John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Town Drunk, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

It made what, $57 million this weekend. Yeah, I think they will continue to make them. Cool that Keanu has found another blockbuster for himself.

2. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Never met the man, but based on interviews I have seen, he seems like a quirky, kinda nutty nice guy. Good on him.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  3. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

the first half hour of this movie had me thinking I might be watching the greatest action movie of all time. Three back to back to back set-pieces with knives, books and animals all used as kill objects and just an operating ballet to the action choreography. It was truly something to behold. People in my theater, me and my little bro included were so bowled over by the action, you couldn't help but let out giddy laughs at the ludicrousness on screen, with each sequences ending with a smattering of applause. Again... in the FIRST ACT. There's a couple lulls after, but overall it is a freaking blast and beautiful to watch on a big screen.

My only quibble was that it set the bar so freaking high for itself with the first act that it was impossible to ever get back to that level.

4. cheesebeef

It's pretty insane what this franchise is doing. For the original to open to a mere 14 million... to it's sequel opening to 30 million to the sequel's sequel opening to near 60 million is pretty much unparalleled as far as box office returns for successive movies in a franchise.

5. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

That's pretty spot on. I loved the movie throughout, but it got pretty repetitive starting with the scene with Halle Berry, which didn't make a whole lot of sense.

6. cheesebeef

agreed... but I loved her and her dogs anyway.

But man... those first 30 minutes literally made me giddy at the ridiculousness pulled off on screen, especially knowing that the overwhelming majority of it was pulled off using practical FX and stunts. Same thing happened in the last Mission movie, but that one stands above because it kept topping itself when it seemed... for lack of a better word... impossible to do so.

eventually, Universal and Sony and Lionsgate are going to have to figure out how to merge the Fast/Wick/Impossible universes together to make the most ridiculous movie of all time. Preferably filmed in literal space.

Brian in Mesa and Chaplin like this.
  7. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Longest serving ASFN lurker

John Wick 4 confirmed with a 2021 release date.

I’m going this weekend to catch this one. Can’t wait.

8. Finito

Finito Registered

Do I need to see the first 2 or can I jump right in?

9. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

Better off watching the first 2. The 2nd one continues on from the first & the 3rd from the 2nd. It's like one long movie that's really freaking good.

10. Finito

Finito Registered

Good to know

11. cheesebeef

even with that said... prob not. All you have to REALLY have to know going into Wick 3 is that everyone wants to kill him. There's other things that definitely build out the world in the first two movies, but you wouldn't be walking into that theater and be completely lost like if you had never seen the previous 21 Marvel movies before walking into Endgame.

That said, you should watch the first two just because they are kick-ass action movies.

12. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

And to be fair, they do reference the first movie quite a few times.

13. SunsTzu

SunsTzu Registered User

Story of 2 and 3 were nowhere near as compelling to me as the first one, but the action was still good in 2.

For me 3 is on a completely different level when it comes to the action. There are some truly amazing scenes.

14. cheesebeef

agree on all counts.

15. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Longest serving ASFN lurker

Just got back from the theater. Same expierence. Groans and laughter throughout the movie with the different fight scenes (and the groans were made due to a couple brutal scenes).

Lulled in the middle some. The ending was good, but not as good as the first thirty minutes, that was spectacular. The whole “we’ll give John a chance after knocking him on his ass” schtick got a little annoying at the end.

All in all, thoroughly enjoyable action movie. Bring on number 4.

Last edited: May 27, 2019