 of those lottery picks for whatever reason. JJ, Len, Chriss, Bender

Ugh.

The only upside I can find in that is that Chriss, Bender, and possibly JJ will all be out of the NBA within the next 2 years. Jackson has the best chance of becoming something worthwhile but he also has the best chance of becoming another cautionary Richard Dumas sort of tale.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm not sure they wouldn't do this regardless of the situation with Oubre, but I do suspect that they already have things worked out with Oubre.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
The only upside I can find in that is that Chriss, Bender, and possibly JJ will all be out of the NBA within the next 2 years. Jackson has the best chance of becoming something worthwhile but he also has the best chance of becoming another cautionary Richard Dumas sort of tale.

JJ NEVER came close to the promise that Dumas showed. Had it not been for drugs, Dumas was on his way to stardom. Scoring and defense. Kid was gonna be a star for Phx

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
If the Suns are being ripped for this, it should be for drafting Jackson in the first place.

These same people that are ripping JJ and the Suns right now, were trashing Jackson before but now that he's been traded, he's all of a sudden a nice young piece with untapped potential that we gave away. lol

I'm not sure they wouldn't do this regardless of the situation with Oubre, but I do suspect that they already have things worked out with Oubre.

Who knows, I just find it hard to believe that JJ would only go into the season with Bridges and a rookie to man the 3 spot, especially after preaching that we need more vets on the team.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think JJ comes back to bite us, i feel we gave up on him too soon. What he's been doing isn't a good thing, but couple that with the Suns organization as a whole, then he was bound to fail.

Idk, I'm just not into giving up on guys. Like Warren, he was one of my guys for a while there and was a little sad to see him go.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cant believe we got another pg while dumping Melton.

We still have 6 of them. I think 2 of them still have to go.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
on THAT night, who would YOU have picked at 4?
Of the four top rated players in that draft--by everyone--two are complete busts, one is a disappointment and still could be a bust, and one is OK. Tatum had a great rookie year but has settled back to more of an average player.

I was thrilled with Jackson. I would have liked Tatum. I would have taken Ball over Jackson given the opportunity.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the four top rated players in that draft--by everyone--two are complete busts, one is a disappointment and still could be a bust, and one is OK. Tatum had a great rookie year but has settled back to more of an average player.

I was thrilled with Jackson. I would have liked Tatum. I would have taken Ball over Jackson given the opportunity.

So blaming this bust on McD is not really truthful (not referring to you), since he was pretty much the consensus pick at 4

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
JJ NEVER came close to the promise that Dumas showed. Had it not been for drugs, Dumas was on his way to stardom. Scoring and defense. Kid was gonna be a star for Phx

No, kid was gonna be traded for Rodman the day he got busted for drugs.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
James Jones is a neophyte as a GM, but already a seasoned vet at selling low.

You're not even going to give a talented but enigmatic #4 pick a chance with a legitimate NBA coaching staff?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So blaming this bust on McD is not really truthful (not referring to you), since he was pretty much the consensus pick at 4
Personally think he should get the blame and I also believe he should get the credit for picks like Booker as well. He was the GM that ultimately made the decision while having far more information to go off of than just about anyone outside of NBA front offices. He easily could have made a decision that went against the media consensus, but in this case he didn't.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cant believe we got another pg while dumping Melton.

We still have 6 of them. I think 2 of them still have to go.

It's like James Jones is trying to prove something to McD.

"You had how long and you couldn't get a PG? I've got a half dozen guaranteed, traded 1 away, and still haven't finished Summer League"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave