ESPN Top-50 Free Agents

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a deep draft for WR and KK will know how to maximize the talent.

95% sure we have Fitz back and of course we have Kirk. Sherfield showed some potential. I would cut Chad Williams.

Geronimo Allison is an interesting player. He is a RFA and I can't see the Packers putting a high tender on him (he was an UDFA) or matching a decent offer (5-6m/year). I don't know how he fits in the Air Raid but I really like his potential as a WR.

I would take 2 WR in the draft, try to trade for a veteran, and I would take a low cost flier on Corey Coleman. See what he did at Baylor (spread offense):

You must be registered for see images attach

Why cut Chad Williams?

This new system may be a fit.

Leave it to training camp to work things out.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Honestly, Trent Brown should be the Cardinals top FA target. He proved this year he can play LT and had stretches where he was elite.

Throw $15 million at him and release Humphries, so he only really costs $7 million.

i think the "release Humphries" thing has to be first

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly, Trent Brown should be the Cardinals top FA target. He proved this year he can play LT and had stretches where he was elite.

Throw $15 million at him and release Humphries, so he only really costs $7 million.

No.. he'll really costs $15m - $6m more than Humphries. The price of several depth players and / or Barksdale at RT.

And 'honestly' I doubt very much that they're stepping away from H

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Watch Trent Brown on the only td in the super bowl. He fires off the ball , takes his guy head on and simply throws him to the right. Impressive.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Trent Brown was a great 7th rd draft pick but I am not going to pay the guy 15m.

I don't think Cunningham is that far away from rookie Trent Brown.

McGlinchey is the antithesis of Brown. Brown has always been steady in pass protection, whereas McGlinchey’s strength is in run blocking. Again, on the surface, that would appear to be a loss for San Francisco, primarily due to the fact the NFL is a pass-first league now.

The rookie right tackle gave up four sacks in 2018, which doesn’t look great. But head coach Kyle Shanahan wanted to get his run game going last year. In this area, McGlinchey was exceptional. Pro Football Focus gave McGlinchey the third highest run-blocking grade in the NFL last season (78.2).

Brown’s was 64.6 — 31st among qualifiers.

In 2017, Shanahan was forced to frequently design run plays to the left side of the line, avoiding Brown’s lackluster run-blocking skills in a zone scheme. With McGlinchey in the picture, the 49ers run plays could go either direction with effectiveness.

https://ninernoise.com/2019/02/02/49ers-benefited-2018-trade-trent-brown-patriots/

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What are the cap ramifications for cutting Humphries? Is the $9.5 fully guaranteed at this point whether he’s cut or not?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Trent Brown was a great 7th rd draft pick but I am not going to pay the guy 15m.

I don't think Cunningham is that far away from rookie Trent Brown.

McGlinchey is the antithesis of Brown. Brown has always been steady in pass protection, whereas McGlinchey’s strength is in run blocking. Again, on the surface, that would appear to be a loss for San Francisco, primarily due to the fact the NFL is a pass-first league now.

The rookie right tackle gave up four sacks in 2018, which doesn’t look great. But head coach Kyle Shanahan wanted to get his run game going last year. In this area, McGlinchey was exceptional. Pro Football Focus gave McGlinchey the third highest run-blocking grade in the NFL last season (78.2).

Brown’s was 64.6 — 31st among qualifiers.

In 2017, Shanahan was forced to frequently design run plays to the left side of the line, avoiding Brown’s lackluster run-blocking skills in a zone scheme. With McGlinchey in the picture, the 49ers run plays could go either direction with effectiveness.

https://ninernoise.com/2019/02/02/49ers-benefited-2018-trade-trent-brown-patriots/

But Brown played this year at LT and was really good for stretches of the year.

Right now I wouldn't laud any of the personnel moves the Niners are making. Letting go of a legitimately good tackle and filling the hole you created with a 1st round pick is bad personnel management. Make the scheme fit the player.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
But Brown played this year at LT and was really good for stretches of the year.

Right now I wouldn't laud any of the personnel moves the Niners are making. Letting go of a legitimately good tackle and filling the hole you created with a 1st round pick is bad personnel management. Make the scheme fit the player.
It's a bad example, as Shanahan's scheme is very unique with emphasis on outside zone runs, movement and rollouts. Trent Brown is a mountain. He can move people in the power run game and use his size to protect a pocket passer. But he doesn't fit what Shanahan wants to do. Like at all. Scheme was probably the biggest reason the 49ers hired Shanahan, so he wouldn't switch it for one good player.

On a side note, Cards hiring KK is more about his creative mindset rather than hiring him to run a college style Air Raid offense. Shanahan is a great mind as well, but only within his scheme which is carved in stone. And frankly, it's been working over many years on many different teams.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No.. he'll really costs $15m - $6m more than Humphries. The price of several depth players and / or Barksdale at RT.

And 'honestly' I doubt very much that they're stepping away from H

$9 million dollars playing probably 8 games? That's pretty crappy value. The biggest problem with the Cardinals offensive line isn't depth. The problem is that the team lacks good players. IF you have a Trent Brown and a really good guard, the rest of the line would play a lot better.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
$0. He's on his 5th year qualifying option, which can be rescinded at any time.

I actually don't think this is true. I think that he'll fail his physical in March, and that 5th year option is going to be completely guaranteed.

That option is guaranteed for injury only, and Humphries is battling through a knee injury. All it has to be is not healed by the 1st day of the league year.

This is the problem that the Jags ran into with Bortles. He had an injured hand heading into the offseason, and they were going to have to guarantee all of his option. They extended him instead, lowering his cap number in 2018, but they are still bascially committed to him in 2019.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I actually don't think this is true. I think that he'll fail his physical in March, and that 5th year option is going to be completely guaranteed.

That option is guaranteed for injury only, and Humphries is battling through a knee injury. All it has to be is not healed by the 1st day of the league year.

This is the problem that the Jags ran into with Bortles. He had an injured hand heading into the offseason, and they were going to have to guarantee all of his option. They extended him instead, lowering his cap number in 2018, but they are still bascially committed to him in 2019.

Yes it is a possibility.

Even with Humphries cap number, I'd still consider signing a highly paid LT. As you well know, the positions you build your team around is QB, LT, CB, and pass rusher. As others have pointed out numerous times, the Cardinals are actually fairly well constructed at these positions, but Humphries is just such a huge question mark. I think the team still needs to prioritize finding a good LT.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yes it is a possibility.

Even with Humphries cap number, I'd still consider signing a highly paid LT. As you well know, the positions you build your team around is QB, LT, CB, and pass rusher. As others have pointed out numerous times, the Cardinals are actually fairly well constructed at these positions, but Humphries is just such a huge question mark. I think the team still needs to prioritize finding a good LT.

I don't really mind one way or another. Humphries isn't dependable; you just have to live with the 30% chance he goes somewhere else and becomes Kyle Vanden Bosch.

I think you should caveat emptor these New England offensive linemen, though. Dante Scarneccia is basically the best OL coach in the league, and there's no telling how these guys will perform outside that system.

Who was the last NE OL to meet or exceed their free agent contract after leaving?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't really mind one way or another. Humphries isn't dependable; you just have to live with the 30% chance he goes somewhere else and becomes Kyle Vanden Bosch.

I think you should caveat emptor these New England offensive linemen, though. Dante Scarneccia is basically the best OL coach in the league, and there's no telling how these guys will perform outside that system.

Who was the last NE OL to meet or exceed their free agent contract after leaving?

Brown was pretty darn good with SF before he was traded to NE though. He's a mountainous man with good strength and can get to the second level. The only problem with Brown is whether he truly can play LT outside of NEs system because he was RT before.

What like is that he is still really young.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
$9 million dollars playing probably 8 games? That's pretty crappy value. The biggest problem with the Cardinals offensive line isn't depth. The problem is that the team lacks good players. IF you have a Trent Brown and a really good guard, the rest of the line would play a lot better.

1. Humphries does not lack talent.
2. I have no idea how many games he'll play and neither do you.
3. A left side of Humphries, Pugh and Cole at centre is OK by me.

The big questions IMO are on the right side: RG? and RT? (perhaps Barksdale at RT). At RG I'd check with KC about a trade: they have two solid RG's under contract (Wylie & Laurent Duvernay Tardif MD.)

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
+1

Picking up Andy Lee hasn't exactly flopped, has it? A quality kicking game - BOTH kickers - is yuuuuuge. Really perplexes me when a team lets a quality k/p walk over a few bucks. So difficult to replace.

The best kicker, and the best punter ever to exist, had they both been on our roster last year, would have done nothing more than possibly win 1 more game.....and robbed us from a 1rst rd overall.

I agree with you in theory.... But not in a year when the whole damn thing was a dumpster fire.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave