Suns @ Clippers 2-13-19

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Outside of SF and Ayton Booker, I would say the rest of the team needs re worked If you can't get lucky in the draft and some point you have to make some kind of move, the only moves this front office makes is helping out other teams by taking crap players like johnson, I'll stand by my statement I made at the beginning of the year, trading Booker could be the best move this franchise could make if they get multiple players that can contribute and form a more well rounded team this team doesn't gel , could be Igor but not sure an average point guard changes much

It does appear that way, but trading everyone would be short-sighted. Bridges is already an elite defender, Oubre is playing well, Jackson has shown some incredible stuff. Holmes and Melton are actually good backups. There isn't one player on this team that's an issue or a problem. It's the LACK of competent point guard and a power forward that's causing issues. On top of that, they've been without their probably best point guard and the closest thing they have to a PF, who also happens to be their best shooter. We are all angry, disappointed, anxious, and all that crap, but that's exactly why the Suns shouldn't panic. I am not a fan of building by tanking, but that's the path they choose. Now they can't reverse the course. It's too late. There is talent on this team, it's just very young talent at three positions.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It does appear that way, but trading everyone would be short-sighted. Bridges is already an elite defender, Oubre is playing well, Jackson has shown some incredible stuff. Holmes and Melton are actually good backups. There isn't one player on this team that's an issue or a problem. It's the LACK of competent point guard and a power forward that's causing issues. On top of that, they've been without their probably best point guard and the closest thing they have to a PF, who also happens to be their best shooter. We are all angry, disappointed, anxious, and all that crap, but that's exactly why the Suns shouldn't panic. I am not a fan of building by tanking, but that's the path they choose. Now they can't reverse the course. It's too late. There is talent on this team, it's just very young talent at three positions.
You can ignore this, Stef :) but you left out the part about a Head Coach who is not right for this team. And no real GM.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Clippers scored 72 points in the paint tonight. Can't beat teams playing defense like this.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I kind of want Igor fired just so I can watch everyone freak out when the next coach gets the same results. Are you guys watching the games? Players suck. Greg Popovich couldn't get this team anywhere.
We won like double the games last year with less talent and Triano, I beg to differ.

Igor is garbage

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I kind of want Igor fired just so I can watch everyone freak out when the next coach gets the same results. Are you guys watching the games? Players suck. Greg Popovich couldn't get this team anywhere.

I disagree. I think Booker, Ayton, Warren, Oubre, and Josh Jackson (at the very least) are solid to very good players who’d be significant contributors on playoff teams. Problem #1 is no PG of substance. Even if we had a guy like Bledsoe on this team, we’d be miles better. Problem #2 is coaching. Ayton and Booker are being criminally misused. The substitution patterns are head scratching. Ayton wasn’t in foul trouble, but only got 13 minutes in the first half and still dropped 14? Good way to throw a young guy’s timing off. I actually think Pop would make this team competitive. Igor has no personality. He looks lost and he’s supposed to be the leader.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So far, Tyler Johnson has shot 5/26 as a Sun.
This is why I was telling trying to tell Chap that Tyler Johnson is equally as garbage of a player as Ryan Anderson yet he kept telling me otherwise.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not true at all. This team has talent. Your gonna tell me teams like Brooklyn and Sac have that much more talent than us? Nope

Booker is a better player than any guys on those rosters. Booker, Ayton, Warren, Oubre, Jackson, Bridges all quality players.

How come Booker and Ayton never run a 2 man game they could pick and pop all day long but nope keep chucking 3s

And if Booker tries taking over and doing too much on his own the people here call for him to be traded so what is he supposed to do?

People are saying this year we're trying to win but can't while last year we won when we were trying to lose but who gives you this idea the team is now winning and they weren't last year? Is anything different being said by the powers that be with the Suns? The only difference is we don't have posters celebrating a tank here this year. If there was I think things wouldn't devolve into "Igor is awful" in every post, regardless of what it's about.

Where you at @pokerface ? We need our tank commander! You brought us Ayton last year, it's time to bring us Zion!

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is why I was telling trying to tell Chap that Tyler Johnson is equally as garbage of a player as Ryan Anderson yet he kept telling me otherwise.

Like I said, we were better off keeping Anderson.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
neither can James Jones.

The ONLY way this team moves forward is if they go out and hand the keys to castle to someone who COMMANDS respect in the FO and Sarver backs the F off.

Having a team full of youth, coach by a first time coach, with a first time GM is complete and utter stupidity.[/QUOTE]

This is a very good assessment.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
It all boils down to leadership. You can have great basketball minds, Igor and Jones, and very good players, Booker, Ayton etc... but without true leadership you are going no where.

This team does not have a defined leader and that is my underlying concern with Igor. Does anyone really believe that if Pop was the couch of this team we'd be seeing the same results.

Found this in an article from Nov 2017, (I haven't confirmed it). Pop has only led his team to four straight losses four times during his career. And he has never coached a team to a losing streak longer than that. No 5s, no 6s, no 7s...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Don’t go patting yourself on the back too much, slump or no, he’s still a better player than Ryan Anderson today.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It all boils down to leadership. You can have great basketball minds, Igor and Jones, and very good players, Booker, Ayton etc... but without true leadership you are going no where.

This team does not have a defined leader and that is my underlying concern with Igor. Does anyone really believe that if Pop was the couch of this team we'd be seeing the same results.

Found this in an article from Nov 2017, (I haven't confirmed it). Pop has only led his team to four straight losses four times during his career. And he has never coached a team to a losing streak longer than that. No 5s, no 6s, no 7s...

Pop is an incredible coach and I'm sure he'd do better with this group than rookie Koko or probably any other Head Coach but we'd still be near the bottom of the league IMO. Pop has never coached a roster like this. To the best of my knowledge no NBA Coach has ever coached a roster like this. Combining this much youth with a total absence of mid-career veterans is a recipe for disaster.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

That is amazing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Don’t go patting yourself on the back too much, slump or no, he’s still a better player than Ryan Anderson today.
Man I don’t know. I watched him last night and he was simply dreadful at literally every aspect of the game. It got so bad I was waiting for him to just fall down having tripped over his own feet. He was that bad.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But but but ayton’s defense is good! He said so. Big Puss.

It's not just Ayton. The Suns defense is bad all around. This is where I think coaching would have more of an impact. Everything cannot be laid at the feet of the players or rationalized away.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Like we found out a couple weeks ago, we can't even trade for a bona fide star like Anthony Davis because we don't have any contracts that would match up. Virtually every player on the team is on his rookie contract and doesn't make squat. And they ain't taking Tyler Johnson for Anthony Davis.

It was mentioned before and it is exactly like the Cardinals predicament last season. Rookie HC, Rookie OC most of the year, Rookie QB, 0/5 on offensive line staying intact for the year.
No hope of offensive effectiveness.

This team needs Zion. Badly. PF for the ages, like Karl Malone. Get a veteran PG, no matter the cost, get a winner, and we'll be okay in the roster department. Coaching??? That's above my pay grade, but anyone would look smarter with a better roster.

Remember a couple years ago, when we couldn't win because we had too many point guards? What the hell?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's not just Ayton. The Suns defense is bad all around. This is where I think coaching would have more of an impact. Everything cannot be laid at the feet of the players or rationalized away.
Oh it’s definitely an all hands on deck to suck scenario for sure.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think I've moved squarely into the fire Igor camp. There is enough talent on this team NOT to lose as much as they have. He's part of the problem; before Igor the team had no offensive system, now the team has an ill fitting system.

It sucks, because Budenholzer was probably the guy who could've gotten more. I like the moves Jones has made; flipping Ariza for a young player that can play, and flipping Anderson's contract for a guy who has one more year, and thus is one that can actually fit in on a deal and he can actually play some minutes is a good deal for the Suns.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What I fear is that the Suns have become what the Cardinals used to be: crippled by utterly incompetent ownership. Either Sarver is really bad at hiring basketball minds, or he is meddling so much that effectively takes on the GM role at times.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Like someone said on RealGM last night, I would rather watch Ryan Anderson earn his $30M from the bench than have to watch Tyler Johnson play.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I've moved squarely into the fire Igor camp. There is enough talent on this team NOT to lose as much as they have. He's part of the problem; before Igor the team had no offensive system, now the team has an ill fitting system.

It sucks, because Budenholzer was probably the guy who could've gotten more. I like the moves Jones has made; flipping Ariza for a young player that can play, and flipping Anderson's contract for a guy who has one more year, and thus is one that can actually fit in on a deal and he can actually play some minutes is a good deal for the Suns.

I haven't but I understand why others have. But if we had been a stable organization and this was our first year with a new Head Coach in several years, I'd probably move on from him too. We haven't given him a real NBA roster but the way this team folded up and quit against the Clippers was truly an embarrassment.

Given that we've changed Head Coaches many times in the post Nash era, I think we're better off being slow on the trigger with management changes. I'm not even sure I'd fire him in the offseason although if a great candidate became available I would certainly consider it.

Provided the right roster, I think Koko can coach in this league. But in addition to under-utilizing our center, we have no shooters and we're running an offense that appears to need multiple outside threats. If I were Jones and Sarver, at a minimum, I'd want to know why he hasn't adjusted his system and when he's planning on doing so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't but I understand why others have. But if we had been a stable organization and this was our first year with a new Head Coach in several years, I'd probably move on from him too. We haven't given him a real NBA roster but the way this team folded up and quit against the Clippers was truly an embarrassment.

Given that we've changed Head Coaches many times in the post Nash era, I think we're better off being slow on the trigger with management changes. I'm not even sure I'd fire him in the offseason although if a great candidate became available I would certainly consider it.

Provided the right roster, I think Koko can coach in this league. But in addition to under-utilizing our center, we have no shooters and we're running an offense that appears to need multiple outside threats. If I were Jones and Sarver, at a minimum, I'd want to know why he hasn't adjusted his system and when he's planning on doing so.

this is all pretty fair.

I seriously question Koko's skills as a Head Coach, but could be arm-barred into giving him one more year with a PG and a promise to adjust his coaching staff/offense/defense to take better advantage of Ayton's skills... but at the same time worry what another absolutely atrocious year does to our youngins who already seem beyond frustrated.

If they were to actually bring in someone of consequence, who I respected and that person wanted to give Koko one more year, I'd feel a little better about it, but man... having James Jones make that call leaves me terrified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard