Welcome Cam Johnson

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I did not but Culver is much more versatile and younger than Johnson without health-issues therefore a much better better prospect.

Age doesnt make a player better. Marquese Chriss and Dragan Bender were young. So was/is Josh Jackson.

Look at Butler. He was older coming out. More mature.

Versatile? Yeah but not great at anything. Most observers are pretty certain Cam Johnson will be a good NBA shooter, which addresses the Suns greatest weakness.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Clarke at least would have filled a need. Cam Johnson was a questionable pick at a position at which we are already overloaded...unless the plan is to let Oubre walk, in which case it is that much worse.

The following article frightens the heck out of me:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BAgIEAo&usg=AOvVaw1EY50Ke_DBGHiEVJ2ofjYL&cf=1

Filled a need? And undersized big who cant shoot?

You do realize the #1 goal in basketball is to put the spherical object through the basket? Jumping high and having long arms dont win basketball games. I didnt like Josh Jackson coming out because he wasnt a good shooter. It's rare that bad shooters become good shooters in the NBA. Rare.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Age doesnt make a player better. Marquese Chriss and Dragan Bender were young. So was/is Josh Jackson.

Versatile? Yeah but not great at anything. Most observers are pretty certain Cam Johnson will be a good NBA shooter, which addresses the Suns greatest weakness.

The Suns' greatest weaknesses are lack of a starting point guard and lack of a starting power forward. They have done nothing to address either weakness except to acquire back-ups to their non-existent starters.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Filled a need? And undersized big who cant shoot?

You do realize the #1 goal in basketball is to put the spherical object through the basket? Jumping high and having long arms dont win basketball games. I didnt like Josh Jackson coming out because he wasnt a good shooter. It's rare that bad shooters become good shooters in the NBA. Rare.

Yep, I’m not super excited about the moves made this week but I was also cryin about the Suns drafting guys that couldn’t shoot a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only player on the team who's a worse passer than Booker is Jackson.
Jackson can make difficult passes quite naturally. He makes dumb passes preternaturally.

Booker’s got consistently poor vision and sloppy handles.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The Suns' greatest weaknesses are lack of a starting point guard and lack of a starting power forward. They have done nothing to address either weakness except to acquire back-ups to their non-existent starters.

Hyperbole.

They DID add a PF, Dario Saric. And he can start, and has started.

I think Saric is a decent starter on a good team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackson can make difficult passes quite naturally. He makes dumb passes preternaturally.

Booker’s got consistently poor vision and sloppy handles.

I think that's quite an overstatement. As the season progressed and he got healthier, his passing and his ball handling improved considerably from the prior seasons. He still can't handle the double team out top and he has no idea how to make an entry pass (or Ayton has no idea how to set up for one) but he was making some very nice passes consistently late in the season. He still needs to improve but he has grown quite a bit running the point here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think that's quite an overstatement. As the season progressed and he got healthier, his passing and his ball handling improved considerably from the prior seasons. He still can't handle the double team out top and he has no idea how to make an entry pass (or Ayton has no idea how to set up for one) but he was making some very nice passes consistently late in the season. He still needs to improve but he has grown quite a bit running the point here.
I remember seeing that at his best, he was one of the best players playing the point guard position in the league, when compared with other PGs. It did sacrifice his effectiveness as a SG, but let's definitely not rewrite history and keep running the narrative that he's horrible playing the point. (not saying you believe this Steve, I'm generalizing)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I remember seeing that at his best, he was one of the best players playing the point guard position in the league, when compared with other PGs. It did sacrifice his effectiveness as a SG, but let's definitely not rewrite history and keep running the narrative that he's horrible playing the point. (not saying you believe this Steve, I'm generalizing)
It's hard to argue he's terrible when he averages 6 assists a game. When you look around the league, 6 assists is very respectible. Now if we are talking about his turn overs, yes he can improve on that.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's hard to argue he's terrible when he averages 6 assists a game. When you look around the league, 6 assists is very respectible. Now if we are talking about his turn overs, yes he can improve on that.

He was top 15 in the league in assists.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And the Suns are going to spread the court even more with Cam Johnson, Mikal Bridges and Ty Jerome.

It will cost teams to double team Booker especially with another point guard or combo guard who can distribute which they have yet to add.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And the Suns are going to spread the court even more with Cam Johnson, Mikal Bridges and Ty Jerome.

It will cost teams to double team Booker especially with another point guard or combo guard who can distribute which they have yet to add.

And which it seems they don't plan to add, and Booker is not a good enough passer to make opponents pay.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

My point all last year, is it is a team sport. Over and over you could see the doubles on Booker coming. Teammates have to see that, too. Someone needed to make themselves available to let Bokker make the easy pass. Whoever was open need to roll to the basket. That should force someone to cover the hoop. At that point whoever is open needs to get to the open spot they can make a shot. All season I saw them give Booker the ball, he would drive to the sideline where he could get doubled easier, and all his teammates would run away from him to thier spots hoping he could hit them with a pass. If I can see this, why couldn't the coaches on the sidelines. Something was not right about their strategy when Booker got doubled.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Age doesnt make a player better.

No, it just does make a player more promising.

I wish Johnson was a physical specimen Butler was.

Furthermore, I could list countless players who were old coming out and did not even make to the NBA.

So, I just don't see how advanced age could count as a positive.

Versatile? Yeah but not great at anything.

If he was that versaite and was great at anything he would be in a competition to be picked up at #3.

Most observers are pretty certain Cam Johnson will be a good NBA shooter, which addresses the Suns greatest weakness.

Come on now, pretty certain? Noone is certain, noone can be certain.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point all last year, is it is a team sport. Over and over you could see the doubles on Booker coming. Teammates have to see that, too. Someone needed to make themselves available to let Bokker make the easy pass. Whoever was open need to roll to the basket. That should force someone to cover the hoop. At that point whoever is open needs to get to the open spot they can make a shot. All season I saw them give Booker the ball, he would drive to the sideline where he could get doubled easier, and all his teammates would run away from him to thier spots hoping he could hit them with a pass. If I can see this, why couldn't the coaches on the sidelines. Something was not right about their strategy when Booker got doubled.

Hopefully this is about to change with new coaching and a full season of having someone next to Booker who can help distribute and take the pressure off.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No, it just does make a player more promising.

Not true. It just means they have more time to develop if they havent yet. If they are a knucklehead, more time means nothing.

I wish Johnson was a physical specimen Butler was.

Furthermore, I could list countless players who were old coming out and did not even make to the NBA.

I'm not saying he is the physical specimen, only that sometimes these senior prospects are more mentally mature.

So, I just don't see how advanced age could count as a positive.

Maturity. A lot of these 19 years dont make it because they lack maturity and work ethic.

If he was that versaite and was great at anything he would be in a competition to be picked up at #3.

Culver or Johnson? Culver is pretty good at everything at the college level, but isn't great at anything. Not a good shooter, and the Suns need shooting badly. Drafting Culver just ensured more bad shooting. Same with White. Also adding Saric....another plus shooter. Surround Booker, Ayton, and hopefully soon to be acquired point guard with a plethora of shooters.

Come on now, pretty certain? Noone is certain, noone can be certain

Hence, pretty certain. Shooting tends to translate, just like rebounding.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hopefully this is about to change with new coaching and a full season of having someone next to Booker who can help distribute and take the pressure off.

And who would that someone next to Booker be?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Not if you're not athletic enough to get your shot off in the NBA. Just ask Jimmer Fredette, Nik Stauskas and Doug McDermott.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on now, pretty certain? Noone is certain, noone can be certain.

I agree no one can be certain but I think that's why he said pretty certain and I agree with that too. I'm pretty certain that he will be a good NBA shooter. I don't know if he will be a good NBA player, there's so much more to it that just being a pretty good shooter. But with his height and his quick release, I don't know why he'd be a lesser shooter in the pros than he has been. And while I worry about some things regarding Cam, work ethic isn't one of them.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who do you want it to be??

In terms of point guards who are realistically available? D'Angelo Russell (who is now reported as going to the Lakers) or Darren Collison (who is reported as not being interested in coming here).

I maintain that your point only holds if they actually acquire that mythical point guard, and I have yet to hear or see any indication that they are even bringing in someone better than Tyler Johnson.