Welcome Cam Johnson

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not trying to single you out but I've seen this mentioned a few times now by a few different people and I'm curious why nothing was said about his draft history when he was hired? I remember everyone, for the most part, being on board with hiring him. I don't recall anyone bashing the signing or mentioning he was terrible at drafting players. What changed over the last month?
I think people were just happy to get a guy that had experience and was a part of playoff teams. The draft is definitely his warts. Go look at them. They speak for themselves.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought if I remember right, he was supposedly better at trades?

Too bad James Jones appears to be handling that component, and other than lucking into Oubre, I think calling Jones incompetent in that department is being kind to him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm thinking Jeff Bowers reports to James Jones so he owns the draft.

Considering Cam Johnson didn't work out for the Suns, but Bower was obsessed with him as a prospective high school recruit for Marist College (which should tell you all you need to know about Johnson's talent ceiling, since Marist College has sent only one player to the NBA...ever), it stands to reason that Bower was the one who made the decision at #11.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking Jeff Bowers reports to James Jones so he owns the draft.

You honestly don't think that was a major factor? It was all just coincidence and he ended up here? We see it all the time in sports.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You honestly don't think that was a major factor? It was all just coincidence and he ended up here? We see it all the time in sports.

Yeah...Why couldn't Bower and Monty actually bring in the GOOD players with whom they have relationships???

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm simply saying James Jones owns the draft as the Suns GM.

Not if he is the GM in name only, and Sarver is actually the one making the calls. Of course, if that is the case, James Jones is entirely useless and not worth the position or the money.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm simply saying James Jones owns the draft as the Suns GM.
This. I'm sure Bowers had some say in it and he may very well have been the guy that got Jones interested in him, but it was still Jones that ultimately bought off on it and is putting his own rep on the line in the process.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Considering Cam Johnson didn't work out for the Suns, but Bower was obsessed with him as a prospective high school recruit for Marist College (which should tell you all you need to know about Johnson's talent ceiling, since Marist College has sent only one player to the NBA...ever), it stands to reason that Bower was the one who made the decision at #11.

He did workout for the suns. He said so during his interview on burns and Gambo's show

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if he is the GM in name only, and Sarver is actually the one making the calls. Of course, if that is the case, James Jones is entirely useless and not worth the position or the money.

That’s pure speculation on your part and James Jones has been out in front since he got the job. It’s a ridiculous notion.

It’s fair to say Bower played a big role.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thought, could the Suns have drafted Cam Johnson for another team in a trade yet to be consummated?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Another thought, could the Suns have drafted Cam Johnson for another team in a trade yet to be consummated?

No, because it would have had to be agreed to in principle first for the pick to be made, in which case it would have been reported, just like all of the other trades.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, because it would have had to be agreed to in principle first for the pick to be made, in which case it would have been reported, just like all of the other trades.

Draft rights can be traded before players are signed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Omg for Pete’s sake.

From now on I’m just posting “OSTD”= other shoe to drop. It’s the ASFN mental disorder that’s the equivalent of PTSD.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Omg for Pete’s sake.

From now on I’m just posting “OSTD”= other shoe to drop. It’s the ASFN mental disorder that’s the equivalent of PTSD.

I like to think about every option.

We do not know anything about this draft until we hear something concrete from the Suns front office. Drafting Ty Jerome made sense. Another small forward...not so much.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We do not know anything about this draft until we hear something concrete from the Suns front office. Drafting Ty Jerome made sense. Another small forward...not so much.

Unless, of course, the plan is to let Oubre walk, with Bridges replacing Oubre in the starting line-up and Johnson replacing Bridges off the bench...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Drafting another player that can flat out shoot made a ton of sense for the poor shooting Suns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson