What Does Kyler Murray Really Want? - SI Article by Robert Klemko

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
Please keep this circus away from our team. Attitude and personality means a lot to the cardinals. There's no way Murray fits that mold. That's why i think we will take QW if we pick at 1. He is a great kid that wants to be great and will put in the work.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/16/k...ther-kevin-baseball-football-decision-oakland

That is the link for the article. People wonder why I am so concerned with Kyler Murray, and it is stories that I hear and articles like this that are the reason.

Again, agree or disagree, it doesn't matter. It is relevant information regarding a franchise QB and a number 1 pick in the draft.

Carson Palmer was talking about one of the things he looks at for young guys is how they handle adversity.

That to me is the biggest issue with Murray, and a very legitimate one. We don't have much bad tape of him where he was getting pounded and fought through it. He did a little with Alabama, but it's not enough.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I haven't been able to read the whole article yet, but this essentially says what I've been talking about with the kid for weeks/months now. There's a significant question mark related to his desire and dedication to the game.

We shouldn't pick him.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a pretty indicting article on Kyler. Non-committal, questionable leadership skills, LaVar Ball-like father. Aside from gaudy college stats from one season of football, what are his other redeeming qualities? Are these many red flags too much to overcome??
Or it just shows his dad's meddling nature. That's all I see.. I guess his teammates and coach's word don't count for anything. Also his one year of gaudy stats that you can argue would be any of our top picks.. but pay no mind.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
What does Murray really want? Whoever will pay him the most. The game comes 2nd.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please keep this circus away from our team. Attitude and personality means a lot to the cardinals. There's no way Murray fits that mold. That's why i think we will take QW if we pick at 1. He is a great kid that wants to be great and will put in the work.
So I think we should get rid of this Larry guy because he is trying to become a scratch golfer and could possibly hitch up on the PGA tour. Also, his introverted nature as a young player really should have been an early warning sign....

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
So I think we should get rid of this Larry guy because he is trying to become a scratch golfer and could possibly hitch up on the PGA tour. Also, his introverted nature as a young player really should have been an early warning sign....

Uh, Larry becoming a scratch golfer is a poooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr example and being a QB is a totally different leadership role. By the way, after reading that article, its hard to think Kyler would have handle last season's aftermath with his dad in tow as well as Rosen has

Last edited:

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For all the Murray haters, I see where you're coming from. My question, since we NEED a QB and don't take Murray, who do you want? Haskins, Jones, Lock or someone else?
wait until next year or the year after. ride rosen until the wheels fall off, or he proves he's a capable starter

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Are you really comparing a WR being an introvert to the QB? 2 totally different personality traits are required of the position. Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Jerry Rice, all had success not being super outgoing guys...I can't think of a single succesful QB who was an introvert.

Are you also comparing a veteran WR who is in the twilight of his career taking up golf to a guy who had a pro contract already to another pro sport?

I am sorry but that is just silly.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Lavar Ball comparisons are interesting. I think the dad is a different sort of guy that has a chip on his shoulder and based on keeping the Brewer's $ when he himself switched to football shows a character trait that lacks integrity. The fact that his son relies exclusively on his direction is a huge red flag for anyone drafting him.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh, Larry becoming a scratch golfer is a poooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr example and being a QB is a totally different leadership role. By the way, after reading that article its hard to think Kyler would have handle last season as well as Rosen has
It was tongue in cheek..and about the fact that we assume because he is good at other things in life that he will just up and bounce. I agree his situation is unique.. but guys leave all the time for different crap and retire early. It's happening alot nowadays.. but I understand the hesitation based on the dad's level of involvement. But, I just don't think it's fair to the kid to question his leadership based on not being an extrovert..I guess guys like Eli Manning would prove my point to an extent. Some kids and young adults can grow into these roles.. and as long as he his fiery on the field(which has been reported many times) ...why do we care?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you really comparing a WR being an introvert to the QB? 2 totally different personality traits are required of the position. Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Jerry Rice, all had success not being super outgoing guys...I can't think of a single succesful QB who was an introvert.

Are you also comparing a veteran WR who is in the twilight of his career taking up golf to a guy who had a pro contract already to another pro sport?

I am sorry but that is just silly.
Did I really need the sarcasm emoji here?.. I was making the point of judging someone based on their introverted ways they are with the media. It's silly.. imo. Eli Manning would be a good example when he was young btw. His coach Lincoln Riley has said that he definitely brings that fire on the football field.. that's all I care about tbh

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It was tongue in cheek..and about the fact that we assume because he is good at other things in life that he will just up and bounce. I agree his situation is unique.. but guys leave all the time for different crap and retire early. It's happening alot nowadays.. but I understand the hesitation based on the dad's level of involvement. But, I just don't think it's fair to the kid to question his leadership based on not being an extrovert..I guess guys like Eli Manning would prove my point to an extent. Some kids and young adults can grow into these roles.. and as long as he his fiery on the field(which has been reported many times) ...why do we care?

I don't think he is a total introvert, but just went with what you implied in your example. One does not win like he has by lacking some form of leadership... I'm bored and want the draft to start lol

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carson Palmer was talking about one of the things he looks at for young guys is how they handle adversity.

That to me is the biggest issue with Murray, and a very legitimate one. We don't have much bad tape of him where he was getting pounded and fought through it. He did a little with Alabama, but it's not enough.
Read as much of it as I could before the page locked up.

Sounds like one of those "Coach's Son" articles.

There's so much vitriol in these public "disclosures" about KM that the only way I can remain sane is to ignore all 2nd or 3rd party accounts and let the Cardinal football experts figure it out.

As for me: I'd feel safer drafting Q Wiliams or Bosa and placing my chips on Rosen (with drafting Murray and trading Rosen a close second).

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think he is a total introvert, but just went with what you implied in your example. One does not win like he has by lacking some form of leadership... I'm bored and want the draft to start lol
Haha. Agreed.. but it's all good. I think the closer we get the more testy things become. But it's all in good fun at the end of the day. We all want what's best for the team. But I'll be here draft night.. unless the server cant handle the monumental volume of traffic .Haha

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What does Murray really want? Whoever will pay him the most. The game comes 2nd.
Doubtful. I'm sure his past 10 to 15 years of playing sports has all been for the future money. Don't buy it..now, the dad? That's a different story. Imo

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Article Jan.31st.2019
Judging by Murray’s comments Thursday on Super Bowl LIII Radio Row, he wishes he didn’t have to choose.

“This whole decision thing, I wish I could play both,” Murray told Mike Florio on Pro Football Talk Live in Atlanta. “… I know it’s highly, highly, highly unlikely, but it’s not an easy decision. Been playing both my whole life since I was 4 years old. So, I’ve got to make a decision, obviously, but I’m not saying it here.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/a...ould-play-football-and-baseball-decision-soon

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I keep on getting stuck at the "I'm playing baseball unless I am a first round pick" mentality. He was willing to play football, as long as the price is high enough. I just can't get comfortable with taking a guy with that mentality at #1, especially when he is going to have to be the face and leader of a franchise.

Round 2...I am fine with taking the risk. #1...too rich for my blood. I would rather stick with Rosen.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I keep on getting stuck at the "I'm playing baseball unless I am a first round pick" mentality. He was willing to play football, as long as the price is high enough. I just can't get comfortable with taking a guy with that mentality at #1, especially when he is going to have to be the face and leader of a franchise.

Round 2...I am fine with taking the risk. #1...too rich for my blood. I would rather stick with Rosen.

Yep - this quote from the NBC article in particular caught me:

“Well, see, I don’t think it’s that easy,” he said. “The A’s organization has been nothing but phenomenal to me through this whole process. I wouldn’t want to be with anyone else, because the way they’ve handled this whole situation has been crazy, you know, you almost wouldn’t believe it. …

“I feel like everyone would do this if, you know, let’s see where I get drafted and then if I go later, then yeah. … I don’t know if that’s possible.”

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep - this quote from the NBC article in particular caught me:

“Well, see, I don’t think it’s that easy,” he said. “The A’s organization has been nothing but phenomenal to me through this whole process. I wouldn’t want to be with anyone else, because the way they’ve handled this whole situation has been crazy, you know, you almost wouldn’t believe it. …

“I feel like everyone would do this if, you know, let’s see where I get drafted and then if I go later, then yeah. … I don’t know if that’s possible.”
Real concerns. I still think it's worth a shot. :lol:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard