What is the plan?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That will help Book with his D, I am sure.

I doubt defense is high on the agenda but offensively Crawford is a machine.

I am still amazed by all the moves he has to get his shot off. I'm sure Booker can still learn.

Also I hope he learns more about leadership and nutrition from Crawford. It's amazing how Crawford has kept his body in shape.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Suns keep Oubre as he has gotten involved with the Valley. It's great to have a player who wants to be here.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Suns keep Oubre as he has gotten involved with the Valley. It's great to have a player who wants to be here.

No trademark or trademark application of record yet with the Arizona Secretary of State or the United States Patent & Trademark Office.

There IS a Valley Boyz LLC, which had its Articles of Organization filed with the Arizona Corporation Commission on March 7th:

https://ecorp.azcc.gov/BusinessSearch/BusinessInformation?businessId=1959971

I wonder if Gil Negrete is Kelly Oubre's local attorney. Of course, that would be somewhat unusual, as Gil Negrete is a personal injury attorney.

In addition, formation of an LLC does not necessarily provide trademark protection in and of itself.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's too bad the Suns could not extend Oubre before he becomes a RFA. I'm assuming this was possible but probably unlikely because Oubre wanted to check his worth as a free agent.

If they could have locked him up earlier to a reasonable contract I would feel much better heading into the draft and free agency. It would have been nice another key piece already in place.

If another team goes after Oubre hard, the Suns can still match it, but it may limit what they can do in free agency.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
It's too bad the Suns could not extend Oubre before he becomes a RFA. I'm assuming this was possible but probably unlikely because Oubre wanted to check his worth as a free agent.

This makes it sound like it wasn't an option for Phoenix: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q58

Rookie scale contracts - From the end of the July Moratorium to the day before the start of the regular season preceding the player's last option season

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It reads that way.

I listened to The Kave Show the other day that included Duane Rankin. My take listening to Rankin was that it could have been done.

But then I believe they lose the ability to sign other FAs. Can’t they sign someone and then use oubre’s bird rights to go over the cap if necessary?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But then I believe they lose the ability to sign other FAs. Can’t they sign someone and then use oubre’s bird rights to go over the cap if necessary?

I'm not sure. Of course if Oubre signs an offer sheet from another team the Suns only have two days to match.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes, they can. Only his cap hold counts against the cap now, which I believe is the qualifying offer he signs. I could be wrong about his cap hold being the same amount as the qualifying offer but I know his cap hold will be much less than what he figures to resign for. If he agreed to an extension prior to the season ending then that would basically kill our cap space and we need to stretch every dollar as far as we can. The qualifying offer for him is $4.9 million.

Based on how Oubre has spoken about the Suns since his last game played, maybe even before then, he's always been very positive about resigning here this offseason. You almost wouldn't know he's a free agent this summer based on the majority of his comments. It wouldn't surprise me to learn he's spoken with the front office and has a handshake deal already. They're just waiting for free agency to open up so we can make a run for someone before signing him officially. He seems to really like it here and we can't screw that up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes, they can. Only his cap hold counts against the cap now, which I believe is the qualifying offer he signs. I could be wrong about his cap hold being the same amount as the qualifying offer but I know his cap hold will be much less than what he figures to resign for. If he agreed to an extension prior to the season ending then that would basically kill our cap space and we need to stretch every dollar as far as we can. The qualifying offer for him is $4.9 million.

Based on how Oubre has spoken about the Suns since his last game played, maybe even before then, he's always been very positive about resigning here this offseason. You almost wouldn't know he's a free agent this summer based on the majority of his comments. It wouldn't surprise me to learn he's spoken with the front office and has a handshake deal already. They're just waiting for free agency to open up so we can make a run for someone before signing him officially. He seems to really like it here and we can't screw that up.
Yes these are my thoughts as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It only takes one team to make a jaw breaking offer in free agency.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It only takes one team to make a jaw breaking offer in free agency.

That's true but if there is an agreement in place already that might put other teams off on speaking with him. He's restricted already and that alone will keep a lot of teams away. If he's restricted and most believe there is already a deal in place then I doubt they reach out to him, if they do reach out and he doesn't show much interest then are they really going to back up the brinks truck to get his attention? That would take some balls on another GM's part. I don't see it happening with all of the other free agents out there that aren't restricted.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true but if there is an agreement in place already that might put other teams off on speaking with him. He's restricted already and that alone will keep a lot of teams away. If he's restricted and most believe there is already a deal in place then I doubt they reach out to him, if they do reach out and he doesn't show much interest then are they really going to back up the brinks truck to get his attention? That would take some balls on another GM's part. I don't see it happening with all of the other free agents out there that aren't restricted.

Teams are going to be talking to Oubre's agent so we shall see. He is going to do what is in the best for his client.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Teams are going to be talking to Oubre's agent so we shall see. He is going to do what is in the best for his client.

Definitely. It's worth keeping in mind that Oubre's agent is the same as Ayton's so t hat's someone the Suns have worked with before. Signing Ayton to his rookie scaled contract is more of a formality than negotiation but I would think the organization has tried to build a good relationship with him. I don't know if that will help us at all but I don't think it hurts us. We won't need to start working out a deal with him for at least 2 more years but a smooth negotiation now can help build a relationship for future deals.

Here is info on the agent, their name is Nima Namakian. Both Oubre and Ayton have Nima and Bill Duffy listed but Duffy is a bigger name agent and both are part of BDA Sports Management, which is also the firm that reps a number of Suns both past and present. It does worry me a little that Nima is also Zach LaVine's agent because he got a huge payday as a restricted free agent last summer. This offseason has more targets than last summer so I don't think teams will be looking to break the bank on restricted free agents right out the gate so a repeat of that is unlikely, IMO. We'll see how it plays out.

https://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent_clients/Nima-Namakian/707

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely. It's worth keeping in mind that Oubre's agent is the same as Ayton's so t hat's someone the Suns have worked with before. Signing Ayton to his rookie scaled contract is more of a formality than negotiation but I would think the organization has tried to build a good relationship with him. I don't know if that will help us at all but I don't think it hurts us. We won't need to start working out a deal with him for at least 2 more years but a smooth negotiation now can help build a relationship for future deals.

Here is info on the agent, their name is Nima Namakian. Both Oubre and Ayton have Nima and Bill Duffy listed but Duffy is a bigger name agent and both are part of BDA Sports Management, which is also the firm that reps a number of Suns both past and present. It does worry me a little that Nima is also Zach LaVine's agent because he got a huge payday as a restricted free agent last summer. This offseason has more targets than last summer so I don't think teams will be looking to break the bank on restricted free agents right out the gate so a repeat of that is unlikely, IMO. We'll see how it plays out.

https://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent_clients/Nima-Namakian/707

Let's hope Oubre's negotiations go smoothly. They really need to keep him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The off-season is more interesting than the regular season for this team.

I think that applies whenever your team has cap space and/or high draft picks. We know change is coming, how much and of what variety is what we'll find out.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think that applies whenever your team has cap space and/or high draft picks. We know change is coming, how much and of what variety is what we'll find out.

Do we? Given the lack of change at GM and what I'm hearing of Igor remaining at coach and no significant trades or free agent signings on the horizon, it looks frighteningly like things staying the same.

Take the current team and do nothing but add Ja Morant to it, and I guarantee you it loses at least 60 games for the second consecutive season.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair you can say that for the entire nba. While there are some surprises, the champion is all but decided early. There is basically zero parity in the league
In our case, this lottery could make or break this team for the next decade.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
In our case, this lottery could make or break this team for the next decade.

Yes and no. For the first time in a long time there is a real foundation to build upon (Booker, oubre, ayton, bridges, holmes). They also have some pieces that we can use (cap space, draft picks, tradeable pieces like jj and tj warren). We don't have to win the lottery in order to get the things we need but it wouldn't hurt of course.

A lot of our offseason likely relies on how good of a salesman that booker is in that a) he is a superstar player (since that's what players want to flock to) and b) sarver isn't a problem anymore.