Only one starter below Kyler Murray in new QB rankings

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I would not compare Murray to Wilson till he shows it as a pro. As far as college QBs coming out, sure the comparison can work with Wilson and Mahomes. Honestly, if Murray played another year at Oklahoma it would have been more of the same with gaudy numbers playing the college game... him playing professional ball is the only way we are going to find out

And Patrick Mahomes had 25 starts with fairly gaudy stats, which is why he was always considered a first-round talent coming out.

If Kyler Murray had stayed at Oklahoma and put up video-game numbers for another season, he would've been the consensus top pick despite his height, I think. He made a great decision betting on himself, because he was the top pick and gets paid a year earlier.

But he'd also be losing a first-round WR and four draftable offensive linemen with significant playing experience. It wouldn't be inconceivable for him to have had a Matt Barkley-style regression. That's where the risk of the pick comes in to play.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
And Patrick Mahomes had 25 starts with fairly gaudy stats, which is why he was always considered a first-round talent coming out.

If Kyler Murray had stayed at Oklahoma and put up video-game numbers for another season, he would've been the consensus top pick despite his height, I think. He made a great decision betting on himself, because he was the top pick and gets paid a year earlier.

But he'd also be losing a first-round WR and four draftable offensive linemen with significant playing experience. It wouldn't be inconceivable for him to have had a Matt Barkley-style regression. That's where the risk of the pick comes in to play.

For me where he played, and the amount of top recruits Oklahoma gets with the coach in play, I still do not see how he could drop off much. I think a Matt Barkley regression is of course possible but unlikely after how he shredded Big 12 opponents. I think the only extra games which would show something would be quality over quantity being able to see how he would fare against a team like Alabama again

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For me where he played, and the amount of top recruits Oklahoma gets with the coach in play, I still do not see how he could drop off much. I think a Matt Barkley regression is of course possible but unlikely after how he shredded Big 12 opponents. I think the only extra games which would show something would be quality over quantity being able to see how he would fare against a team like Alabama again

The thing about greatest-ever seasons is that no one has been able to repeat them, that's why they're the greatest ever. We'll never know, though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There’s always a bust risk, bit far fetched to refer to K1’s as enormous. By all accounts he is excellent in the following areas:
Accuracy
Arm strength
Intelligence
Speed
Agility
Hit avoidance
Throwing from angles
Throwing on the run
Reading defenses
Escapability
Tight spiral
Catchable ball

When you factor in his ability to throw from all angles & throw on the run, his 5’10” height means nothing. All it means is that he’ll have a chip on his shoulder that is bigger than him.

IN COLLEGE. He WAS excellent in the following areas IN COLLEGE. Everything tightens up in the NFL. Everything changes, from speed of the game to intricacy of defenses. I'll grant you that speed, agility, hit avoidance and, to a limited ability (the game's faster at this level), escapability. Everything else might not translate to the next level. Football smarts in college don't always add up. You don't always throw a tight spiral and catchable ball when you have 2.3 seconds to throw. And so on. We all HOPE these translate and he's just as good as he was in college, but that's what it is right now: hope. The HYPE is out of control, but I sure HOPE he lives up to it :)

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IN COLLEGE. He WAS excellent in the following areas IN COLLEGE. Everything tightens up in the NFL. Everything changes, from speed of the game to intricacy of defenses. I'll grant you that speed, agility, hit avoidance and, to a limited ability (the game's faster at this level), escapability. Everything else might not translate to the next level. Football smarts in college don't always add up. You don't always throw a tight spiral and catchable ball when you have 2.3 seconds to throw. And so on. We all HOPE these translate and he's just as good as he was in college, but that's what it is right now: hope. The HYPE is out of control, but I sure HOPE he lives up to it :)

Well, if that GREAT IN COLLEGE approach applies to K1, then it should apply to EVERY great QB ,past, present, and future. There should then be no excitement, hoopla, hype, Championship expectations when QB’s like Manning, Rodgers, Roethlesburger, Brees, Luck, Brady, Aikman, Mahomes, etc, etc, etc. in the future, all great college QB’s coming out will be considered guilty until proven innocent. If that measure applies to Murray, then it should apply to every QB coming out of college. Hell, that thought process needs to be applied to every player, regardless of position coming out of college. How dare people get excited about a great college player. We’ll have none of that.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well, if that GREAT IN COLLEGE approach applies to K1, then it should apply to EVERY great QB ,past, present, and future. There should then be no excitement, hoopla, hype, Championship expectations when QB’s like Manning, Rodgers, Roethlesburger, Brees, Luck, Brady, Aikman, Mahomes, etc, etc, etc. in the future, all great college QB’s coming out will be considered guilty until proven innocent. If that measure applies to Murray, then it should apply to every QB coming out of college. Hell, that thought process needs to be applied to every player, regardless of position coming out of college. How dare people get excited about a great college player. We’ll have none of that.
More than 50% of your list didn't go #1 overall and had significant doubts about their play. Only Manning and Luck deserved the kind of hype you guys are giving Kyler. The rest of the players had to forge their legacy on the field in the NFL.

And I still think it's laughable to put Mahomes in the same breath as those guys. It's one year. Take a breath.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Of course there should be excitement, hoopla, and hype. Championship expectations? See, that's where the disconnect begins. I'm waiting for him to show up in an actual game and prove he's a decent NFL QB first. To pile championship expectations on his shoulders is so, so getting ahead of ourselves.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Of course there should be excitement, hoopla, and hype. Championship expectations? See, that's where the disconnect begins. I'm waiting for him to show up in an actual game and prove he's a decent NFL QB first. To pile championship expectations on his shoulders is so, so getting ahead of ourselves.
Dream big?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah, it's all about what a reasonable level of hype is IMO. If I were to sit here and engage in the hype levels of some Murray supporters, and the kid comes out and struggles like most rookies, by game 3 I'll be demoralized and worn out. If he exceeds my expectations, cool.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russell Wilson comp is legit, but only assumes that Murray resembles him "on paper."

For Murray to prove how he compares to Wilson in "real games" figures to be a daunting challenge (the odds of anyone matching or beating Wilson are, by definition, uphill).

Fortunately, we're approaching that point where talk is replaced by production.

Thank God for that.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Mahomes is already better than super overrated Aikman & his super stacked teams.
This year will be telling about whether or not he's "better." Let's see how things go without Kareem Hunt and Tyreek Hill, with a year of tape on him.

I've been a big Mahomes fan since he came out, but just throwing to Kelce and having a questionable running game is going to be concerning.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mahomes is already better than super overrated Aikman & his super stacked teams.

Kansas City last year wasn't stacked? They had 3 All-Pros on offense who weren't Mahomes -- plus two more Pro Bowlers.

OT: Anthony Sherman made the pro bowl last year. Another great Keim move.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kansas City last year wasn't stacked? They had 3 All-Pros on offense who weren't Mahomes -- plus two more Pro Bowlers.

Sherman would have sat on BA's bench for four years and then moved on. Something was better than nothing.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If you don’t think that Murray already has Championship expectations, then you don’t know how he’s wired & how he was raised. He doesn’t play football to be “decent”. He’s played at the championship level from pee wee football through college. We don’t need to place that expectation on him. I’m sure he’ll do that himself.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This year will be telling about whether or not he's "better." Let's see how things go without Kareem Hunt and Tyreek Hill, with a year of tape on him.

I've been a big Mahomes fan since he came out, but just throwing to Kelce and having a questionable running game is going to be concerning.
What is tape going to show that it didn’t week-by-week last year? An obvious regression is expected to happen with a top 5 RB on another team & missing a game-changing WR for at least 8 games. A big one? With a brilliant offensive mind as his HC? Yea, I doubt it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If you don’t think that Murray already has Championship expectations, then you don’t know how he’s wired & how he was raised. He doesn’t play football to be “decent”. He’s played at the championship level from pee wee football through college. We don’t need to place that expectation on him. I’m sure he’ll do that himself.
Of course the goal is always to play to a championship. But how soon is it feasible?

Do you really think Murray's talking himself into this being a championship season? I certainly don't.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What is tape going to show that it didn’t week-by-week last year? An obvious regression is expected to happen with a top 5 RB on another team & missing a game-changing WR for at least 8 games. A big one? With a brilliant offensive mind as his HC? Yea, I doubt it.
Week by week you have a very limited amount of time to digest what a team is doing, and build a gameplan against them, especially in a scenario where you might not play them again for another four years or so depending on which divisions you're matched up against.

His division will now have played against him two times each, and I'm sure will spend ample time installing things in the playbook designed to slow him down, and what he does well.

You don't do a new full install of plays going into a game against one guy. You kinda have what you have in your system.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Murray can’t control how the defense plays when the game is on the line or if his FG kicker shanks a 30 yarder with no time on the clock. But, this kid’s expectations are to perform at a championship level from the 1st day on the field. Without lofty expectations, you will settle for mediocrity in life.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Murray can’t control how the defense plays when the game is on the line or if his FG kicker shanks a 30 yarder with no time on the clock. But, this kid’s expectations are to perform at a championship level from the 1st day on the field. Without lofty expectations, you will settle for mediocrity in life.
Haha, or the opposite, your humility and ability to navigate realistic expectations will be noticed.

For example, I have a buddy who continued to lose jobs in his 20s, and I couldn't understand why. He was smart, motivated, and timely. It wasn't until he ended up becoming a coworker of a friend of mine that I found out he walked in to every job pointing out the organizational issues and telling everyone what they should be doing, trying to move ahead faster than he should have, when it was time to just put his head down and work.

Not saying that's Kyler again, but not everyone needs to walk into the office on day 1 setting their sights on the CEO's chair.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Haha, or the opposite, your humility and ability to navigate realistic expectations will be noticed.

For example, I have a buddy who continued to lose jobs in his 20s, and I couldn't understand why. He was smart, motivated, and timely. It wasn't until he ended up becoming a coworker of a friend of mine that I found out he walked in to every job pointing out the organizational issues and telling everyone what they should be doing, trying to move ahead faster than he should have, when it was time to just put his head down and work.

Not saying that's Kyler again, but not everyone needs to walk into the office on day 1 setting their sights on the CEO's chair.
The problem wasn't your friend's goals or even expectations, but his approach to trying to get there. If your goal is to be a CEO than you should work your ass off and take every opportunity possible to impress your bosses and do what it takes to move that one step closer to your goal when the opportunity presents itself. Kyler's situation is very different though as his impact towards that lofty goal is in his hands from day 1 as the starting QB. The key is how he handles not meeting the expectation, not lowering the expectations all together. If failing to lead the team to a lot of wins only makes him even more motivated for the next season than I would say there is nothing wrong with his goals/expectations.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This conversation is confusing me to no end.

From what I understand here, the fair comparison is to only compare Russell Wilson to Kyler Murray as prospects on paper but to evaluate the team around him...now we need to look at NFL success not prospects on paper.

I think the entire thing is an exercise in futility.

The games cannot start soon enough.

These x 1000

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Not a Keim move, that was all Arians.

I want my GM to build the roster the coach will use.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose