ESPN Top-50 Free Agents

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't understand this. What would be a waste in putting him at OLB in a 3-4? He is small for a 3-4 DE and that is where he would get beat up and be put in a situation to fail.

Exactly the same knock on his brother, that he wouldn’t work in a 3-4 and was only a 4-3 DE. I personally don’t buy that argument. In my opinion him being an OLB would require him to at times drop into coverage which is a complete waste of his skills. Let him set the edge and get after the passer

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Exactly the same knock on his brother, that he wouldn’t work in a 3-4 and was only a 4-3 DE. I personally don’t buy that argument. In my opinion him being an OLB would require him to at times drop into coverage which is a complete waste of his skills. Let him set the edge and get after the passer

Setting the edge is where I think he would suffer. Big OTs would push him inside, maybe even a WR crashing down would do it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Bosa doesn't play DE San Diego's 3-4, he plays OLB. They move him around in EVEN fronts, but he is strictly an EDGE guy in base packages.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I hope we don’t go after Trent Brown.
He is a great pass blocker and that is about all that he offers.
I hope we don’t go after Trent Brown.
He is a great pass blocker and that is about all that he offers.
Brady gets the ball out so quick that he makes his OTs look better than they are. See Nate Solder

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we have players on this roster that are capable and will perform better under this staff. For instance , I keep hearing how the air raid offense will not require our olinemen to protect for 5 seconds. Maybe instead of FA like Tyrell Williams a couple of guys like Beasley or Humphries( ala Edelman) would serve us better. So many questions . This is going to be a fun and at times aggravating off season!

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Interesting that Honey Badger still hasn't returned to elite form. ACL injuries are terrible!

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Why does everyone keep thinking Bosa would be confined in any defensive system to one role/position/would be forced into playing to his weaknesses?

Considering we would have Jones AND Bosa, we would have the flexibility to move them around from our base defense, to pass rush packages standing up, to an even front look with a hand in the ground, ect., all based on situations and match ups.

This is literally what we have lacked since... I dunno... Forever? That's the entire point of having two elite EDGE guys.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Bring in Mosley to give our defense a heart. He should be our #1 priority. We have elite playmakers at the CB and edge rusher position, but no heart, no identity. Mosley is the best ILB after Kuechly and Wagner. He will be worth every penny we throw at him, even if it means overpaying.

As for WR I'd take a look at Dorsett. He was drafted in the 1st round with the Colts as a raw talent with blazing speed. He finally broke through with the Pats, being not only used as a deep threat but also in other ways. Finally mastered the art of route running and catching the ball consistently. He is the WR who fits KK most and is still young enough to keep improving.

Can't judge OL. Jawuan James looks like a solid player. But I don't know what KK demands in terms of blocking. I would think it will be more of a zone blocking scheme, although I really have no clue.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bring in Mosley to give our defense a heart. He should be our #1 priority. We have elite playmakers at the CB and edge rusher position, but no heart, no identity. Mosley is the best ILB after Kuechly and Wagner. He will be worth every penny we throw at him, even if it means overpaying.

As for WR I'd take a look at Dorsett. He was drafted in the 1st round with the Colts as a raw talent with blazing speed. He finally broke through with the Pats, being not only used as a deep threat but also in other ways. Finally mastered the art of route running and catching the ball consistently. He is the WR who fits KK most and is still young enough to keep improving.
Interesting ideas.

We really need a stud ILB to solidify the D and Mosley would be a big upgrade

Don't know much about Dorsett, but you make good points

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Can't judge OL. Jawuan James looks like a solid player. But I don't know what KK demands in terms of blocking. I would think it will be more of a zone blocking scheme, although I really have no clue.

I'm warming to the idea of Mosley, but Dorsett??? Not much of a deep threat averaging 9 yards per catch. Dude is hot garbage. No better than Chad Williams.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like the idea of Dorsett. He essentially would replace what Nelson was SUPPOSED to be. I also agree with Mosely. Assuming we draft Bosa he would make the 4th lb better whether that is Bynes , Reddick , Buchanon or someone else. Suddenly a huge weakness would become a huge strength. We HAVE to add an experience olineman or two. Rather than name names it has to be a guy that fits and makes sense for our system.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I very much doubt if we draft Bosa it will be as a OLB, most probably keep him as DE, otherwise he’s wasted for his talents
OLB-types in the 3-4 become DE's in the 4-3.

DE's in the 3-4 are usually tree-trunk types who weigh closer to 300 than, say, 260.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Mark Glowinski off the market. :-(

Wow...great job by the Colts.

They locked down the #17 G (PFF) at age 26 for not even top 20 current contract dollars for guards. 6m/year.

Pugh is averaging 9m.

Colts signed RG Mark Glowinski to a three-year, $18 million extension through 2021.
The deal includes a $4.2 million signing bonus. Glowinski entered 2018 as a backup, but he took over as the starter at right guard in Week 6 and never looked back. This deal strongly suggests the Colts expect him to hold down that job moving forward. Glowinski will turn 27 in May. Jan 29 - 10:51 AM
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Honestly, Trent Brown should be the Cardinals top FA target. He proved this year he can play LT and had stretches where he was elite.

Throw $15 million at him and release Humphries, so he only really costs $7 million.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, Trent Brown should be the Cardinals top FA target. He proved this year he can play LT and had stretches where he was elite.

Throw $15 million at him and release Humphries, so he only really costs $7 million.
Is Trent Brown a upgrade over Humphries?
I don’t watch the patriots, but the last I heard Trent Brown was a great pass blocker and so-so run blocker.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Trent Brown a upgrade over Humphries?
I don’t watch the patriots, but the last I heard Trent Brown was a great pass blocker and so-so run blocker.
I was high on this guy at first, but I fear the "Patriots System" might make him better than he is. I'm not going to get hung up on names. I have faith that KK knows what he needs in an offensive lineman to fit his style. I also don't like the thought of using up 25% of our cap space for one guy.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Brown, who is remarkably nimble for a man his size, still wasn’t an ideal run-blocker in head coach Kyle Shanahan’s zone-blocking scheme, which emphasizes movement skills. In addition, there were ongoing concerns about Brown’s work ethic and passion. Those issues help explain why, despite Brown’s immense talent, he started just 11 games at Florida and was a seventh-round pick in 2015.

Brown consistently reported for the offseason program overweight during his three seasons with the 49ers. After he missed the final part of the 2017 season because of a torn labrum, general manager John Lynch pointedly noted last year, without prompting, that Brown wasn’t performing his offseason rehab at the 49ers’ facility as other players were doing.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/a...wn-playing-for-a-Super-Bowl-ring-13581854.php

This week, Brown told NBC Sports Bay Area during media availability in Atlanta that he thought his name has been “slandered” by the “bullcrap” that had been said about him. However, he also admitted his pregame preparation still doesn’t include much video study.

“I feel like I don’t need to watch film,” he said. “I play my game and use the techniques my coaches teach me and (am) able to work on daily. And people have to come play Trent Brown.”

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

He had a great year.

Is he an upgrade over Humphries? He's bigger, stronger, but doesn't move quite as well. He has a much better injury history however and he proved over the past few years to be one of the better tackles in the NFL.

When the 9ers drafted McGlinchley last year, more than a few personnel people were shocked because they already had Staley and Brown.

I would say he's an upgrade.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was high on this guy at first, but I fear the "Patriots System" might make him better than he is. I'm not going to get hung up on names. I have faith that KK knows what he needs in an offensive lineman to fit his style. I also don't like the thought of using up 25% of our cap space for one guy.

25% of the cap space would be used at maybe the second most important position on a football team.

I like a healthy Humphries, but if you have a shot at a guy who is better AND stays healthy, you make the move.

Trent Brown would automatically be the best OLineman on the team and is probably better than any OLineman than the team has had in years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Although I would love to have any of the top five on this list, I'm going to start with players outside the top ten which I think is a bit more realistic.

1. DT Grady Jarrett- This guy has played very well. He's a disruptive force inside and he has stayed healthy all but three games in four years. Draft Bosa and our front seven looks pretty intimidating.

2. ILB C.J. Mosley- Team him up with Reddick inside and have Chandler Jones and Bosa on the outside rushing and setting the edge. Mosley has four probowls and stays healthy missing only 3 games in five years.

3. CB Bradley Roby- I have a feeling that our new DC will bring him over to be our number two CB. He was a number one pick for Denver in 2014. I will be surprised if he's not our number two.

4. OT Ja'Wuan James- This guy is a good RT. He's in his prime and only 26. Former first round pick in 2014.

5. WR Tyrell Williams- We need another receiver badly and he is pretty good. At 6-4 he's got the height and can go up for the ball as an outside receiver. I think Kirk will be our slot guy going forward. I also think we will draft a receiver this year in the first four rounds. Devin Funchess and Adam Humphries are also guys what we should have interest in at WR. There will be some guys that get released to add to the list, but these guys I think are doable when it comes to signing with the money that we have this year.

I can see the Cardinals signing a guy like Ja'Wuan James and then drafting another lineman at the top of the second. I just think we will bring in two starting caliber linemen this year as well as two starting wide receivers.
I would be all over this list. But I will be surprised if we sign even one of them.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
RT Trent Brown, LB CJ Mosley, CB Steven Nelson, or DE Grady Jarrett and we're on our way.

Wouldn't mind either Golden Tate or KJ Wright either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson