What is the plan?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The plan for this summer.

If we get #1. Draft Zion. Go after the best FA pg we can find. I would even go after Kemba with sign and trade offers. You have to think that a true floor general pg would love to have Book, Ayton, and Zion to dish the ball to.

#2. Draft Ja. Sign a veteran pg. I am thinking that if we could get Derrick Rose for a decent deal, that would be ideal. Rose, Ja, and Tyler would be a nice pg rotation. Pick up or trade for a PF. Mirotic type.

#3. Draft Ja or Barrett. If its Barrett, start wheeling and dealing for a pg. Barrett, Warren, JJ, and even Mikal would be on the table.
#4-5. Shop the pick. If there are no really great offers, draft Bol. Then do the same thing we would have done had we drafted Zion at #1.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ball seems to be worth more than his stats indicate. The Lakers were progressing last year under Lonzo. This year was a huge set back for the entire organization which I’m glad for.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some very mature words from Lonzo Ball. He could be a reasonable trade target for the Suns.

“At the end of the day, you can only control the things that you can control. If I get traded, then I get traded. But I’m going to be ready to go. The goal is to be the best player I can for whichever team.”

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...g-Offseason-If-I-Get-Traded-Then-I-Get-Traded
Well. Ball sees the floor, runs the fast break, has a great handle, passes well, takes reasonable care of the ball, plays very good D, shoots pretty poorly. Kind of a better version of Tyler.

And he wants to be here. So. Worth considering.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. Ball sees the floor, runs the fast break, has a great handle, passes well, takes reasonable care of the ball, plays very good D, shoots pretty poorly. Kind of a better version of Tyler.

I thought that was just the dad talking? Did Lonzo say something about being in Phoenix that I missed (or forgot)?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And he is young, on a rookie scale salary and is probably better than anything the Suns can draft after #3.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We saw LaVar Ball dining in a Manuels restuarant we frequent a few weeks back in the Glendale area.

Saw or heard? Was this maybe during the last week of the trade deadline when he was in town for an interview (or several)?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And he is young, on a rookie scale salary and is probably better than anything the Suns can draft after #3.

Jackson is also on a rookie scale contract but that doesn't change how some view him and whether it's time to move in a different direction. Ball has been in the league less than 2 seasons and counting the time he's missed because of injuries, he's missed more than half of a season. I suspect if he were a Suns for that same stretch some would be ready to move on from him due to his shooting woes. He's shooting 44% from the FT line for his career, 45% in his rookie season and 42% this year. That isn't easy to overlook. Adding Ball would leave us where we are currently, without a true PG to help take the ball from Booker's hands in late game situations.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackson is also on a rookie scale contract but that doesn't change how some view him and whether it's time to move in a different direction. Ball has been in the league less than 2 seasons and counting the time he's missed because of injuries, he's missed more than half of a season. I suspect if he were a Suns for that same stretch some would be ready to move on from him due to his shooting woes. He's shooting 44% from the FT line for his career, 45% in his rookie season and 42% this year. That isn't easy to overlook. Adding Ball would leave us where we are currently, without a true PG to help take the ball from Booker's hands in late game situations.

I'm willing to take the risk for the right trade. At least the Suns do not lock up their spending for years to come.

The difference between Jackson and Ball for the Suns... Ball fills a position of need.

If it doesn't work out, the Suns let him go.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Saw or heard? Was this maybe during the last week of the trade deadline when he was in town for an interview (or several)?
Saw. This was 3 saturdays ago. We were waiting for a table and and he walked / limped past us and my son said thats LaVar Ball. He was wearing his 3BB gear and I could tell by his voice it was def him.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an article for fans who like the idea of adding D'Angelo Russell. It's sort of a reach.

It starts with the Nets being able to land Kyrie Irving.

Here is an excerpt about how it goes:

The New York Daily News reported over the weekend that Kyrie Irving, who could be a free agent for the Boston Celtics, might prefer to play with the Brooklyn Nets.

Stefan Bondy wrote: "New York is expected to make a summer run at point guard Kyrie Irving, but the Brooklyn Nets are also in the running for the enigmatic champion. In fact, some sources around the league believe Irving prefers the Nets. In an interview done recently with NBATV, David Griffin — who was the Cavs GM at the same time Irving played for Cleveland — suggested that was the case. ... 'I think Brooklyn is the fit that’s better for him in terms of his mindset,' Griffin said. 'I think he likes what they’ve done there, culturally.'"

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-nets-guard/3352891002/?cid=twitter_azcsports

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns might want to look at a veteran player like Tomas Satoransky of the Wizards in free agency.

His contract would likely be reasonable and he could play besides Booker.

He plays point guard and shooting guard. He turns 28 in October.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/satorto01.html

I like Satoransky but when Wall went down it became a long shot that the Wizards would move him. They may go after a PG this offseason but odds are they'll want to keep him. He's been a solid backup there.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I like Satoransky but when Wall went down it became a long shot that the Wizards would move him. They may go after a PG this offseason but odds are they'll want to keep him. He's been a solid backup there.
Question is will they be able to afford to keep him? They are essentially in cap hell right now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question is will they be able to afford to keep him? They are essentially in cap hell right now.

That's a tough one. They almost can't afford to let him walk because they're in cap hell. They have his bird rights so going over the cap to keep him isn't an issue but I guess it depends on what they plan to do next season. They should trade Beal and ride the tank all season because they won't have Wall anyway. I imagine Beal could bring them a nice return and allow them to get ready to build a team around Wall the year after next. Since they just fired their GM it's tough to guess what they'll do, especially since they're in the East because Beal alone might make them an 8th seed.

If they let him walk then he's definitely an affordable option to look at. He should be much cheaper than some guys like Rubio or Collison. I'd guess he'll probably get half of what those guys do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd like to add Satoransky probably for the same reason the Wizards would like to keep him. He is a reasonable option at point guard. He would be great insurance if the Suns end up drafting one.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Griffin interviews with the Pelicans.

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

Former Suns and Cavs GM David Griffin -- widely regarded as the most decorated executive candidate on the open market -- interviewed with the New Orleans Pelicans today, according to a league source

9:39 AM - 4 Apr 2019

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
David Griffin interviews with the Pelicans.

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

Former Suns and Cavs GM David Griffin -- widely regarded as the most decorated executive candidate on the open market -- interviewed with the New Orleans Pelicans today, according to a league source

9:39 AM - 4 Apr 2019

Why the heck haven't the Suns interviewed him?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the heck haven't the Suns interviewed him?

I'm not quite sure. He might be best GM candidate out there.

My guess is that Sarver is unwilling to give Griifin the control he wants.

Also I think James Jones and Sarver are on the same page.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reportedly Booker will work out with Crawford in the off season. It might hint at the possibility Crawford might be back.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Devin Booker said he plans to workout with Jamal Crawford in Seattle at some point this offseason.

10:36 AM - 10 Apr 2019

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard