What is the plan?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If it's any consolation, there's this:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Johnson is better than Canaan but is still not a point guard. Saric and Anderson are basically the same player. Ariza before he tanked last year was better than Bridges is at this stage. And our bench is significantly worse.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Joseph finished the season 4th among point guards in defensive RPM. Regularly defending the team’s best player, Joseph provided value every time he stepped on the court.
Yeah barely better....mass hysteria is taking over. Don't let it consume you...watch film read stats.

And Shaq Harrison was highly rated in terms of defensive RPM two seasons ago. Why don't we bring that disaster back while we're at it?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
@1Sun No way Saric and Anderson the same player. Anderson was always out of position defensively and his shot completely abandoned him. Once we traded him he didn't play were he went. Wheras Saric is playing wherever he goes. I would say we traded a below average guy, for eventually getting an average replacement.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
By itself, probably not. But a full healthy season from Booker and Tyler probably would.

What are the chances of that. One reason we need an above average PG is so we are covered when Bokker gets injured.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
@1Sun No way Saric and Anderson the same player. Anderson was always out of position defensively and his shot completely abandoned him. Once we traded him he didn't play were he went. Wheras Saric is playing wherever he goes. I would say we traded a below average guy, for eventually getting an average replacement.

Saric's defense is every bit as bad as Anderson's, if not worse.

In terms of shooting, Anderson actually had better numbers the season before last than Saric had last year.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Current roster

Guaranteed
1. T. Johnson
2. Booker
3. Bridges
4. Saric
5. Ayton
6. Baynes
7. Jackson
8. Okobo
9. Melton
10. C Johnson
11. Jerome
12. Lecque

Non-guaranteed
Spalding
Fredette

Cap holds
Oubre
Daniels
Bender
Crawford
Holmes

With Oubre we are at 13 with 2 open roster spots + 2 way players. I imagine one of Okobo or Melton will be traded and Jackson could also be on the move.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And Shaq Harrison was highly rated in terms of defensive RPM two seasons ago. Why don't we bring that disaster back while we're at it?
Keep selling all that negative cause you got lots buying it up. You know darn well Shaq couldn't carry Joseph's jock. I for one would love to have him here in Phx

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Current roster

Guaranteed
1. T. Johnson
2. Booker
3. Bridges
4. Saric
5. Ayton
6. Baynes
7. Jackson
8. Okobo
9. Melton
10. C Johnson
11. Jerome
12. Lecque

Non-guaranteed
Spalding
Fredette

Cap holds
Oubre
Daniels
Bender
Crawford
Holmes

With Oubre we are at 13 with 2 open roster spots + 2 way players. I imagine one of Okobo or Melton will be traded and Jackson could also be on the move.

There are 4 NBA players on that roster. 5 if we re-sign Oubre (which is looking less and less likely).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cory Joseph is repped by Rich Paul. The Suns did not trade Bledsoe, fire Watson, and ignore Garland because of Rich Paul to overpay a backup he represents. It's not happening. Gambo is talking out his ....

I thought he said Warren and Jackson weren't being dealt? That changed pretty quick. Anyone who chooses to believe him at this point will bring up what he said months ago in an effort to spin him as "being right". Just recently he said Warren wasn't being dealt, then he was. He also said yesterday that Coby White was the pick and what happened? Oh, another trade. His own excuse is that he can't predict trades. He said that on Twitter so now he can't predict trades but he wants his fans to use his guesses on trades to support him, right or wrong. He speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cory Joseph is repped by Rich Paul. The Suns did not trade Bledsoe, fire Watson, and ignore Garland because of Rich Paul to overpay a backup he represents. It's not happening. Gambo is talking out his ....

I thought he said Warren and Jackson weren't being dealt? That changed pretty quick. Anyone who chooses to believe him at this point will bring up what he said months ago in an effort to spin him as "being right". Just recently he said Warren wasn't being dealt, then he was. He also said yesterday that Coby White was the pick and what happened? Oh, another trade. His own excuse is that he can't predict trades. He said that on Twitter so now he can't predict trades but he wants his fans to use his guesses on trades to support him, right or wrong. He speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

You forget that the Suns are now run by someone who will do anything to appease Lebron James. Don't be surprised if signing Joseph for far more than he's worth is yet another bone James Jones is throwing Lebron.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Cory Joseph is repped by Rich Paul. The Suns did not trade Bledsoe, fire Watson, and ignore Garland because of Rich Paul to overpay a backup he represents. It's not happening. Gambo is talking out his dirt hole.

FTFY

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of that. One reason we need an above average PG is so we are covered when Bokker gets injured.

I figure we're screwed if Booker gets injured so that wouldn't be my main reason for wanting an above average PG. I just think a good PG is essential in the game today. But you're not wrong on Devin, so far we have every reason to question whether he'll get through a season healthy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Saric is a good pickup. He’s not going to be great but he’s a heady player. And he’s got some size to help Ayton at least keep other players off the boards. I’ll bet saric’s rebound numbers stay close to his averages but Ayton’s go up bc he’s battling fewer bigs.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saric is a good pickup. He’s not going to be great but he’s a heady player. And he’s got some size to help Ayton at least keep other players off the boards. I’ll bet saric’s rebound numbers stay close to his averages but Ayton’s go up bc he’s battling fewer bigs.

What makes you say that? Saric is smaller (thinner), weaker and softer than Bender.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea. No one does other than him, his agent, his family and friends I suppose.
Last week everybody was wondering why he hadn’t picked up the option when everybody else was opting in and opting out.

I don’t know either but that’s my theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I figure we're screwed if Booker gets injured so that wouldn't be my main reason for wanting an above average PG. I just think a good PG is essential in the game today. But you're not wrong on Devin, so far we have every reason to question whether he'll get through a season healthy.

At this point, we're screwed whether or not Booker gets injured...and he is bound to get injured, given that Ayton and he will be playing 2 on 5 all season...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is s horrible defender and not a good rebounder either. Makes sense because good rebounders tend to be decent defenders. The types that fight for position. Saric at his height should be much better on the boards. Watch him play. He isn't athletic at all and has trouble fighting for position with guys his size.

This guys is nothing but someone who you would use to give someone else a breather off the bench.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is s horrible defender and not a good rebounder either. Makes sense because good rebounders tend to be decent defenders. The types that fight for position. Saric at his height should be much better on the boards. Watch him play. He isn't athletic at all and has trouble fighting for position with guys his size.

This guys is nothing but someone who you would use to give someone else a breather off the bench.

Saric's rebounds per game don't look great but he has played next to Embiid and Karl-Anthony Towns his whole career. Is that an excuse? No, but knowing he's played next to 2 good rebounding Centers says that there are less boards available for him to grab. He is a true stretch 4 that isn't over the hill like Anderson or undeveloped like Bender. Will he be great? I doubt it but he should be average or above average for us.

He wasn't happy in Minnesota either but he's excited to get a fresh start here and to be playing for Monty. I'm fine with him being our PF next year for $3.5 million compared to overpaying for someone that may or may not fit next to Ayton. At least we know that Saric is used to playing with real Centers and has experience playing for Monty as well.

I don't see why some people are so down on acquiring Saric. I know the rumors of Julius Randle signing here got people excited but he was going to cost $15+ million a year and he's also not a stretch big so his fit next to Ayton was questionable, at best. Signing Randle would kill any and all chances of signing a starting PG that cost more than the league minimum or so.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric's rebounds per game don't look great but he has played next to Embiid and Karl-Anthony Towns his whole career. Is that an excuse? No, but knowing he's played next to 2 good rebounding Centers says that there are less boards available for him to grab. He is a true stretch 4 that isn't over the hill like Anderson or undeveloped like Bender. Will he be great? I doubt it but he should be average or above average for us.

He wasn't happy in Minnesota either but he's excited to get a fresh start here and to be playing for Monty. I'm fine with him being our PF next year for $3.5 million compared to overpaying for someone that may or may not fit next to Ayton. At least we know that Saric is used to playing with real Centers and has experience playing for Monty as well.

I don't see why some people are so down on acquiring Saric. I know the rumors of Julius Randle signing here got people excited but he was going to cost $15+ million a year and he's also not a stretch big so his fit next to Ayton was questionable, at best. Signing Randle would kill any and all chances of signing a starting PG that cost more than the league minimum or so.

How can you be "down" on a player you were never "high" on? It's not like I am downplaying a guy with a great stat line or someone who I watched on film play his size as a 6'10" guy forcing his will on others.

We are talking about a guy who while being drafted had a scouting report that says his defense was suspect and couldn't hold his own against guys his size. That has carried over into the NBA.

This isn't new. It's been his consistent characteristics. It matches his scouting report dating back to the draft. I am simply calling out the obvious. We know what we are getting in this guy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How can you be "down" on a player you were never "high" on? It's not like I am downplaying a guy with a great stat line or someone who I watched on film play his size as a 6'10" guy forcing his will on others.

We are talking about a guy who while being drafted had a scouting report that says his defense was suspect and couldn't hold his own against guys his size. That has carried over into the NBA.

This isn't new. It's been his consistent characteristics. It matches his scouting report dating back to the draft. I am simply calling out the obvious. We know what we are getting in this guy.

I didn't say anyone was down on Saric, I asked why people are so down on acquiring him. He didn't cost much to acquire and he's not signed longterm, he's not standing in the way of addressing that position longterm if an option presents itself.

It seems like you're refusing to acknowledge what he does well so you can focus on him being who his scouting report said he'd be, like that's the worst thing possible. He is a proven NBA level player, like it or not. He was Philly's starting PF on their playoff run last season and was only traded so they could get a chance at a star with Jimmy Butler. Saric isn't great but he's also not terrible, he's better than what we had last year. I really don't get why you're against giving him a look.

We don't have the money or assets to address PF AND PG longterm this offseason, we can do one or the other and it seems like the Suns have opted for a stop gap PF while hoping to address a more longterm PG option in free agency.

What did you want the Suns to do to address the PF spot this season?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
So . . . he . . . was afraid to . . . get trade away from the suns?!? That’s what you’re saying?

Sorta. If he picked up his option before the draft he could've been traded anywhere without being able to choose where he wanted to go. Since he waited, he will still get paid (even though the stretch provision helps our cap relief, he still gets the same amount) and he gets to choose where he wants to go.

He can have his cake and eat it too

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So . . . he . . . was afraid to . . . get trade away from the suns?!? That’s what you’re saying?
There was an article I just read tonight posted last week before the draft. It was saying that a player cannot be traded until he's under contract for that season. Johnson not picking up his option the Suns could not trade him. The article mentioned that prior to the draft (and I assume after) had a team wanted Johnson's expiring contract in a deal with us, or a three way deal, he could have been included had he picked up his option already. Knowing the Suns were looking to make moves prior to the draft, and assuming he wanted to stay in Phoenix, his agent could have told him to wait until after the draft to pick up his option. The latest he could wait according to the article was June 30. If July 1 hit and he had not picked up his option, we would be free and clear of all 19.5 million of it and he would be a free agent. No way he wanted to chance that. We could not extend him, or anything until he excercised that option or let it lapse, or renounce it himself. Now that he finally took it, we can figure out what we want to do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn