Reaction score

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Family of control freaks.Dad trying to fix his failures thru his son.A bundle of crazy trouble with that family.Even the Murray backers should think about the baggage on that crazy train.
Sure looks like some entitlement issues there also.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Family of control freaks.Dad trying to fix his failures thru his son.A bundle of crazy trouble with that family.Even the Murray backers should think about the baggage on that crazy train.
I was reading on twitter a couple of months ago that Kyler's dad is about as bad as Lavar Ball. No likey.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll be honest. Reading that is no bueno for the kid. It's just something we'd have to hope the front office and more importantly KK get their heads wrapped around before and if they commit. If they make the pick, I think they will have done their due diligence. Jmo

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For all the Murray haters, I see where you're coming from. My question, since we NEED a QB and don't take Murray, who do you want? Haskins, Jones, Lock or someone else?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
There are enough question marks to make picking him #1 overall a risk. There are no risk-free draft picks. Williams is less risky.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The whole circus showed why he has a lot of liability. To some extent though I think if he really does play football and not report to spring training then his baseball window closes quite a bit on him, at least as far as money is concerned. If he switches back after getting a licking in NFL his baseball stock will have fallen. I didn't follow his baseball career at all, but iirc many mentioned he didn't have phenom stats, which made me think some of drafting him may had to do with marketing and trying to bring a football audience to the A's since he does have a large contingent of people following him. People love a comeback story but he will be tarnished in the process.

So if you get a contract for $25M in NFL, things go sideways quickly, you can't really just quit and go back to baseball when you'd have a repayment clause in your contract and assuming you spent a chunk of it you probably can't offset it baseball.

The big risk for everyone is if he doesn't get a high pick NFL deal he just shows up for spring training and takes the baseball money and now the team that drafted him lost first round pick.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
For all the Murray haters, I see where you're coming from. My question, since we NEED a QB and don't take Murray, who do you want? Haskins, Jones, Lock or someone else?
"We" traded three draft picks for a quarterback LAST draft. Roll with the guy we have for at least another year while adding a blue chip defender.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The whole circus showed why he has a lot of liability. To some extent though I think if he really does play football and not report to spring training then his baseball window closes quite a bit on him, at least as far as money is concerned. If he switches back after getting a licking in NFL his baseball stock will have fallen. I didn't follow his baseball career at all, but iirc many mentioned he didn't have phenom stats, which made me think some of drafting him may had to do with marketing and trying to bring a football audience to the A's since he does have a large contingent of people following him. People love a comeback story but he will be tarnished in the process.

So if you get a contract for $25M in NFL, things go sideways quickly, you can't really just quit and go back to baseball when you'd have a repayment clause in your contract and assuming you spent a chunk of it you probably can't offset it baseball.

The big risk for everyone is if he doesn't get a high pick NFL deal he just shows up for spring training and takes the baseball money and now the team that drafted him lost first round pick.
I actually think this is the case as well. I think him and his dad know where his future is. I think the As saw huge value in the kid, but his stats were sub standard to say the least.. he would have easily spent years in mid to high level a ball before he would have been called back. I know they tried to guarantee him an opening day roster spot.. but that can easily fade after a few months. Then it's back down to the minors.. either way, the dad situation is crappy to say the least...but I do have a gut feeling that they are legitimately trying to move forward with football. If he was a studly baseball prospect that hit for a high average and got on base all the time..then maybe that would have changed things. I just think they know where the kid can play and have continued success. Jmo

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Im not high on Rosen. I think he even with a solid staff and supporting players he could top out at average, but not ruling out he surprises me and can be better. I just don't think any of those QBs warrant a #1 especially in our situation. If I was forced to deal Rosen and look elsewhere it would only happen because we traded down with another team that wanted Murray and we grabbed Haskins and elite D in first round. That situation won't happen.

If I was a genie and coulf swap, at no cost, no pick, Rosen for Haskins probably. Rosen for Murray maybe.

Not a Murray hater, I just don't think he is anywhere near #1 overall value and is even more of a flier pick than most top QB prospects.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I actually think this is the case as well. I think him and his dad know where his future is. I think the As saw huge value in the kid, but his stats were sub standard to say the least.. he would have easily spent years in mid to high level a ball before he would have been called back. I know they tried to guarantee him an opening day roster spot.. but that can easily fade after a few months. Then it's back down to the minors.. either way, the dad situation is crappy to say the least...but I do have a gut feeling that they are legitimately trying to move forward with football. If he was a studly baseball prospect that hit for a high average and got on base all the time..then maybe that would have changed things. I just think they know where the kid can play and have continued success. Jmo

I think that's the problem, the dad thinks he knows everything... can you imagine the possibilities between Kyler's and Fitzgerald's father when the offense does not go as they prefer, a media pain in the ass for the Cardinals

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that's the problem, the dad thinks he knows everything... can you imagine the possibilities between Kyler's and Fitzgerald's father when the offense does not go as they prefer, a media pain in the ass for the Cardinals
Agreed. But we also only know so much. A story or narrative can be construed in many different ways. In this situation, is the dad really pulling ALL the strings? Or does Murray have a voice in all this? I think to keep it simple, for myself, would be somewhere in the middle. Jmo

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, the lavar ball thing is working itself out last I checked..the kids are starting to realize the truth about their dad and are pushing him to the side. At least that was noted with Lonzo.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Agreed. But we also only know so much. A story or narrative can be construed in many different ways. In this situation, is the dad really pulling ALL the strings? Or does Murray have a voice in all this? I think to keep it simple, for myself, would be somewhere in the middle. Jmo

I guess I am giving Kyler a little bit of credit since he seems to be soft spoken, much like Fitzgerald... with two controlling fathers who think they know better than even their own children by acting like children themselves

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One thing is pretty certain in all the unknowns... Whatever GM drafts him with a very high pick is putting his nuts on the table. Murray is so polarizing after his hype train went mental that it's hard to imagine any GM that doesn't have goodwill in the bank taking that chance lightly. Part of reason I don't see us drafting him is because if he busts right off the bat (which even good rooks can do) is SK is probably fired at that point because it will also make the KK hire look terrible also, because you have a chicken egg situation on which is the problem if not both.

If KK comes in and Rosen stinks it up he can say "well KK was a smart move but we just don't think Josh is the right fit" and buy another year. If he spends a #1 and gets bad results he is double F'd... He will be gone.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is the dad is living his own life again through his sons career. The dad thinks he got screwed over because he's black, no idea if that's true, so he's trying to maneuver to get the best deal for his son. Mayfield got nearly 33million guaranteed over 4 years, if Murray is the first pick he'll get a similar deal. That's much more than the 14 million deal the A's offered him, it's more than double.

The concern of course is what if he doesn't play well right away, is the dad now going to do what he did when Baseball didn't work out and push the kid to change sports, his case from football to baseball?

If you are convinced he's going to be a star in football the risk is low, why would he jump to baseball if he's playing great at football? If you're not convinced it's a risk.

Glad I don't have to make these decisions. I'd still either trade the pick if someone gives us enough, or take Bosa or I guess Williams myself. I will be ok if we take Murray, but if it were my choice I'd take the safer one.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Give Rosen another year. If he doesn't have the goods then you draft Tua who is better than Murray anyways

I agree. Rosen had no o-line last year at all. A terrible OC to start the year, a bad offense to work with after that. Injuries around him, bad coaching and no o-line. I walked away pleased with his toughness and willingness to work.

With the positive moves we've made and a draft stacked with WR and OL, our biggest needs possibly, I'm very hopeful for Rosen's future.

I'd love to trade #1 and pick up a lot of the really strong talent through the first 35ish picks. But, #1 and #33 should get us a star player and a very good NFL player at a position of high need.

If it doesn't work out, and Rosen is a big bust, we will be drafting high again next year. If we trade number 1, we might even have 2 picks next year to look for that QB with.

I've been a strong no on Kyler from the beginning. Of course, if we draft him, I'll be rooting for him, but, I'm really hoping on draft night we go any other route.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
That's a pretty indicting article on Kyler. Non-committal, questionable leadership skills, LaVar Ball-like father. Aside from gaudy college stats from one season of football, what are his other redeeming qualities? Are these many red flags too much to overcome??

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave