Welcome Cam Johnson

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like to think about every option.

We do not know anything about this draft until we hear something concrete from the Suns front office. Drafting Ty Jerome made sense. Another small forward...not so much.
I think they are getting rid of Josh Jackson before the season starts—one way or another. Then that pick makes sense. They are finished with poor shooting wings (who are bad citizens).

I still have my doubts about James Jones but it looks to me like he is trying to change the culture of this team. McD obviously valued athleticism above everything. JJ seems to like hard nosed smart competitors who can shoot and athleticism is lower on his priority list.

At least it’s something different. Athletic knuckleheads are hard to cheer for.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think they are getting rid of Josh Jackson before the season starts—one way or another. Then that pick makes sense. They are finished with poor shooting wings (who are bad citizens).

I know, why don't they just draft athletic players that can shoot, handle the ball well, rebound, defend, pass and act responsibly?

Stupid Suns

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
In interviews, when Jones discussed the Suns biggest needs, he always said “perimeter shooting from the wing”. He clearly saw it as a big need. The value of drafting Johnson at #11 was a gross misuse of resources, but the player himself, in a vacuum, fills what Jones perceived as one of the Suns biggest needs.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
In interviews, when Jones discussed the Suns biggest needs, he always said “perimeter shooting from the wing”. He clearly saw it as a big need. The value of drafting Johnson at #11 was a gross misuse of resources, but the player himself, in a vacuum, fills what Jones perceived as one of the Suns biggest needs.

Someone said it earlier, Houston style.

If Booker and Ayton could figure out how to run the PNR you spot up 3 shooters at the line and there you go. Individually those 2 have the perfect skill set. They just never seemed to mesh last season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Of course it totally ignored that our biggest needs were actually a starting point guard and starting power forward, and Booker, Bridges and Warren provided plenty of shooting from the wing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We all knew that the players between 6 and 30 in this draft are all a crap shoot anyway. Any of them could have gone anywhere. This guy was not on my radar but really I do not care if he fills a need adequately.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drafting another player that can flat out shoot made a ton of sense for the poor shooting Suns.

Can never have enough shooters but the Suns had more pressing needs than small forward. Bridges should mostly fill this role.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I still have my doubts about James Jones but it looks to me like he is trying to change the culture of this team. McD obviously valued athleticism above everything. JJ seems to like hard nosed smart competitors who can shoot and athleticism is lower on his priority list.

At least it’s something different. Athletic knuckleheads are hard to cheer for.

I'm not fond of dumping Josh Jackson and he apparently does not have much trade value. They should keep him unless they have better options.

If the Suns want to add another shooter, I'm good with it because Cam had first round value. I'm anxious to hear how the Suns plan to use these players. I want to hear it from the Suns front office.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Can never have enough shooters but the Suns had more pressing needs than small forward. Bridges should mostly fill this role.

Bridges may assume the responsibilities of a 1, 2 3, or 4 in different lineups.
He did last year.

Cotton would love the modern NBA.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Of course it totally ignored that our biggest needs were actually a starting point guard and starting power forward, and Booker, Bridges and Warren provided plenty of shooting from the wing.
Saric is our starting PF, but I agree that we still have a HUGE starting PG need.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saric is our starting PF, but I agree that we still have a HUGE starting PG need.

On any team that would hope to be competitive, Saric is a back-up, possibly even third stringer, not a starter.

Of course, we agree about the biggest need being starting point guard, and it appears that need will go unaddressed for a third consecutive year.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He sorta did that point forward thing at times last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And wasn't good at it. Like Cam Johnson, Bridges really can't create for himself or others. In fact, at this point, Booker is the only one who can do both...sort of, and Jerome is the only one who can create for others...sort of. Nobody on the roster can do it enough to make up for the overall lack of playmakers on the roster. There are too many players who are too dependent on creators we don't have.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know the more I look at this guy the more I like him.

Do you know he was 41 of 81 from shots of 25 feet plus.

and 75 of 162 - 46% from NBA 3 pt range overall.

This dude can shoot the crap out of the ball, and he has a quick release and can shoot very well coming off screens.

He is going to be fantastic just to camp out in the corners. He has really no ability to do anything but shoot on offense - but that is more than good enough if he does it at an elite level.

Also his defense is not quite as bad as I originally thought. I think he is pretty much strictly a small forward however, but he is not a horrible athlete and I think he will be adequate against most 3's.

JerkFace

Reaction score
On any team that would hope to be competitive, Saric is a back-up, possibly even third stringer, not a starter.

Of course, we agree about the biggest need being starting point guard, and it appears that need will go unaddressed for a third consecutive year.
He was a starter and put up good numbers for a Philadelphia team that made the Playoffs. Let’s not let facts get in the way though.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You know the more I look at this guy the more I like him.

Do you know he was 41 of 81 from shots of 25 feet plus.

and 75 of 162 - 46% from NBA 3 pt range overall.

This dude can shoot the crap out of the ball, and he has a quick release and can shoot very well coming off screens.

He is going to be fantastic just to camp out in the corners. He has really no ability to do anything but shoot on offense - but that is more than good enough if he does it at an elite level.

Also his defense is not quite as bad as I originally thought. I think he is pretty much strictly a small forward however, but he is not a horrible athlete and I think he will be adequate against most 3's.

A lot of this is that he had Coby White creating shots for him, both directly and indirectly, with his driving ability. Who on the Suns can do that?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He was a starter and put up good numbers for a Philadelphia team that made the Playoffs. Let’s not let facts get in the way though.

And most recently, he wasn't good enough to start even half the time for a Minnesota team that was one of the worst in the league, but by all means let's cherry pick facts to suit our own narrative, rather than seeing the facts as they are right now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And most recently, he wasn't good enough to start even half the time for a Minnesota team that was one of the worst in the league, but by all means let's cherry pick facts to suit our own narrative, rather than seeing the facts as they are right now.
Eh I’d ignore last year. Minny was a mess and he’s reunited with a coach from a staff who knew how to use him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Must been games I missed. Never saw that. Not once.
Swore I saw him run the PNR at least a few times. IMO he's a better passer than Booker.

This mostly corner 3s but there are a good number of PG type plays made by Bridges.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: