Cardinals acquire RT Marcus Gilbert

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the team decides to sign him to an extension before he even sets foot on the field this offseason then I will join Cheesebeef in hating this deal.

I don't hate the deal. I just don't see it being a good one.

and there's no way they sign that guy to an extension. I don't think even Keim can be that stupid.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

and there's no way they sign that guy to an extension. I don't think even Keim can be that stupid.

I think they are bringing him in with the idea that Cunningham will back him up this year and start next year. I also think and hope they draft some OLs.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

Have you watched this team the past three years? :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The old wr

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

wha? that dude is dog crap that's been eaten by another dog and crapped back out again.

he's done. wasting any money on him or depending on him... even just for a roster spot makes zero sense.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hope he puts a lot of padding in the back of his helmet because at 6'-6" Murray is going to be hitting him in the back of the head a lot. :D

Murray's tackles last year were 6'5" and 6'4" and he didn't hit them in the head :shrug:

Only 5 batted passes all year which is very low.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A late 6th rounder? Since we have a few of them, why not?
Not a bad move really, even playing half a season, which if you do the math, he has, almost that is, 4 games shy of half. He's played a total of 12 games the last two seasons combined. I just read an article about him, it said when healthy (key word "when") he's a top 5-10 right tackle in the NFL. 6 games of him is better than what we had at his position last yr & they gave up virtually nothing for him. We have three 6th round picks & his cost was the 3rd one #207, that's basically nothing. Had it been a 3-5 round pick maybe it would've been too much? I like it, piece by piece, starter, depth or whatever so far so good

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You can only draft so many, and develop so many.

I think 1 in the top three rounds, and one rounds 4-7.
To me they still need a RT and a LT if they don't feel Humphries is long term answer. I wish ARZ could void out Humphries option without eating it and using that money for Trent Brown and then drafting Yodny Cajuste in Round 2 to play RT with Cunningham as swing tackle.

Murray's tackles last year were 6'5" and 6'4" and he didn't hit them in the head :shrug:

Only 5 batted passes all year which is very low.
Here's the deal, Murray was able to compensate by getting outside of the pocket to find passing lanes. If he stays in the pocket he will have to lob throws over lineman which will increase the chances of throwing INT's. If I'm an NFL DC I contain him in pocket and have my DL keeping their arms raised high.

Instead of taking risk with Murray, sign Tyrod Taylor as Rosen's backup as he is a proven NFL QB and fits this offense like a glove.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
im against in those type acquisation
over 30, injury prone
look at pugh now, garbage player, big contact and injury prone

on the paper we have 3 starters with more chances of being on IR rather then in the field

humphries pugh ( average below average when healthy)
gilbert ( good player when healthy)

i tell u this, if we snag a good tackle in the draft i expect them cutting humpries and his 9.5 million salary

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My only concern is with Humphries, Pugh, and now Gilbert, what is the likelihood of having another street free agent constructed O-Line by week 8?
I agree with you & i thought about that also. Hopefully we aren't done drafting & signing players on the off line? I want them to sign another big name free agent left guard or draft one. Shipley will be back & cole can rotate between center & guard. Lupati is too injury prone. Keep Cunningham maybe & draft a few in the 4-5 rounds. I'm not sure how many off linemen they keep each yr but if I had to guess right now, 8 would be a good number. Humphries, cole, Shipley, Pugh & Gilbert. That's 5 right there not counting lupati & Cunningham. Lupati I'm not sure of his contract yrs or even if they plan on keeping him, I think Cunningham may be a UFA?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
im against in those type acquisation
over 30, injury prone
look at pugh now, garbage player, big contact and injury prone

on the paper we have 3 starters with more chances of being on IR rather then in the field

humphries pugh ( average below average when healthy)
gilbert ( good player when healthy)

i tell u this, if we snag a good tackle in the draft i expect them cutting humpries and his 9.5 million salary
You really think they would cut Humphries? This will only be like his 4th yr. If they can find another top notch left tackle in the draft maybe i guess? The "air raid" offense doesn't require as much blocking time, QB has to go through his reads quicker & get rid of the ball, that being said, Humphries won't have to block as long on pass plays. 9.5 million, wow, didn't realize his cap number was so high.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I agree with you & i thought about that also. Hopefully we aren't done drafting & signing players on the off line? I want them to sign another big name free agent left guard or draft one. Shipley will be back & cole can rotate between center & guard. Lupati is too injury prone. Keep Cunningham maybe & draft a few in the 4-5 rounds. I'm not sure how many off linemen they keep each yr but if I had to guess right now, 8 would be a good number. Humphries, cole, Shipley, Pugh & Gilbert. That's 5 right there not counting lupati & Cunningham. Lupati I'm not sure of his contract yrs or even if they plan on keeping him, I think Cunningham may be a UFA?

Iupati is a free agent, Cunningham is on year 2 of his rookie deal...I have to believe they sign at least an OG and draft an OT and OG. Word was they liked Oday Aboushi who was on the team the end of the year and would like to re-sign him but hope that isn’t the extent of their addressing the OL in free agency.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The offseason is starting out pretty good...add a few more in free agency and have a quality draft and we are on our way to being competitive.

No the signings aren't world beaters but all of them are upgrades over what we had last season.
I still cringe thinking about how miserable the off line was last yr on every snap, that & the play calling. I agree with you, adding Gilbert improves the off line alot. Even with his injury problems, nothing is guaranteed play to play, we could draft or sign a top notch off lineman & during one play in one game, preseason, regular season, training camp or OTA's, bam, torn whatever. I like the direction SK has taken so far.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
maybe im just jaded after the last few years, but:

Keim keeps betting that oft-injured players will suddenly play 14/15/16 games a season

Guys like this make you think a position is addressed -- maybe even coming out of training camp -- only to watch him go on the DL for the last 11 games of the season.

These holes are easier to address constructively now vs week 6 of the season
I agree but it only takes one play whenever to land a player on IR, young or old. Yes, one would rather have a younger player & take their chances but adding Gilbert seems much better than what we had last yr. Maybe kugler & the Steelers old RB coach we have now, knows something we don't?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
can't wait for week 8 when we're starting guys off the street and everyone lauding this move is defending Keim because there was no way anyone could have seen these injuries coming to the LT and RT... again.

That's 4.9 million dollars that can't be spent on someone who will actually be on the field. Not a fan. Hope to be proven wrong but time and time and time and time and time and time again Keim has signed or wasted high picks on perpetually injured players and more often than not those guys come as advertised... sitting on the bench.
I know where you're coming from on that, seems like the same old song & dance every yr, we sign a player or players on the off line & it doesn't change anything or they end up on IR. Let it play out, this is only the beginning, free agency officially starts this coming Wednesday. Hopefully the cardinals aren't done with moves on the off line? Our OL problems have to change at some point for the better, why not this coming season? I'm being optimistic obviously but enough is enough with bad off line play & luck.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hope he puts a lot of padding in the back of his helmet because at 6'-6" Murray is going to be hitting him in the back of the head a lot. :D
They are not drafting Murray. Even if they do, watch him throw the ball, he just doesn't get balls batted down at the line of scrimmage. He throws from many angles, sidearmed at times to avoid that. He's a baseball player also which explains being able to throw from different arm angles. He's had less balls batted down in college in one yr than any other QB in any one particular yr. No, I'm not saying good things about Murray because i want them drafting him, I don't. Maybe you were being funny lol?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
He’s very talented and often injured. We have Korey Kunningham as the backup. Probably add OT in the draft.

He is also in a contract year so he should be very motivated. I’d make that trade for a 6th any day.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Iupati is a free agent, Cunningham is on year 2 of his rookie deal...I have to believe they sign at least an OG and draft an OT and OG. Word was they liked Oday Aboushi who was on the team the end of the year and would like to re-sign him but hope that isn’t the extent of their addressing the OL in free agency.
Here's a name for you, bunchy Stallings at Kentucky. I've watched him for 4 yrs now, he had a pancake block against Florida this yr to spring Benny Snell free for a first down to end their 33 game winning streak against us. Put the dude flat on his ass lol. Look it up on you tube. Dude ended up being all SEC off lineman. Mel kiper Jr at one point had him going in the 4-5 rounds. He's a beast, plays left guard & would be a definite upgrade there over lupati right now.

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Here's the deal, Murray was able to compensate by getting outside of the pocket to find passing lanes. If he stays in the pocket he will have to lob throws over lineman which will increase the chances of throwing INT's. If I'm an NFL DC I contain him in pocket and have my DL keeping their arms raised high.
Simply not true, another false statement some keeping saying here about Murray!!! 80% of his passes came from the pocket last season. Plus it helps when you’re in the shotgun most of the time.

Nice try though lol