Official "I can't keep up with technology" thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think it is funny how much people like the next when you can easily program a regular thermostat. I dont really need to change my temperature when I am driving home.

I love my Ecobee 4. It does much more than that. It can learn your habits, mine can tell when I am home via motion sensor. I can set it so it knows if I am on vacation and within a few miles of home, turn the A/C on to cool down the house. I can set it or adjust via voice.

I will never go back to a "normal" thermostat.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my Ecobee 4. It does much more than that. It can learn your habits, mine can tell when I am home via motion sensor. I can set it so it knows if I am on vacation and within a few miles of home, turn the A/C on to cool down the house. I can set it or adjust via voice.

I will never go back to a "normal" thermostat.
I just turn mine to 82 while out of town and back to 78 when I get home :shrug:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just turn mine to 82 while out of town and back to 78 when I get home :shrug:

They can do so much more than that. I also love the weather app on mine and the fact that I can adjust things per zone, adjust scheduling for peak times and go it all without standing in front of the Thermostat.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can do so much more than that. I also love the weather app on mine and the fact that I can adjust things per zone, adjust scheduling for peak times and go it all without standing in front of the Thermostat.

I dont think mine would really allow "zones" I have an AC system from the 80s. I assume they install things in different rooms for that? That is my biggest thing. I have a 2800 sqft 2 story home. If I could control the temp per room, I bet I would save a TON of money. I swear upstairs rooms end up killing my wallet because it is also flooding cool air into the raised ceiling living room that doesnt need it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think mine would really allow "zones" I have an AC system from the 80s. I assume they install things in different rooms for that? That is my biggest thing. I have a 2800 sqft 2 story home. If I could control the temp per room, I bet I would save a TON of money. I swear upstairs rooms end up killing my wallet because it is also flooding cool air into the raised ceiling living room that doesnt need it.

Well truly smart HVAC systems are still a ways away from true room by room temperature control going mainstream. However, my Ecobee 4 for example comes with external sensors I can place in any room. So for example, if one room tends to be warmer and never reaches the target temperature of where the Thermostat is, it will run a tad longer until that room reaches target. It eliminates a couple hots spots I have both down stairs and upstairs. However, if nobody has been in those rooms all day it ignores those rooms and runs like normal.

Plus I can't remember how many times in the old days where we might have adjusted the temperature then left and forgot we did it. My thermostat can tell if someone is home and if we forget? It can turn everything up to save us money. My kids have touched it and the same thing. Mine has a setting where I have "scheduled events" that override what anybody does. So even if someone changes the temperature it will override what they did and adjust to my settings. That is helpful during PEAK USAGE time from our utility.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well truly smart HVAC systems are still a ways away from true room by room temperature control going mainstream. However, my Ecobee 4 for example comes with external sensors I can place in any room. So for example, if one room tends to be warmer and never reaches the target temperature of where the Thermostat is, it will run a tad longer until that room reaches target. It eliminates a couple hots spots I have both down stairs and upstairs. However, if nobody has been in those rooms all day it ignores those rooms and runs like normal.

Plus I can't remember how many times in the old days where we might have adjusted the temperature then left and forgot we did it. My thermostat can tell if someone is home and if we forget? It can turn everything up to save us money. My kids have touched it and the same thing. Mine has a setting where I have "scheduled events" that override what anybody does. So even if someone changes the temperature it will override what they did and adjust to my settings. That is helpful during PEAK USAGE time from our utility.
so the external sensors only care if a person is actually in the room?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the external sensors only care if a person is actually in the room?

You can have it either way. You can set it to always adjust to that room or only when someone is in the room.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can have it either way. You can set it to always adjust to that room or only when someone is in the room.

That alone is a curious thing. I have south facing windows in upstairs bedrooms and I bet the whole house cools extra to get those cool.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an older laptop that I want to just keep around to maybe keep some of my music stuff for learning guitar. When Windows 10 came out, I installed it there and on my desktop at work. I didn't like it so I uninstalled it at work but neglected to do it on the laptop. I start it up now and then just to keep the battery charged and run updates, watch netflix, etc.

My wife turned it on a couple of days ago. There were updates for Windows 10 but message said something akin to 'not sufficient space or memory for update'. A quick Google search said you can only uninstall it within 30 days, which is long passed.

Can I get Windows 7 back somehow or am I just stuck with a piece of antique hardware?

There has to be a rant with this stupid tech stuff so, I JUST WANT MY LAPTOP BACK!!!!

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not exactly tech but I'm just putting it here.

My drivers lic is expiring so I had to go get a new one. I also needed the Fed ID because you can't fly or go in a Federal building without it. They give you a list of all the documents you have to bring with you... which my wife diligently dug out for me.

Didn't accept my Soc Sec card because it didn't have my full name on it.
My drivers lic had my name spelled wrong and didn't match passport.
My property tax statement wasn't accepted because it's for 2018.. 2019 not out yet
Utilities are in my wife's name
Name on my W2 didn't match passport.

They wanted me to go to Soc Sec to get my name corrected... I can't image what that would entail. 3 trips later I managed to scrape through. I went back to my office and changed my name in Quickbooks payroll and printed a fake W2. They finally took that, my passport, my KTN#, bank statement and proof of car insurance. Dude, I ain't a card caring member of Al Queda fer crissakes

One of my employees is going through hell because his birth certificate doesn't have his first name on it. It says 'Male' instead of his given name.. lol. They don't realize that here in NM we're in the stone ages!

A piece of trivia that may interest only me... I still have my original Soc Sec card I received in 1965. It's a bit yellowed but otherwise in mint condition. My mom had it, she kept it in a drawer for 50 years!!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A piece of trivia that may interest only me... I still have my original Soc Sec card I received in 1965. It's a bit yellowed but otherwise in mint condition. My mom had it, she kept it in a drawer for 50 years!!

What type of stone is it carved on?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an older laptop that I want to just keep around to maybe keep some of my music stuff for learning guitar. When Windows 10 came out, I installed it there and on my desktop at work. I didn't like it so I uninstalled it at work but neglected to do it on the laptop. I start it up now and then just to keep the battery charged and run updates, watch netflix, etc.

My wife turned it on a couple of days ago. There were updates for Windows 10 but message said something akin to 'not sufficient space or memory for update'. A quick Google search said you can only uninstall it within 30 days, which is long passed.

Can I get Windows 7 back somehow or am I just stuck with a piece of antique hardware?

There has to be a rant with this stupid tech stuff so, I JUST WANT MY LAPTOP BACK!!!!

You should be able to still do a restore. Before you do that I would try cleaning your hard drive or running defrag to clean up space. If that isn't an option do a restore.

Open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back to WindowsXXX” option or something more specific like “Go back to Windows 8.1” option if memory is correct.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be able to still do a restore. Before you do that I would try cleaning your hard drive or running defrag to clean up space. If that isn't an option do a restore.

Hey thanks, I followed your instructions and it pretty much worked. The disc clean up didn't finish properly. "not responding" and I had to force shut down. I'll re-run that tonight. Thanks again!

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know, my home was burglarized recently. I need to upgrade my security system and bring it out of the stone ages.

A couple of people have told me about Ring. $240 seems pretty cheap for what you can do with it. What am I missing?

Not sure I want to go with cameras, doorbell, the whole 9 yards etc. Sensors on doors and windows with a motion detector inside seems like it oughta do the trick. I'd probably get another pack of motion detectors to install and pay for the monitoring service.

My wifi signal is plenty strong enough to handle it now. Dudes ripped the modem out of the wall and when Comcast came to replace it they upgraded to 60mb, (which I've been paying for all along anyway.. weasels!)

Any expertise/comments?

https://www.costco.com/Ring-Alarm-Wireless-10-piece-Security-Kit.product.100424042.html

PS. if I get it from Costco, I'll do it online so I won't be able to pick up any Kirkland black t-shirts for you.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know, my home was burglarized recently. I need to upgrade my security system and bring it out of the stone ages.

A couple of people have told me about Ring. $240 seems pretty cheap for what you can do with it. What am I missing?

Not sure I want to go with cameras, doorbell, the whole 9 yards etc. Sensors on doors and windows with a motion detector inside seems like it oughta do the trick. I'd probably get another pack of motion detectors to install and pay for the monitoring service.

My wifi signal is plenty strong enough to handle it now. Dudes ripped the modem out of the wall and when Comcast came to replace it they upgraded to 60mb, (which I've been paying for all along anyway.. weasels!)

Any expertise/comments?

https://www.costco.com/Ring-Alarm-Wireless-10-piece-Security-Kit.product.100424042.html

PS. if I get it from Costco, I'll do it online so I won't be able to pick up any Kirkland black t-shirts for you.
Personally I have Arlo cameras. I used to have a full fledged security system but the contracts are abhorrent and as the things on windows and doors fall apart, they are not cheap to replace. With the arlo cameras, I got 4 and a base for a few hundred bucks and they watch every entry area of my home. If something goes down qwhen we are not home, it doesn't call the cops for me or anything but I will know and I will have camera footage of it. The monitoring services will actually call the cops for you. If you have animals, the motion detectors can set them off FYI. Well, large dogs at least. Even when I had the monitoring services, I got lazy with arming it and had a home invasion that the alarm wasn't set for. Now I just prefer the cameras.

Arlo is totally wireless, you do have to sync them and do technology stuff but its easier than running wires through the attic IMO

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS: I just clicked that link. $10 a month monitoring on the system is pretty dope. Hopefully they put vivent and all these other rip off companies out of business with their 5 year contracts.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS: I just clicked that link. $10 a month monitoring on the system is pretty dope. Hopefully they put vivent and all these other rip off companies out of business with their 5 year contracts.

Yeah, $10 with no contract sounds like a great deal. I have monitoring at my office and it's not real expensive either. $60 a quarter. A friend of mine who has some fairly valuable art work has contract with armed response but it's like $80 month. Too steep for my blood.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, $10 with no contract sounds like a great deal. I have monitoring at my office and it's not real expensive either. $60 a quarter. A friend of mine who has some fairly valuable art work has contract with armed response but it's like $80 month. Too steep for my blood.

Last I used services, they were around $50 a month for monitoring through vivent and etc.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Do you like Alexa on it to?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you like Alexa on it to?

Yes. Mine has Alexa on it and we use it. One thing it can't do is make phone calls like a normal Alexa can but evidently that is because Amazon won't allow it verses it being able to do so.

Reaction score

I still have my original from the 60's as well. I laminated many years ago which is a no no. I'm sure I'll have issues because it's spelled Stephen on it & everything else I have is either Steve or Steven. I'm not sure how it's spelled on my birth certificate.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, since my TV got ripped off I'm in the market for a new one. I'll probably go with a Samsung because I like them.. Maybe LG, I'll shop around a bit. I don't need one that's super duper Mega whatever, I don't know pixels from plasma so I just need one with a good picture and Netflix/Amazon prime preloaded. Suggestions?

I want to get rid of the cheezy home theater sound system I bought at Sears 5 years ago. My main question would be, how do I shop for a sound bar? I've seen them for $100 up to $2K but I really don't have any basis to go on other than I want it to be sleek looking because it'll be in plain view. I don't need subwoofers, whatever they are or rear speakers. Just one that amplifies voice so a geezer like me can hear without it being on full blast. The only thing I noticed on CNET was to get one with at least 3 channels. Beyond that I have no clue. Help?

btw, I managed to install my Ring security system without disaster.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, since my TV got ripped off I'm in the market for a new one. I'll probably go with a Samsung because I like them.. Maybe LG, I'll shop around a bit. I don't need one that's super duper Mega whatever, I don't know pixels from plasma so I just need one with a good picture and Netflix/Amazon prime preloaded. Suggestions?

I want to get rid of the cheezy home theater sound system I bought at Sears 5 years ago. My main question would be, how do I shop for a sound bar? I've seen them for $100 up to $2K but I really don't have any basis to go on other than I want it to be sleek looking because it'll be in plain view. I don't need subwoofers, whatever they are or rear speakers. Just one that amplifies voice so a geezer like me can hear without it being on full blast. The only thing I noticed on CNET was to get one with at least 3 channels. Beyond that I have no clue. Help?

btw, I managed to install my Ring security system without disaster.

I researched a ton and was going to buy a $400 soundbar, then I found out this budget soundbar had similar reviews to the $400 one. Bought it and have loved it ever since. My living room sounds like a movie theater and music sounds great on it. Plenty loud. Voices are very clear.

VIZIO SB3821-C6 38-Inch 2.1 Channel Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer

As far as TV, based on what you put, most anything will do. They all have apps preloaded these days.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I researched a ton and was going to buy a $400 soundbar, then I found out this budget soundbar had similar reviews to the $400 one. Bought it and have loved it ever since. My living room sounds like a movie theater and music sounds great on it. Plenty loud. Voices are very clear.

VIZIO SB3821-C6 38-Inch 2.1 Channel Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer

As far as TV, based on what you put, most anything will do. They all have apps preloaded these days.
I got the ZVOX SB500 for 2 of my tvs and love them. I installed with a bracket that mounts right to the TVs.
I bought each on Amazon:

ZVOX SB500 Aluminum Sound Bar with Built-In Subwoofer, Bluetooth Wireless Streaming, AccuVoice

WALI Universal Sound Bar Mount Bracket for Mounting Above or Under TV, Fits 32 to 70 inch TVs, 33 lbs. Weight Capacity (SBR201), Black

Last edited: