John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I heard it's just a massive movie of one action scene after another, without any of the good story of the first two--but that they are incredible action scenes. True or false?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with mindless action flicks! Used to watch them all the time in the 80's.

Keanu and Chad Stahelski (former stunt double turned director) have said they'll keep making Wick films as long as the audiences want them to make them.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It made what, $57 million this weekend. Yeah, I think they will continue to make them. Cool that Keanu has found another blockbuster for himself.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It made what, $57 million this weekend. Yeah, I think they will continue to make them. Cool that Keanu has found another blockbuster for himself.

Never met the man, but based on interviews I have seen, he seems like a quirky, kinda nutty nice guy. Good on him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured. The first was nails, the second good but not great. The third? I'm in no hurry.

the first half hour of this movie had me thinking I might be watching the greatest action movie of all time. Three back to back to back set-pieces with knives, books and animals all used as kill objects and just an operating ballet to the action choreography. It was truly something to behold. People in my theater, me and my little bro included were so bowled over by the action, you couldn't help but let out giddy laughs at the ludicrousness on screen, with each sequences ending with a smattering of applause. Again... in the FIRST ACT. There's a couple lulls after, but overall it is a freaking blast and beautiful to watch on a big screen.

My only quibble was that it set the bar so freaking high for itself with the first act that it was impossible to ever get back to that level.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's pretty insane what this franchise is doing. For the original to open to a mere 14 million... to it's sequel opening to 30 million to the sequel's sequel opening to near 60 million is pretty much unparalleled as far as box office returns for successive movies in a franchise.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
the first half hour of this movie had me thinking I might be watching the greatest action movie of all time. Three back to back to back set-pieces with knives, books and animals all used as kill objects and just an operating ballet to the action choreography. It was truly something to behold. People in my theater, me and my little bro included were so bowled over by the action, you couldn't help but let out giddy laughs at the ludicrousness on screen, with each sequences ending with a smattering of applause. Again... in the FIRST ACT. There's a couple lulls after, but overall it is a freaking blast and beautiful to watch on a big screen.

My only quibble was that it set the bar so freaking high for itself with the first act that it was impossible to ever get back to that level.
That's pretty spot on. I loved the movie throughout, but it got pretty repetitive starting with the scene with Halle Berry, which didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty spot on. I loved the movie throughout, but it got pretty repetitive starting with the scene with Halle Berry, which didn't make a whole lot of sense.

agreed... but I loved her and her dogs anyway.

But man... those first 30 minutes literally made me giddy at the ridiculousness pulled off on screen, especially knowing that the overwhelming majority of it was pulled off using practical FX and stunts. Same thing happened in the last Mission movie, but that one stands above because it kept topping itself when it seemed... for lack of a better word... impossible to do so.

eventually, Universal and Sony and Lionsgate are going to have to figure out how to merge the Fast/Wick/Impossible universes together to make the most ridiculous movie of all time. Preferably filmed in literal space.

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
John Wick 4 confirmed with a 2021 release date.

I’m going this weekend to catch this one. Can’t wait.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do I need to see the first 2 or can I jump right in?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know

even with that said... prob not. All you have to REALLY have to know going into Wick 3 is that everyone wants to kill him. There's other things that definitely build out the world in the first two movies, but you wouldn't be walking into that theater and be completely lost like if you had never seen the previous 21 Marvel movies before walking into Endgame.

That said, you should watch the first two just because they are kick-ass action movies.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
even with that said... prob not. All you have to REALLY have to know going into Wick 3 is that everyone wants to kill him. There's other things that definitely build out the world in the first two movies, but you wouldn't be walking into that theater and be completely lost like if you had never seen the previous 21 Marvel movies before walking into Endgame.

That said, you should watch the first two just because they are kick-ass action movies.
And to be fair, they do reference the first movie quite a few times.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Story of 2 and 3 were nowhere near as compelling to me as the first one, but the action was still good in 2.

For me 3 is on a completely different level when it comes to the action. There are some truly amazing scenes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Story of 2 and 3 were nowhere near as compelling to me as the first one, but the action was still good in 2.

For me 3 is on a completely different level when it comes to the action. There are some truly amazing scenes.

agree on all counts.

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Reaction score

Just got back from the theater. Same expierence. Groans and laughter throughout the movie with the different fight scenes (and the groans were made due to a couple brutal scenes).

Lulled in the middle some. The ending was good, but not as good as the first thirty minutes, that was spectacular. The whole “we’ll give John a chance after knocking him on his ass” schtick got a little annoying at the end.

All in all, thoroughly enjoyable action movie. Bring on number 4.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO Hollywood struggles to make old style, pure practical action films now. This franchise is epic. Seriously, just a throwback to people on the screen doing all kinds of crazy gun and actions stunts.

I absolutely love this franchise and don't feel like it's out of steam yet. I can't wait for the next chapter but to me it seems like a logical place to end the run. We shall see.

Also, I would have to imagine KR isn't going to want to do these movies forever.

P.S. If you had told me when I was a kid on the set watching the filming of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure that this guy would end up being one of the biggest actions stars of all time I wouldn't have believed it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO Hollywood struggles to make old style, pure practical action films now. This franchise is epic. Seriously, just a throwback to people on the screen doing all kinds of crazy gun and actions stunts.

I absolutely love this franchise and don't feel like it's out of steam yet. I can't wait for the next chapter but to me it seems like a logical place to end the run. We shall see.

Also, I would have to imagine KR isn't going to want to do these movies forever.

P.S. If you had told me when I was a kid on the set watching the filming of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure that this guy would end up being one of the biggest actions stars of all time I wouldn't have believed it.

this will NEVER happen, but someone needs to figure out how to merge this series with a massive cross-over of the other action franchises and put Ethan Hunt, John Wick, Dom Torreto, Hobbs and Shaw into the same shared universe. That would be bonkers.

Who comes out victorious in a battle royale of those action heroes?

I love Wick, but money goes on Hunt.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this will NEVER happen, but someone needs to figure out how to merge this series with a massive cross-over of the other action franchises and put Ethan Hunt, John Wick, Dom Torreto, Hobbs and Shaw into the same shared universe. That would be bonkers.

Who comes out victorious in a battle royale of those action heroes?

I love Wick, but money goes on Hunt.

I am just basing it on KR interview where he says he generally doesn't like sequels and will only do movies where he feels like they have a place to go that interests him.

So, it appeared to me he was sort of inferring that this franchise is probably closer to ending in terms of his involvement verses just getting started. Even if they figure out an interesting place to do I seriously doubt we will ever see John Wick Chapter 8 staring KR.

Crossovers are fanboy nerdgasms but it would be sooooo easy to make it cheesy and stupid where organically it makes no sense. If they could figure that part out? Yeah..that would be a ton of fun.

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Reaction score
I am just basing it on KR interview where he says he generally doesn't like sequels and will only do movies where he feels like they have a place to go that interests him.

So, it appeared to me he was sort of inferring that this franchise is probably closer to ending in terms of his involvement verses just getting started. Even if they figure out an interesting place to do I seriously doubt we will ever see John Wick Chapter 8 staring KR.

Crossovers are fanboy nerdgasms but it would be sooooo easy to make it cheesy and stupid where organically it makes no sense. If they could figure that part out? Yeah..that would be a ton of fun.

Weird, because I saw an article that said he’d absolutely keep doing this series for as long as possible. John Wick 4 is already confirmed.