What is the plan?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
There was an article I just read tonight posted last week before the draft. It was saying that a player cannot be traded until he's under contract for that season. Johnson not picking up his option the Suns could not trade him. The article mentioned that prior to the draft (and I assume after) had a team wanted Johnson's expiring contract in a deal with us, or a three way deal, he could have been included had he picked up his option already. Knowing the Suns were looking to make moves prior to the draft, and assuming he wanted to stay in Phoenix, his agent could have told him to wait until after the draft to pick up his option. The latest he could wait according to the article was June 30. If July 1 hit and he had not picked up his option, we would be free and clear of all 19.5 million of it and he would be a free agent. No way he wanted to chance that. We could not extend him, or anything until he excercised that option or let it lapse, or renounce it himself. Now that he finally took it, we can figure out what we want to do.
I very highly doubt that his 19.5m expiring salary had much value right now prior to free agency. His value will be at it's highest at around the trade deadline when teams want to start posturing for 2020 free agency. Of course there is some possibility that a team would be willing to trade a multi year contract with a similar salary in order to stretch Tyler's contract before free agency, but I just don't imagine that would have netted us a good PG which is what would have to come in return.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sorta. If he picked up his option before the draft he could've been traded anywhere without being able to choose where he wanted to go. Since he waited, he will still get paid (even though the stretch provision helps our cap relief, he still gets the same amount) and he gets to choose where he wants to go.

He can have his cake and eat it too
How does he get to choose now? That’s just inaccurate. He just can’t be included in a trade for this years draft picks.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say anyone was down on Saric, I asked why people are so down on acquiring him. He didn't cost much to acquire and he's not signed longterm, he's not standing in the way of addressing that position longterm if an option presents itself.

It seems like you're refusing to acknowledge what he does well so you can focus on him being who his scouting report said he'd be, like that's the worst thing possible. He is a proven NBA level player, like it or not. He was Philly's starting PF on their playoff run last season and was only traded so they could get a chance at a star with Jimmy Butler. Saric isn't great but he's also not terrible, he's better than what we had last year. I really don't get why you're against giving him a look.

We don't have the money or assets to address PF AND PG longterm this offseason, we can do one or the other and it seems like the Suns have opted for a stop gap PF while hoping to address a more longterm PG option in free agency.

What did you want the Suns to do to address the PF spot this season?

Down on Saric....down on acquiring him. Well that is splitting hairs. So look at the reverse. Why would anybody be excited about this guy either? Sure he didn't cost much but a player like him SHOULDN'T cost much either. Did Philly feel they had a better starter?

Also, what does he do well exactly in your opinion? He is a 10.6/5.6 guy this season who isn't athletic and a horrible defender. He is a guy for his size that plays under the rim. He is a bench player and not our answer for the starting PF position. He is a bench body that can give you a few points and rebounds off the bench. What am I not giving him credit for exactly?

I am still holding out hope on a signing a PG that is legit. However, if that was the intent, the Suns could have positioned themselves to take a young PF. That would have been my preference. If the Suns picked up a young PG in the draft my preference would have been to find a PF in the NBA better than Saric. Yes, I understand the challenges there with out cap and this team in general but you asked me what I wanted verses what I thought was possible.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, and the centerpiece of that trade was Covington, not Saric (who was a throw-in for salary matching purposes).
Lol. Wrong. But okay believe that.

Those two have very similar numbers with the defensive advantage considerably in covington’s favor but age in saric’s favor. Either one wouldn’t be worth butler individually. It was the combination of both that created value.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you serious with this? They had to give up talent to land butler.

I think you missed my point. There was nobody better to start over him. People are suggesting because he started he was starting material.

That b.s. and you know it. There are rosters all over the NBA that have guys who are probably not starting material.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How does he get to choose now? That’s just inaccurate. He just can’t be included in a trade for this years draft picks.

The only control he had was to wait til after the draft to opt in.

It’s $19 million. I seriously doubt he was just too busy to opt in earlier. He chose the day for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Jackson reportedly does not have trade value. I'm sure some team would sign him if the Suns should waive him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

He can still be traded but it's just less likely. He only had a small chance of being traded anyways.

Draft day are where some weird trades can take place. It's just more likely he doesn't get traded and he gets to choose where he wants to go. He's playing the odds.

Make sense now?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Josh Jackson reportedly does not have trade value. I'm sure some team would sign him if the Suns should waive him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The Suns don't want to eat his salary. They would have cut him outright by now if they were that motivated.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns don't want to eat his salary. They would have cut him outright by now if they were that motivated.

I agree, the Suns don't want to eat the salary. Maybe they keep him and hope to tap his upside.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree, the Suns don't want to eat the salary. Maybe they keep him and hope to tap his upside.

That's what they needed to do, even before the most recent incident.

Stop giving away players for pennies on the dollar.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No chance. He is gone as soon as all the major free agents choose their teams. There will be cap space left over, and someone will be willing to take him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No chance. He is gone as soon as all the major free agents choose their teams. There will be cap space left over, and someone will be willing to take him.

Another nightmare scenario for me: Jackson to the Knicks for Frank Ntilikina, who is undeservedly named the starting point guard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the Suns should take a wait see mode. Dumping Josh without a better option is the wrong way to go IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The only control he had was to wait til after the draft to opt in.

It’s $19 million. I seriously doubt he was just too busy to opt in earlier. He chose the day for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But he still doesn’t have control. He could still be traded away. He had, and continues to have, ZERO control over where he plays. Timing just meant he couldn’t be traded for draft picks in this draft. Tell me where I’m wrong.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another nightmare scenario for me: Jackson to the Knicks for Frank Ntilikina, who is undeservedly named the starting point guard.

Yeah he is pretty horrible. But honestly I would take him over Cory Joseph, because at least he is young and there is a snowball's chance he improves.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah he is pretty horrible. But honestly I would take him over Cory Joseph, because at least he is young and there is a snowball's chance he improves.

I think they are basically the same player.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Suns should take a wait see mode. Dumping Josh without a better option is the wrong way to go IMO.

Multiple people in local media are saying he will never see another minute on the floor for the suns. They want him gone.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He can still be traded but it's just less likely. He only had a small chance of being traded anyways.

Draft day are where some weird trades can take place. It's just more likely he doesn't get traded and he gets to choose where he wants to go. He's playing the odds.

Make sense now?
So back to my original point . . . people think that waiting to exercise indicates he wants to stay in Phoenix over getting traded elsewhere.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
But he still doesn’t have control. He could still be traded away. He had, and continues to have, ZERO control over where he plays. Timing just meant he couldn’t be traded for draft picks in this draft. Tell me where I’m wrong.

Yes or no and when (within a window) :shrug:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
So back to my original point . . . people think that waiting to exercise indicates he wants to stay in Phoenix over getting traded elsewhere.

So why do you think he waited til the day after the drat to opt in?
Just a random choice?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So why do you think he waited til the day after the drat to opt in?
Just a random choice?

My guess: He now knows he's the starting point point guard here, so he can get his big money his last year, and he thinks he can earn a big payday for the future...whereas if the Suns gave any indication he was going to be buried down the depth chart (as he should be), he might have been inclined to turn down the short term money in favor of a long term deal with a better team.