2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They have VanVleet and Delon Wright, how many more PG's do they need? Greedy Canucks.

Well, maybe if they acquire a stop gap Lowry replacement/insurance, it will make Wright or VanVleet available for us...

Errntknght

Reaction score
I spotted another young PG with some striking stats. He sat on the pine for Denver last year but he'd getting 25 mpg this year. Shooting .465, .441 (on 3.8/36), .784 this seaon. The striking stat is ast/TO = 5.7, second best in hte league. Denver isn't likely to want to trade him, but he might well want to be given as shot at starting someplace soon. Definitely someone to keep an eye on. Edit: Oh, his name is Monte Morris. 6'3 175, 23 years old so 2 years older than Jamal Murray. You can see why he'd be interested in a new team.

Last edited:

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I spotted another young PG with some striking stats. He sat on the pine for Denver last year but he'd getting 25 mpg this year. Shooting .465, .441 (on 3.8/36), .784 this seaon. The striking stat is ast/TO = 5.7, second best in hte league. Denver isn't likely to want to trade him, but he might well want to be given as shot at starting someplace soon. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

The cool thing about Monte Morris is that he also had a freakishly great assist-to-turnover ratio all four years at Iowa State. It's what he does.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spotted another young PG with some striking stats. He sat on the pine for Denver last year but he'd getting 25 mpg this year. Shooting .465, .441 (on 3.8/36), .784 this seaon. The striking stat is ast/TO = 5.7, second best in hte league. Denver isn't likely to want to trade him, but he might well want to be given as shot at starting someplace soon. Definitely someone to keep an eye on. Edit: Oh, his name is Monte Morris. 6'3 175, 23 years old so 2 years older than Jamal Murray. You can see why he'd be interested in a new team.

Yeah, I jumped on his bandwagon in November after a visitor brought his name up here. Prior to that, I really knew almost nothing about him. I can't see Denver letting him go though, although admittedly I fantasized about it here when Milsap went down again.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They have VanVleet and Delon Wright, how many more PG's do they need? Greedy Canucks.
Kyle Lowry is soon to be 33 or 34 and only has one more season remaining on his contract. His body is starting to break down with injuries and such too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Point guard Cameron Payne is expected to sign with the Cavaliers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
All these crappy PGs won't make a difference for us.

We need a PG who can not only shoot, but also defend and what is most striking to me right now can get into the paint and put pressure on the defense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All these crappy PGs won't make a difference for us.

We need a PG who can not only shoot, but also defend and what is most striking to me right now can get into the paint and put pressure on the defense.

For me, it's finding a temporary solution at point guard to make it through the season.

I'm not looking for wins but rather someone who can run the team so the Suns do not look so disorganized on offense and defense. The way the Suns play now, can't be good in developing the young players.

I agree with your description of what the Suns long term point guard should look like. Hopefully the Suns find someone this summer.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For me, it's finding a temporary solution at point guard to make it through the season.

I'm not looking for wins but rather someone who can run the team so the Suns do not look so disorganized on offense and defense. The way the Suns play now, can't be good in developing the young players.

This is precisely what I was thinking when I harped on the lack of a point guard in preseason.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we all have been harping for a point guard the past two seasons.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think we all have been harping for a point guard the past two seasons.

But too many people on this board thought the team would be fine if we just waited until the summer of 2019 to fill the position, and that going through the season without one would not negatively impact the development of the young core.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
What should be striking is how all of these other teams can find two or three decent to serviceable PGs and the Suns can't even find ONE.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What should be striking is how all of these other teams can find two or three decent to serviceable PGs and the Suns can't even find ONE.

For some reason Kemba Walker, Tony Parker and Devonte' Graham of the Hornets really drove this point home for me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting. Not too many years ago we had one decent point guard but we were horrible and even that point guard said he needed some help. So we added another point guard and much of the internet sports world went ballistic, arguing how shortsighted it was to acquire an almost free point guard when we had other needs. Then, after it worked but one of the guards was starting to look un-signable, we went out and acquired another almost free point guard. You should have heard all the complaints here and even from one of the players although we actually played extremely well when all 3 bought into the team game.

I guess from this mess the Front Office learned how unimportant point guards were and decided to dump the PGs and stock up on wings instead. So now, of course, people are often complaining about having too many wings and at least one of those wings appears to occasionally sulk at the idea of there being so much competition at his position (ala Dragic). The wheel turns, will we have a center glut next?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I'd hesitate to call Dragic a decent PG.

If you don't call Bledsoe a decent PG, then Dragic certainly isn't one either.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd hesitate to call Dragic a decent PG.

If you don't call Bledsoe a decent PG, then Dragic certainly isn't one either.

Oh, I'd call them both decent but I wouldn't call either of them great. And except for when Bledsoe is actually playing defense, I'd give the edge to Goran. Dragic has certainly had the better career.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Third team All-NBA and an All Star appearance. I'd call that "decent" at the very minimum.

and Jeff Teague made an allstar game too, so did Jamaal Magloire

only reason Dragic ever was an allstar is because he was the 5th replacement in the freaking East and only due to his team shortly being in the third seed at the time of the decision.

Devin Booker is already averaging more assists than Dragic ever managed.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Oh, I'd call them both decent but I wouldn't call either of them great. And except for when Bledsoe is actually playing defense, I'd give the edge to Goran. Dragic has certainly had the better career.

better career based on what exactly?

Bledsoe is on a team that currently has the best record in the NBA and is a top 3 player on that team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
better career based on what exactly?

Bledsoe is on a team that currently has the best record in the NBA and is a top 3 player on that team.

Well, everything. And it's almost laughable to use the Bucks to show off Eric. That's like saying JR Smith was a great player because he played next to Lebron.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
and Jeff Teague made an allstar game too, so did Jamaal Magloire

only reason Dragic ever was an allstar is because he was the 5th replacement in the freaking East and only due to his team shorty being in the third seed at the time of the decision.

Devin Booker is already averaging more assists than Dragic ever managed.

Yet Bledsoe never made it. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard