Kyler Murray entering Draft

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
If Chip Kelly can get Sam Bradford and Nick Foles to work in his system, I have faith that Kliff can do similar with Rosen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oh I definitely think Kliff can have plenty of success with Rosen. He has a good arm and when he gets in a groove, he can kick a lot of butt as we saw in some of those games at UCLA.

Kyler is an exciting talent with his scrambling ability. He's also much more accurate than your typical scrambling QB. He is more along the lines of Mahomes with more speed. Pat has the bigger arm and a much bigger body to absorb NFL hits.

So that's probably the biggest question for Kyler. He's pretty much a midget. He was so fast this year I don't think any college guys were able to get a decent hit on him. Will that speed translate to NFL? Can he avoid the big hit against grown men that are much bigger, stronger, faster than any defensive players he has seen so far in his career?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Guys, it's simple: you do not risk your 1st round pick (no matter where it falls), especially #1 overall, on a guy who's 1 legit NFL hit/concussion/sprain away from pulling the ripcords and going to MLB.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Webb was signed to active roster late in the season. I do like the idea though...would have to hope he get gets cut or trade a late pick for him (or Glennon). :)
:puts Mitch hat on:

Trade with G-Men

Cards get:
-2019 6th overall pick
-2019 37th overall pick
-2019 96th overall pick
-2020 1st round pick
-2020 3rd round pick
-Davis Webb

Giants get:
-2019 1st overall pick
-2019 191st overall pick
-Mike Glennon

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
A big hell no to a midget QB.The NFL isn`t the Big 12 non-defensive league.For those dazzled by the Russell ilson comparisons what happens if you draft midgetboy and he is Doug Flutie version2? That might be okay if he was drafted in RD 3-4 but is that a chance you want to take with Murray?His size is already 1 strike against him.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
:puts Mitch hat on:

Trade with G-Men

Cards get:
-2019 6th overall pick
-2019 37th overall pick
-2019 96th overall pick
-2020 1st round pick
-2020 3rd round pick
-Davis Webb

Giants get:
-2019 1st overall pick
-2019 191st overall pick
-Mike Glennon
No way Giants would go for that in my opinion

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. Any way you look at it, it makes the first pick more valuable, and so it's a good break for us.

Yep anything that boosts the value of the first overall pick is good news for the Cardinals. Hopefully Murray has an amazing workout and a bunch of teams start bidding for the Cardinals first pick.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I bet this will play out a lot like last year's draft.

There was all the blah blah blah about Mayfield's size and character issues and everything, but in the end, GMs (at least one) just couldn't resist a home-run type QB prospect. Too tantalizing.

No GM is going to want to be the one that passed on the "next Baker Mayfield". That's not necessarily what Murray is, but its the story the media will tell.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I bet this will play out a lot like last year's draft.

There was all the blah blah blah about Mayfield's size and character issues and everything, but in the end, GMs (at least one) just couldn't resist a home-run type QB prospect. Too tantalizing.

No GM is going to want to be the one that passed on the "next Baker Mayfield". That's not necessarily what Murray is, but its the story the media will tell.

Mayfield is what 2-3 inches taller and a bit heavier than murray isn`t he.You just don`t take a chance with your #1 pick on a undersized relatively inexperienced QB from a conference known for being poor defensively(Murray)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mayfield is what 2-3 inches taller and a bit heavier than murray isn`t he.You just don`t take a chance with your #1 pick on a undersized relatively inexperienced QB from a conference known for being poor defensively(Murray)

He is the same height as Russell Wilson.

You just need to hope that a couple of teams will be blinded by their need for a QBOTF. There are four possible teams that need a QBOTF in the top half of the draft (Giants, Jags, Broncos, Dolphins). The Cardinals just need two of them to fall in love with one of the QBs in the draft.

OP
OP
PACardsFan

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kingsbury has a few months before the draft to spend time with Rosen. Personally, I’ll always lean towards a 6’5” QB than a 5’8” guy. The thing that stood out the most with Kyler was his ability to make people miss & his 3 extra gears of speed. In the NFL, you can take away 2 gears of speed from him. He’s special, but injuries can eliminate special real quick.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
He is the same height as Russell Wilson.

You just need to hope that a couple of teams will be blinded by their need for a QBOTF. There are four possible teams that need a QBOTF in the top half of the draft (Giants, Jags, Broncos, Dolphins). The Cardinals just need two of them to fall in love with one of the QBs in the draft.

I doubt Murray is the same height as Wilson.i think 5`10 is being generous.I have read that Haskins from OHioSTate wants to play for his hometown NYGiants and that the Giants really like him...so there could be some movement there.You never know what Elway will do in Denver...I agree Miami could make a play...Jax I don`t know?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Man, I hear what you're saying, but your post has a familiar tone. :) Similar to posts last year about Mayfield.

And remember, last year, Mayfield posted the most prolific stats in college QB history, which probably factored into him being selected #1 overall.

This year, Murray equaled or exceeded all of those numbers. What do you say to that sir?

I'm not being advocate for Murray here. I'm just playing Devil's advocate for your argument. Just to keep us entertained this morning.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Man, I hear what you're saying, but your post has a familiar tone. :) Similar to posts last year about Mayfield.

And remember, last year, Mayfield posted the most prolific stats in college QB history, which probably factored into him being selected #1 overall.

This year, Murray equaled or exceeded all of those numbers. What do you say to that sir?

I'm not being advocate for Murray here. I'm just playing Devil's advocate for your argument. Just to keep us entertained this morning.[/QUOTE

If Murray was 6 feet or taller and not a runt and wasn't a skinny little guy and he was a not more experienced and if he didn't have any red flags them I would put him under consideration.Since he isn't getting any taller and only has17 career starts and played in a poor defensive conference.....those are red flags for me.I can't stand Mayfield but he is and likely will be light years better than Murray will ever be.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Think a lot of talk about Murray going in the 1st is the so-called "incentive" of guaranteed money he needs. People are thinking that he'd opt for baseball if he doesn't have enough guaranteed money.

I don't believe he'd actually do that though. He's shown over the year that he loves football more than baseball. I bet he'd take less guaranteed money to be able to play QB in the NFL, even if that meant him being a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Perfect storm in my opinion. I would have KK continue his praise for Murray until the draft. Teams have to believe he is a legit option for us at number 1. Id even float the idea that KK took the job with the idea of picking Murray at #1. Sure Murray coming out was announced after the selection of the HC but that doesn't mean they didn't speak prior to KK becoming a HC .

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Perfect storm in my opinion. I would have KK continue his praise for Murray until the draft. Teams have to believe he is a legit option for us at number 1. Id even float the idea that KK took the job with the idea of picking Murray at #1. Sure Murray coming out was announced after the selection of the HC but that doesn't mean they didn't speak prior to KK becoming a HC .

Sir, I like the way you think :)

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Exactly, the Cards would be doing a disservice to themselves if they didn't play up Murray.

If it's just smoke, tell Rosen not to believe anything.

The supply of QB's is less than the demand. Some may say there doesn't seem to be a top of the 1st round QB in the draft, but by the time the draft arrives, we still may see 3 QB's go in the top 5 or 10.

Combine numbers pushed Wentz and Trubisky up, they can push a guy or two up this year.

If Murray measures a bit bigger than most believe and blows up the combine, and Haskins looks legit, we could easily be in the catbird seat for a trade down to a QB needy team. Maybe even two. It doesn't even have to necessarily be for a QB. Maybe someone likes Bosa more than we do. Maybe then someone wants one of the QB's, or whatever.

We shouldn't limit ourselves to anything. We sucked last year. Try to control the draft and reap the benefits. Play the #1 position for all it is worth.

Now is our best chance to build a foundation for the KK era.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
Exactly, the Cards would be doing a disservice to themselves if they didn't play up Murray.

The supply of QB's is less than the demand. Some may say there doesn't seem to be a top of the 1st round QB in the draft, but by the time the draft arrives, we still may see 3 QB's go in the top 5 or 10.

Combine numbers pushed Wentz and Trubisky up, they can push a guy or two up this year.

If Murray measures a bit bigger than most believe and blows up the combine, and Haskins looks legit, we could easily be in the catbird seat for a trade down to a QB needy team. Maybe even two. It doesn't even have to necessarily be for a QB. Maybe someone likes Bosa more than we do. Maybe then someone wants one of the QB's, or whatever.

We shouldn't limit ourselves to anything. We sucked last year. Try to control the draft and reap the benefits. Play the #1 position for all it is worth.

I stood next to the guy at a Thunder game, there's NO WAY he's 5'10".

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score

I totally agree. I would even go as far as purposely leaking that Rosen is on the trading block to further this narrative. All the while telling Rosen it is only posturing, in order to obtain a ransom of draft picks for the #1 spot.

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
I totally agree. I would even go as far as purposely leaking that Rosen is on the trading block to further this narrative. All the while telling Rosen it is only posturing, in order to obtain a ransom of draft picks for the #1 spot.

I agree with your strategy, but sounds like the organization is going the opposite direction. Ian Rapoport posted on Twitter this afternoon that a high level Cardinals person told him trading Rosen is ludicrous and not happening.