Kyler Murray entering Draft

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anyone wanting to draft Murray over Haskins must not have seen a lot of games from both. The difference between the two in terms of NFL capability is not even debatable.

Yes, Murray is a great college QB. Yes, odds are decent he could have a career in NFL as either as a servicable starter or backup. But you're talking about a guy who can get folded in a single play moreso than the a avg sized QB. The speed and rushing was a big part of his success in 2018, but how willing are you to run a guy smaller than most us on this forum against NFL size and speed defenders often enough to take advantage of it?

Haskins has the size and durability you want in an NFL QB. Murray is a very good passer but Haskins is on a different planet. His arm strength and accuracy are objectively better. This kid can throw passes while on the run and even without a foot on the ground with insane speed, depth and accuracy... you just don't see constitent placement like whether planted or on the run. You see really good QBs every year in college, but it has been a while since I've seen one who makes me feel like I'm seeing some talent I struggle to remember the last time I've seen it before. The guy feels pressure amazingly while in the pocket, makes quick reads, adjusts protections and I can probably count on both hands the number of bad throws I've seen out of his 500+ passes this season.

Speaking of passes Haskins threw 533 passes this year with 70% completion in a conference that plays defense in a pro style offense. Murray threw 377 passes for 69% in a conference that is terrible at D and in a system that is arguably more explosive and better at producing offsense at the college level, and especially in the B12.

Haskins threw 41% more passes than Murray in a pro styled offense with a better completion rate and only 1 extra int.

Haskins is clutch and poised. He stepped off the bench in the biggest game of the year in 2017 and was a machine and never stopped. Murray plays very well in pressure situations also but I still have to give the nod to Haskins.

No one has a crystal ball but if you took both QBs and put them on the same NFL team getting the same amount of reps I would have no problem betting the farm on Haskins to be hands down better than Murray.

I think both are better than Rosen, but the only one I would consider spending an early first round pick on is Haskins.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
Anyone wanting to draft Murray over Haskins must not have seen a lot of games from both. The difference between the two in terms of NFL capability is not even debatable.

Yes, Murray is a great college QB. Yes, odds are decent he could have a career in NFL as either as a servicable starter or backup. But you're talking about a guy who can get folded in a single play moreso than the a avg sized QB. The speed and rushing was a big part of his success in 2018, but how willing are you to run a guy smaller than most us on this forum against NFL size and speed defenders often enough to take advantage of it?

Haskins has the size and durability you want in an NFL QB. Murray is a very good passer but Haskins is on a different planet. His arm strength and accuracy are objectively better. This kid can throw passes while on the run and even without a foot on the ground with insane speed, depth and accuracy... you just don't see constitent placement like whether planted or on the run. You see really good QBs every year in college, but it has been a while since I've seen one who makes me feel like I'm seeing some talent I struggle to remember the last time I've seen it before. The guy feels pressure amazingly while in the pocket, makes quick reads, adjusts protections and I can probably count on both hands the number of bad throws I've seen out of his 500+ passes this season.

Speaking of passes Haskins threw 533 passes this year with 70% completion in a conference that plays defense in a pro style offense. Murray threw 377 passes for 69% in a conference that is terrible at D and in a system that is arguably more explosive and better at producing offsense at the college level, and especially in the B12.

Haskins threw 41% more passes than Murray in a pro styled offense with a better completion rate and only 1 extra int.

Haskins is clutch and poised. He stepped off the bench in the biggest game of the year in 2017 and was a machine and never stopped. Murray plays very well in pressure situations also but I still have to give the nod to Haskins.

No one has a crystal ball but if you took both QBs and put them on the same NFL team getting the same amount of reps I would have no problem betting the farm on Haskins to be hands down better than Murray.

I think both are better than Rosen, but the only one I would consider spending an early first round pick on is Haskins.
The terrible defense that you said the Big 12 has beat the almighty SEC 3 out of 4 games in the bowl games.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score

Funny there was an article that came out today/yesterday that compared Murray vs Haskins.

I encourage everyone to take a look at it.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/10/dwayne-haskins-vs-kyler-murray/

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Funny there was an article that came out today/yesterday that compared Murray vs Haskins.

I encourage everyone to take a look at it.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/10/dwayne-haskins-vs-kyler-murray/
Great article...interesting.

Oh no, this is going to piss of Cbus especially 2 Sooner QBs in a row.

I’ll be shocked if Murray goes before Haskins, but I do know he’s a great QB without a doubt. I’ve personally watched him prove the doubters wrong since HS. He’s the greatest HS QB of all time in the state of Texas imo!!! I’ve only seen Haskins 3 times as was impressed as well.

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
Great article...interesting.

Oh no, this is going to piss of Cbus especially 2 Sooner QBs in a row.

I’ll be shocked if Murray goes before Haskins, but I do know he’s a great QB without a doubt. I’ve personally watched him prove the doubters wrong since HS. He’s the greatest HS QB of all time in the state of Texas imo!!! I’ve only seen Haskins 3 times as was impressed as well.

I stand with Kliff on the “freak” comment about Kyler. He may be a midget by NFL standards, but his speed/quickness and arm strength/accuracy are a pretty awesome combination. I think he’s a better version of Manziel with none of the drug/alcohol issues.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I watched Murray one-on-one in open field against run defenders multiple, multiple times this year, including versions of of this match up against TX and AL, two very good defenses with excellent athletes.

It was never even close. In fact, it looked unfair.

It looked like a video game where the difficulty mode had been turned down to "easy". Murray just motored around those guys like they were standing still. It was comical.

Plus the kids arm is a little better than Mayfield's. His accuracy shocked me in the first few games of the season. But then I remembered he's a big-time baseball player, and his throwing mechanics are one of the reasons he was drafted in the 1st round by the As, and why they gave him 5 million dollars.

This is deja vu. People hated on Mayfield, doubted him. Said Darnold was better, Allen was better, Rosen was better. They found a million reasons not to draft the hiesman trophy winner ahead of the other QB prospects. And so, once again, i'm a little frustrated with some of you.

I'm not quite ready to say Murray is an equal pro prospect to Mayfield, because this idea didn't warrant consideration until now. But I know I don't like it when you guys dismiss him out of hand. When you give him zero chance to be a star.

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
I watched Murray one-on-one in open field against run defenders multiple, multiple times this year, including versions of of this match up against TX and AL, two very good defenses with excellent athletes.

It looked like a video game where the difficulty mode had been turned down to "easy". Murray just motored around those guys like they were standing still. It was comical.

Plus the kids arm is a little better than Mayfield's. His accuracy shocked me in the first few games of the season. But then I remembered he's a big-time baseball player, and his throwing mechanics are one of the reasons he was drafted in the 1st round by the As, and why they gave him 5 million dollars.

This is deja vu. People hated on Mayfield, doubted him. Said Darnold was better, Allen was better, Rosen was better. They found a million reasons not to draft the hiesman trophy winner ahead of the other QB prospects. And so, once again, i'm a little frustrated with some of you.

I'm not quite ready to say Murray is an equal pro prospect to Mayfield, because this idea didn't warrant consideration until now. But I know I don't like it when you guys dismiss him out of hand. When you give him zero chance to be a star.

I think he is an incredible talent, a better version (faster/better arm) of Johnny Manziel with none of Johnny's character baggage. The height issue for Murray could kill him with NFL front offices though. If he measures 5-8 at the Combine, it's pretty much a killer for his chances to go Top 5.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just from watching Murray highlights.

1. That kid is just a natural gunslinger. His throwing is just so instinctive and not the mechanical motion that most NFL Qb's have (including Rosen).
2. He is one of the fastest players I think I have ever seen. He is not just fast going down the field, he is cat quick in the pocket. It is really hard for players to get a solid hit on him.
3. He had amazing protection this year.
4. Hollywood Brown. I like that kid.
5. I think Murray is going to be very successful in the NFL in an offense that is built around his abilities. However, injuries could play a huge factor. If he does get injuried, the team is done because no QB is going to be able to come in and fit in a system built for Murray.
6. I think he is better than Rosen. Tough. When you have the #1 pick, you take the best, most impactful player. This is like having Clyde Drexler on your roster and Michael Jordan on the draft board.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

I think most don`t want to see the Cards draft a short QB because how many short Qbs have had success in the NFL?I am talking 5-8 ,5-9 maybe 5-10. Doug Flutie? Flutie had a decent career but is that what you want out of your #1 pick?If the kid was 6`0 I doubt this would even be a issue but 5`8 or 5`9 ?Sure he has skills but remember the NFL is not the Big 12 or college .

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Well said & I totally agree for year 2 in a row. Coming from a Horns fan lol

With that said Big Red needs to somehow find a way to draft WR Lil Jordan Humphrey, he’s going to be an NFL stud. A perfect fit for the Air Raid imo.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Well said & I totally agree for year 2 in a row. Coming from a Horns fan lol

With that said Big Red needs to somehow find a way to draft WR Lil Jordan Humphrey, he’s going to be an NFL stud. A perfect fit for the Air Raid imo.

I agree. He has size (6"4" 225) and speed. Think he might shoot up the draft board after the combine.

I'm really surprised Collin Johnson didn't declare.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...r-murray-jaguars-trade-up-for-dwayne-haskins/

This mock has Murray going to Pats near the end of 1st round.

"
If Kyler Murray declares as expected, the 2019 NFL Draft will be significantly more interesting. Which team takes the risk on the small but uber-talented Heisman quarterback? When will he be picked?

2019 NFL Draft: Here's why Kyler Murray should play in the NFL and pass on baseball
In this mock, he "falls" to the end of the first round but lands in an amazing situation where he can be groomed by one of the greatest quarterbacks inNFLhistory.

At this point, when all is said and done, it seems like four quarterbacks will land in Round 1."

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Keep drafting QB's until we have a bonafide star. I would have no problem having Rosen and Murray on the same roster until one proves better than the other.

How would you feel if the Cards drafted one of the other QBs in RD 2 or 3?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He’s 5’9” I’ve stood by him a couple times here in Dallas. And as small as he looks to some on TV he’s built better than most would think. He’s thick for a smaller person
I stood next to Vick once and at 6'3" I towered over him. He and DJax looked like they would blow over in a strong wind.

Kyler seems to be more stocky & Thick IMO. The question is, will he build up his body more like Russell Wilson to be able to absorb more hits. And will his frame allow for that without losing that blinding "Cheat Mode" level speed and quickness.

Man I hope he does all the drills at the combine. His Sparq score will be off the charts IMO.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Keep drafting QB's until we have a bonafide star. I would have no problem having Rosen and Murray on the same roster until one proves better than the other.

I agree to an extent, but Rosen gets this year to prove himself. And if he isn't much improved at the end of next year, move on.

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree to an extent, but Rosen gets this year to prove himself. And if he isn't much improved at the end of next year, move on.

Next couple months are pretty important. Rosen needs to make a good impression on Kliff when they start working together. The bad attitude reputation for Rosen needs to be a thing of the past. I believe with Kliff's background leading some very productive offenses that Rosen will be pretty happy to work with him. So far it seems he is pretty excited about the new coach.

Last edited: